Recovered - Giant Anthem1

mrmed

Hope you took the details of the SAPS. When they 'recovered' stuff from a burglary I endured (my neighbour found my goods under his tree is more like it), the SAPS stole more than the burglars did (because the neighbour realised the error he had made in handing it to the SAPS and made a list). And were decidedly reluctant to return the stuff, telling me how grateful I should be.

Well done though MrMed. I firmly believe that it is because cyclists are such soft targets that they keep getting targeted.

Nice to see more people being pro active in the fight against crime, especially bicycle related crime :thumbup:

Well done - BUT....

You endangered your life by grabbinbg the person.

He may very well have been armed, and the situation could have turned out quite differently to how it did.

By "seizing" the bike you also made yourself guilty of theft, in that you took possession of property that did not belong to you.

The illegal owner can very easily turn around and open a case against you, in that you took his property which he paid R1500-00 for.

His confession to you that he knew the bike was stolen won't easily hold up in court, as it will be regarded as hearsay, the word of one person against that of another.

In a perfect scenario you should have kept following the person, while summoning help, and then only acting when that help arrived.

We don't live in a perfect world where the perfect scenario always presents itself, so in this case I think you did the correct thing.

Should the smelly stuff hit the rotating device, the courts will decide the case on the merits of what the "average person" would do, and with the escalation of bikejackings, they could very well decide that you acted as a concerned citizen and did what any "average person" would do in a similar situation.

In the end all is well that ends well....

Well done - BUT....

He may very well have been armed, and the situation could have turned out quite differently to how it did.

By "seizing" the bike you also made yourself guilty of theft, in that you took possession of property that did not belong to you.

The illegal owner can very easily turn around and open a case against you, in that you took his property which he paid R1500-00 for.

His confession to you that he knew the bike was stolen won't easily hold up in court, as it will be regarded as hearsay, the word of one person against that of another.

In a perfect scenario you should have kept following the person, while summoning help, and then only acting when that help arrived.

We don't live in a perfect world where the perfect scenario always presents itself, so in this case I think you did the correct thing.

Should the smelly stuff hit the rotating device, the courts will decide the case on the merits of what the "average person" would do, and with the escalation of bikejackings, they could very well decide that you acted as a concerned citizen and did what any "average person" would do in a similar situation.

Interesting argument, as he imediately flagged down CHUBB and informed the Police....how can the "owner" say that it was stolen from him? Clearly the goods where taken and handed to the police?

Now the only question is, will the bike EVER make it to its owner or will it stay in the POLICE "custody" until they can sell it or whatever they do with un-claimed goods.

Well done - BUT....

Mr Med, You have big balls!! I'll give you that BELLS And to you Pezulu... stop being such a *****.

Well done - BUT....

The illegal owner can very easily turn around and open a case against you, in that you took his property which he paid R1500-00 (RECEIPT?) for.

BOLLOCKS !

If that is the case thought then Mr Med should have tacked assault on too... just to make it worth the wasted court date.

good on you MRmed you come to the westcoast ever the beer is on me yes you took a chance by confronting him not knowning if he was armed but the element of surprise is the big secret you better man than me :clap: :clap: :clap: i would have beat the living shirt out of him so he would never touch another stolen bike or steal a bike :angry: :angry: :angry:

Well done - BUT....

Disagree as the possession of stolen goods is a criminal offence even if the owner is unaware of it. The OP acted correctly.

and the owner knew it was stolen as said in previous post.

If you buy stolen goods and you get caught with it no matter how much you paid you were in the possession there of so you ca also be charged.