Vuelta a Espana 2012: 18 August - 09 September

'Dale

As the race has progressed, it has been interesting to see the change in everyone’s demeanor, including my own. The loud voices and constant joking have now given way to silent smiles followed by bland looks as we stare down at the mountains of food that await us every morning and night. Eating is becoming a chore. People are becoming more tense, small things are starting to annoy riders and staff alike; exhaustion amplifies even the tiniest of issues.

From Garmin-Cervelo rider, Andrew Talansky, in his 1st 3 week tour.

:)

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez Louise looking at how Wiggo's body was squeeling up the 23% about 2km from the finish yesterday I think the courses are hard.. really. Cobo was one of the only guys who looked strong enough to peddle through the steep parts out the saddle. Wonder If he was using different gearing? In fact they had to be.. Unless they were doing 18km/h up there, cause the cadence never dropped below 70rpm..

anyone know If they would run compact gearing? I run 11-25 and up kloofnek my cadence gets below 70 on the 3rd rep..thats only 8-10%

1.The climb up to the top taken early on.

2. Wiggo squealing

3. Cobo, obviously also in the hurtbox, but looked much more composed on tv.

photo"s from steephill.tv

post-1279-0-20121500-1315307576.jpg

post-1279-0-39428900-1315307604.jpg

post-1279-0-04066600-1315307628.jpg

Jeez Louise looking at how Wiggo's body was squeeling up the 23% about 2km from the finish yesterday I think the courses are hard.. really. Cobo was one of the only guys who looked strong enough to peddle through the steep parts out the saddle. Wonder If he was using different gearing? In fact they had to be.. Unless they were doing 18km/h up there, cause the cadence never dropped below 70rpm..

anyone know If they would run compact gearing? I run 11-25 and up kloofnek my cadence gets below 70 on the 3rd rep..thats only 8-10%

No compact as far as I am aware, Cobo used a 34/29 and Wiggins a 36/29. Average speed on the 23% gradient bit - 8kmph.

No compact as far as I am aware, Cobo used a 34/29 and Wiggins a 36/29. Average speed on the 23% gradient bit - 8kmph.

Thought so.. I evan that 36-25 would hurt.. espesh at that distance and 2 weeks into a stage race... I think we forget that sometime... I meen My legs probably produce only 70% of my potential at the end of a 4hr Mtb..

These guys are Madmen

Bit of an easy sprint yesterday for Saxo when some of the sprinting pack took the wrong turn :unsure: , did you see Sagan, he would have made a Red Bull motorcycle stunt rider jealous with that sideways slide and still managing to stay upright.

I just love the way some teams race, Cofidis in particular, they have been in almost every break and have animated the race from the front, unlike Saxo Bank who have really disappointed me with their race attitude, they have seldom been in breaks, never attack and you can almost always find them sulking at the back. Yesterdays win was not because they deserved it in my opinion, they were the only ones who were not impeded by the chasing pack taking the wrong turn.

Going to be another good stage today, mountain top finish and Cobo will surely come under attack. He looks strong though and no shortage of experience in the team with Sastre and Menchov.

I think the holder the jersey today will take it through to Madrid, barring any accidents of course, so I expect fireworks.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Bit of an easy sprint yesterday for Saxo when some of the sprinting pack took the wrong turn :unsure: , did you see Sagan, he would have made a Red Bull motorcycle stunt rider jealous with that sideways slide and still managing to stay upright.

I just love the way some teams race, Cofidis in particular, they have been in almost every break and have animated the race from the front, unlike Saxo Bank who have really disappointed me with their race attitude, they have seldom been in breaks, never attack and you can almost always find them sulking at the back. Yesterdays win was not because they deserved it in my opinion, they were the only ones who were not impeded by the chasing pack taking the wrong turn.

Going to be another good stage today, mountain top finish and Cobo will surely come under attack. He looks strong though and no shortage of experience in the team with Sastre and Menchov.

I think the holder the jersey today will take it through to Madrid, barring any accidents of course, so I expect fireworks.

Cobo might win this race...but I am going to be very dissapionted if Sky does nothing today but wait for the final climb...they need to take the race to him in a big way.Lets hope for those fireworks!!

Cobo might win this race...but I am going to be very dissapionted if Sky does nothing today but wait for the final climb...they need to take the race to him in a big way.Lets hope for those fireworks!!

left it late

1. 17:03:44 CEST
    Incredible, Froome comes past Cobo and puts in a searing acceleration.

1. 17:09:07 CEST
    Froome passed Kobo on the inside of the final left hand bend with one immense, last-ditch effort.

2. 17:08:36 CEST
    Bauke Mollema comes home in 3rd place just ahead of a valiant Dan Martin.

3. 17:08:13 CEST
    Froome pegs back 8 bonus seconds on Cobo, but both riders cross the line exhausted.

4. 17:07:42 CEST
    Froome gets the win. The Sky rider delved deep into the mythical suitcase of pain to come around Cobo.

As far as I know, the only way you can fit a 34 (definitely) or a 36 (maybe) on the front is to use a compact.

I must say, Chris jumped in my favorite cyclist cat!!

Yeah, what a boytjie...

I look forward to the highlights package.

:)

This years Vuelta has really been great so far.

BTW where is Airbender - he is normally very active on these racing threads.