Vuelta a Espana 2012: 18 August - 09 September

'Dale

Ah the youngsters with short memories...

Does 2nd at the tour count?

That rings a bell, Eldron.

:mellow:

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That rings a bell, Eldron.

:mellow:

To be fair it was sometime ago - 2004 I think...

Kloden has also been fragile. Much like Herr Jan illness, injury and bad luck has robbed Kloden of more than a few victories.

Would be cool to see Kloden snag a grand tour before he retires...

"Contador's case before the CAS was scheduled for August but WADA asked that it be delayed. CAS said the case will be heard in November"

Sandy and Francy?

Bwahahahahaha.

Man - the Shlecks overly tight brotherly antics really didn't do their PR any good.

I see the french are calling Andy "Torticollis" now. It means stiff neck (from all the looking around he was doing during the tour).

The Silent Killer makes a return.

His team, Geox-TMX, alongside Sastre, did not make it to the TdF.

Winner of the Vuelta in 2005 and 2007 when he was riding with Rabobank, Menchov said that he is fired up to contend for the title again. “I’ve got a real hunger for the bike and a real desire to win the Vuelta. The route looks hard to me, very demanding considering the late stage of the season when it takes place. But you have to go there with the right attitude. I know the climbs and key points well, and I know how you need to ride there.

If Wiggo makes the start I'll put a few virtual Rand on him - despite Phil's best efforts to make me dislike him.

Is Conty riding?

Sagan for a few stage wins too. If trained correctly I think Sagan might have a short tour or two in him!

Naa, 'Berto says "No Vuelta at the moment" - odd because he made a big noise about wanting to win all three, maybe he feels a bit despondent at the moment.

Personally, I hope he changes his mind and rides, the Vuelta tradionally has more hills than flats :D so it should suit him well.

The Silent Killer makes a return.

His team, Geox-TMX, alongside Sastre, did not make it to the TdF.

Winner of the Vuelta in 2005 and 2007 when he was riding with Rabobank, Menchov said that he is fired up to contend for the title again. “I’ve got a real hunger for the bike and a real desire to win the Vuelta. The route looks hard to me, very demanding considering the late stage of the season when it takes place. But you have to go there with the right attitude. I know the climbs and key points well, and I know how you need to ride there.

Love it when he is strong, think he could be a contender because he did not ride the tour this year. So he would have focussed he's training very specific for this tour.

Don't think the TDF crash riders like Braco,Wiggens and Kloden will be a factor. I see Kloden is still struggling just to do a ride longer than 3 hours and Wiggens won’t have any racing in he’s legs.

Plus peaking twice in 6weeks is not an easy thing to do for anybody…they might not be fatigued but they would have been very close to their best 3 weeks ago and you don’t just keep form like that for 2 months.

Ask Frank…he was very close to he’s best before last year’s tdf, crashed and was way off that form 6 weeks later!

Hmm, I don't know if Menchov is much of a contender anymore, seems to have lost a bit of lustre lately.

Agree on Wiggins and Kloden though, I used to like Kloden, always sort of thought he was a cut above the rest, but I wonder now if he has a tour win in him, I think he is a sort of Vino ability, but without the toughie attitude. :D

Hmm, I don't know if Menchov is much of a contender anymore, seems to have lost a bit of lustre lately.

Agree on Wiggins and Kloden though, I used to like Kloden, always sort of thought he was a cut above the rest, but I wonder now if he has a tour win in him, I think he is a sort of Vino ability, but without the toughie attitude. :D

Yes Kloden is a bit of a mystery.....he has all the abilities of a 3 week tour GC contender. He has shown he gets stronger in a tour…especially in the 3rd week. He’s TT ability is up there with the other GC guy’s and he climbs with the best when he is on a good day….

I think when he was at he’s best he’s problem was that he never really had the sole team leader role, maybe if he had a whole team behind him and him only 5 years ago he would have been able to grow into a Tour winner.

Edited by nochain

• 2 weeks later...

Andy and Frank will not be riding, this is the team taking part:

" The nine guys for Leopard Trek's third Grand Tour, the Vuelta a España: Daniele Bennati, Jakob Fuglsang, Fabian Cancellara, Maxime Monfort, Robert Wagner, Oliver Zaugg, Thomas Rohregger, Stuart O'Grady and Davide Viganò. "

Wiggins in search of that elusive Grand Tour win...

From cyclingnews.com

Bradley Wiggins makes his return to competitive action on Saturday as leader of a strong Sky line-up at the Vuelta a España. The Englishman has not raced since a broken collarbone ended his Tour de France challenge on stage 7.

Wiggins had entered the French race with high expectations after his victory at the Criterium du Dauphiné in June, and he will now be aiming to make amends for his ill fortune at the Tour with a strong showing in his debut Vuelta. He will be flanked by a solid cadre of climbers in Spain, including Thomas Lofkvist, Xabier Zandio and Dario Cioni.

Goooo Kloden. One of my favourite riders and this is probably his last real shot at a Grand Tour. His form going into the TdF was pretty good.

“I don’t go for the GC (gen er al clas si fi ca­tion) in the Vuelta Espana, the back is bet ter, but not 100 per cent, and the con­di tion to win a grand tour isn’t good enough,” Kloden on Twitter, not 100% since the crashes in the TdF.