Riding up the tokai dh track . Again.

jimmy hardtail

@DJR

ag ja wat. Nothing else to do except wife's coffee in bed, dress children, lunchbox, school runs and change nappies for those who crap themselves when a downhiller finally barrels around the corner and misses them by an ant's ball-hair!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just checked the pricing at Whistler

Whistler 1 day pass is $55 ... with a season pass (5 months) being $525

So if you dont convert that means that they are paying R55 a day to ride and R1260 for a year (12 months) membership!

So i seriously dont think that 50 bucks for a day pass is too much IF the park has a dedicated maintanence crew and trails manager as MM mentioned!!!

You think Giba is 40 bucks on a day pass and thats not bad ... REMEMBER AS WELL that everyone rushes off at the first sniff of a race and happily spends 100 to 150 bucks on entry ... or in Sani2C or those races in the region of R2000 A DAY ... but then they complain about 40 or 50 bucks ... (which if you think about it is only a McDonalds Meal these days ... hahaha

That big "IF". If you are a more casual rider who cannot afford the membership, R40/ day can be expensive.

If you are thinking of saving on an access card, do it sooner than later. As mentioned, a price hike in immanent and you may be surprised.

The rates are determined, not through infrastructure cost, but footprint in the reserves. Mr Gordon stated that cost is a control method to limiting human impact.traffic. Clever, but also brings in exclusivity factors, only the rich can afford arguments. This is why CT public are eligible for discounts, since it is your home, you should be able to enjoy it's facilities without being penalised by cost. Visitors are here for a limited time, so 40-50 bucks is nothing for daily access. If it is still too much, it looks like the Park has also got a x12 access card for R80.. you still need to load MTB on this card, but still cheaper if you mean to rider every day on your visit.

Edited by Pain or Shine

So if you dont convert that means that they are paying R55 a day to ride and R1260 for a year (12 months) membership!

So i seriously dont think that 50 bucks for a day pass is too much IF the park has a dedicated maintanence crew and trails manager as MM mentioned!!!

You think Giba is 40 bucks on a day pass and thats not bad ... REMEMBER AS WELL that everyone rushes off at the first sniff of a race and happily spends 100 to 150 bucks on entry ... or in Sani2C or those races in the region of R2000 A DAY ... but then they complain about 40 or 50 bucks ... (which if you think about it is only a McDonalds Meal these days ... hahaha

You can't compare this to Whistler unless you propose building ski lifts and proper NS trails. The infrastructure and trails there are far superior.

but you have to convert.

easiest is just a straight currency swap, otherwise use some levelised cost of living factor. go use the big mac model since you'r familiar with it. (burgernomics)

staying with burgers for the record, in 2004 for four months I flipped them in whistler for $6.50/hour ....try convert that to R6.50 at your local steers

You can't compare this to Whistler unless you propose building ski lifts and proper NS trails. The infrastructure and trails there are far superior.

ok that was a bad example - but i was just trying to prove a point that our prices here are ona par with everywhere else (if not a bit cheaper) ... but guys never fear ... I have just worked out the answer to ALL your worries!!!!

See the coming posts!

OK here goes .... looking at the google earth image and the Tokai Trail map supplied by IRIDEAFRICA ... the problem comes in over a 1km section of trail that links Fairie Garden and My Roots/Your Rocks to the upper trails of the Lizzard and Boulders ...

In this area there is only 1 trail (Vasbyt) that is linked at the top to DH 5 and links at the exit of Fairie Garden and the beginning of MyRoots. So dear friends ... why not look at adding in a dedicated UP trail on th eleft of the main access road??? As shown in Purple on my attached images ... The park could then create a dedicated clockwise rider flow with Fairie Garden becoming a dedicated UP trail that would link into my new proposed trail that then links to the Lizzard which i have then exited onto the access raod just before it joins DH 5 as this will stop 2 way contraflow! ... The UP trail then utalizes a small section of road to link onto the left turn to Boulders which is also then a dedicated UP route ... or continues up the road to access the dedicated DOWN runs of Mamba and Boomslang!

This would then leave Vasbyt open as your final run back down to the parking lot after a good days riding without worrying about dudes riding up it! (OH on the google images the UP routes are in Purple and the DOWN routes are in White)

What do you guys scheme????

post-16861-0-36187900-1312355762.jpg

post-16861-0-15397200-1312355786.jpg

post-16861-0-43376400-1312355802.jpg

post-16861-0-56467300-1312355814.jpg

Very good idea. These trails do exist now, unfortunately all the land on the left of the road is reserved for horse riders. There is a horse trail that goes up near the top of fairy garden that is super fun to ride down. Apparently. . .

All this talk of work and changes in Tokai ..... I would pay good money for a lift of sorts to the top of the mountain ;) I'd like to spend more riding time riding downhill... uphill is well .... not as much fun :)

Very good idea. These trails do exist now, unfortunately all the land on the left of the road is reserved for horse riders.

Ok so how about this one then?? Open a trail "below" Vasbyt that climbs up and then crosses over vabyt near the berms and then joins/crosses the access road next to that serious rooty section near the top of Vasbyt ....

?????????????????

post-16861-0-69087700-1312360908.jpg

That open area is all fynbos that has replaced the pine trees. No new trails can be cut through there. If you look on your pic you can see a straight trail parallel to the road. Thats the old dh trail. I beleive there are plans to fix it up cos at the moment its just a deep gully from all the rain earlier this year. So as you can see there are severe restrictions on making new trails. But i heard rumors of more access to other areas. Just have to wait and see. Btw how did you get involved in building world cup dh tracks?

That open area is all fynbos that has replaced the pine trees. No new trails can be cut through there. If you look on your pic you can see a straight trail parallel to the road. Thats the old dh trail. I beleive there are plans to fix it up cos at the moment its just a deep gully from all the rain earlier this year. So as you can see there are severe restrictions on making new trails. But i heard rumors of more access to other areas. Just have to wait and see. Btw how did you get involved in building world cup dh tracks?

Ok so then your only options are the following:

1) rebuild the OLD DH next to the road as an Up Trail - but this will be limited with corners etc and you will often still have guys riding up Vasbyt ...

2) approach the Tokai Forestry Commission (or whoever owns the land) with a proposal to build an UP trail on the left of the road as i have in my first post ... citing the MAJOR ISSUE of safety in the park etc ... and the issue of a unidirectional trail network and trails

or if these are out of the question ...

3) Just accept the fact that Vasbyt will HAVE to become a 2-way traffic trail and make adjustments accordingly by trying to limit the speed in this section!

Edited by nigelhicks

Btw how did you get involved in building world cup dh tracks?

I have been on the SA Racing Circuit since 1994 (HAvent raced NAtionals since i broke my leg in 2006) and have been building National a Provincial tracks in KZN since 1996 ... so the DH Committee in 2009 approached me to help them design and build the course then (Remember that I cant take ALL the credit as there are many riders who put their time and effort into the track in PMB and gave valuable ideas) the Committee at that point was run by Gary Browning and Brian Dinkelman and when they resigned in 2010 Brian asked me if i would stand in his place on the World Cup Committee as I have been around the longest and have the most experience in different tracks etc as I have been lucky enough to go over to Mt St Anne, Fort Bill and Vail (Not for Racing - just to watch the World Cups - but you still get a feel for the courses)! ... Now for 2012 I am on our KZN Committee and am in charge of organising and opening 6 tracks in KZN for our series!

Edited by nigelhicks

Guest Omega Man

Ok so then your only options are the following:

1) rebuild the OLD DH next to the road as an Up Trail - but this will be limited with corners etc and you will often still have guys riding up Vasbyt ...

2) approach the Tokai Forestry Commission (or whoever owns the land) with a proposal to build an UP trail on the left of the road as i have in my first post ... citing the MAJOR ISSUE of safety in the park etc ... and the issue of a unidirectional trail network and trails

or if these are out of the question ...

3) Just accept the fact that Vasbyt will HAVE to become a 2-way traffic trail and make adjustments accordingly by trying to limit the speed in this section!

Hey Nigel. The plan is to rebuild the old DH next to the road with jumps that build speed as a Downhill. There is elevation but not enough to really get shifting without jumps. Dom Bright has offered to get clay and about 5 or so downhillers (myself included) have offered to pay for a digger to drop and shape the clay there. It will be a cold day in hell before we pay for a xc line to be built there.

Of course the tw@ts that ride up the downhill trails, put zero effort in and generally are just dicks will inevitably ride up there and slowly but surely destroy any good work put in by us.

There is a trail exit for Vasbyt already. 2 in fact. One turns towards CT at the 3rd jump and winds through the forest for about 100m. I know cos I helped to build it. The other just pops out onto the road just before Vasbyt starts getting steep.

Sanparks won't allow any new entry and exit points on the existing trail network and no new trails on the open area. Maintenance only. This is the current state of affairs on that mountain.

I'm sorry if I seem negative here but my post reflects my general frustration around an area that I have been frequenting since I was 10.

Edited by Omega Man

Its a tough debate - but safety is the key issue here. I ride XC and use the single track in Tokai as technical uphill training. I am well aware of other riders (of all shapes, sizes, bike, and competency) that have right of way on the downhill. If you're educated about the risks, the up-rider needs to know that they must make way for the downhill rider.

This point hit home pretty hard for me about a month ago when I was rolling down Faerie Garden and a dad and his young son popped around a corner - right into my path. I had no choice but to go down like Flynn! I left a lot of elbow and knee skin on the track - and the dad still looked down at me and said: "wow - I saw you coming..." I was not a happy camper! He should've given way.

Like surfing, we need some hard and fast principles out there: DOWNHILL RIDERS HAVE RIGHT OF WAY. (Then those going downhill also need to come to the party and alert those coming uphill; send some earlier mates down to clear the track; warn others; tell uphill riders how many riders there are still to come etc - whatever. We all want to be safe)

Hey Nigel. The plan is to rebuild the old DH next to the road with jumps that build speed as a Downhill. There is elevation but not enough to really get shifting without jumps. Dom Bright has offered to get clay and about 5 or so downhillers (myself included) have offered to pay for a digger to drop and shape the clay there. It will be a cold day in hell before we pay for a xc line to be built there.

There is a trail exit for Vasbyt already. 2 in fact. One turns towards CT at the 3rd jump and winds through the forest for about 100m. I know cos I helped to build it. The other just pops out onto the road just before Vasbyt starts getting steep.

Sanparks won't allow any new entry and exit points on the existing trail network and no new trails on the open area. Maintenance only. This is the current state of affairs on that mountain.

I'm sorry if I seem negative here but my post reflects my general frustration around an area that I have been frequenting since I was 10.

Dont worry Dude - cus it happens everywhere ... but its all about education, signage and courtesy thats all!

OK so if as you guys say it stands with SANParks that you cant build any new trails (even in the forestry sections to the left of the road on the way up) heres your options ... you can ...

1) Rebuild the "old" DH next to the road (Shown in Purple) into an UP trail with some quick and easy maintenance - I saw there are those little kickers there next to the road but those are easy to ride around - then the Vasbyt extension with the berms (shown in Orange) would become a DEDICATED DOWN run ...

or

2) you rebuild the old DH (in Purple) into a new DH with massive BOOTERS for DH only! - BUT then you will have to allow for the Vasbyt extension (Orange) to either become oneway UP or accept that it is a 2way trail that can be ridden up OR down.

BUT - I would suggest having a sign below the big roots near the top of vasbyt that moves the UP trail onto the District Road - as above this you cant really see below you if you are coming down and thats a safety issue!

GOOD LUCK and I hope i have given you guys something to mull over!