The dope (er) Thread

TNT1

100% agreed, they all as guilty, the difference is they all cheated but only one won 7times,and raised huge awareness and $$$$$ doing it

I keep forgetting that "Get out of Jail free/Raised awareness card".

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From Drug-Free Sport

http://www.drugfreesport.org.za/news/

Annual Statistics Show Stimulants & Steroids are Dopers Drugs of Choice

Annual doping control statistics show anabolic steroids and stimulants are the performance enhancing drugs of choice among doping athletes, it was announced today, with the release of Institute for Drug-Free Sport’s (SAIDS) 2012 annual report, which also lists the names of athletes charged with doping offences.

This is according to SA Institute for Drug-Free Sport CEO, Khalid Galant, who says that the report lists a total of 55 rule violations across thirteen sports disciplines, for the period April 2011, to end of June 2012.

He points out that athletes continue to test positive through steroid use (18 cases) and stimulants (16). Twelve of the stimulant offences were for Methylhexaneamine, an increasingly popular ingredient in sports supplements.

Other banned substances that athletes tested positive for included Cannabinoids (13), Diuretics (4) and Glucocorticosteroid (3). In addition, three athletes were charged with ‘failure to comply’ in either trying evade or subvert the drug testing process.

“The concern we have is that athletes continue to have a ‘laissez faire’ attitude towards sports supplements even though they run the risk of it severely impacting on the longevity of their sports careers,” says Galant. “This is despite numerous warnings to treat the use of sport supplements with caution in the light of the numerous doping positives where athletes have attributed their positive results to supplements.”

Because the sports supplement market is not regulated, Galant says that manufacturers are not obligated to list all ingredients on the product label even though many sports supplements contain banned substances like anabolic steroids, pro hormones and stimulants that are often disguised under labeled ingredients such as ‘testosterone booster’ or ‘growth-hormone accelerator’, on the packaging of products.

Within this context, Galant says that SAIDS is encouraged by the setting up of shop in South Africa of the Informed Sport Program managed by world renowned HFL Sport Science, an international sports doping control laboratory, which he says will go along way to provide a higher level of confidence to the sports public pertaining to the efficacy and quality of ingredients of supplements.

“Informed Sport will analyse supplements to ascertain whether they contain banned substances in the product and when a product is ‘clean’, it will be certified with an Informed Sport Stamp,” he explains.

“In South Africa we have taken note that our athletes are becoming more litigious and are employing legal tactics in efforts to either delay or thwart the anti-doping legal process. Numerous athletes threaten us with lawsuits in the hope that the doping charges will be dropped.”

Some of the high profile doping cases over the past few months include Luvo Manyonga the long jumper who spoiled his chances of going to the London Olympics and Ludwick Mamabolo, Comrades marathon winner who faces a charge of doping after testing positive for the banned stimulant Methylhexaneamine after completing the race in May this year; and Lephetesang Adoro who came 7th in the Comrades marathon and who tested positive for testosterone and the banned corticosteroid, prednisone.

Galant says that the Institute’s proactive ‘I Play Fair. Say NO! to Doping’ education and awareness campaign around drug-free sport has catapulted doping issues into the mainstream and has raised the awareness and profile around doping and drugs in sport.

“It is through the campaign that school headmasters have approached SAIDS to address the rampant use of steroids among high school athletes,” he says.

He continues: “It is important that we continue to continue to raise the awareness around the dangers of drugs and doping in sport and that we utilise all means of communicating the message of drug-free sport across to our athletes, coaches and parents so that our athletes compete cleanly and fairly, free from drugs and doping.”

speaking of doping -

i'm busy reading "lance to landis" on my ipad in the evenings before bed. wow - eye opening stuff

Where can I find the book on iPad?

Should be interesting to read!

Still working my way through this transcript.

Interesting and worth a read about the controversial cyclist in F L

http://nyvelocity.co...1/landiskimmage

I think a lot of what Landis said in his confessions (and of course his personality) was trashed and discredited by a very effective PR machine, however that dont mean his confessions were not true...........from what I can ascertain from recent proceedings he could well have been telling the truth but nobody was ready to hear it at the time - however I think when Tygart releases his transcripts soon we will know a lot more, and I have a sneaky feeling he could be vindicated,......... however I doubt he will ever get an apology.

Yeah, GOG...

Check this quote:

Q: Practically every doper in the last five years has been welcomed back to the sport with open arms but not you. What was it about you?

FL: Because I tried to point out the corruption in the system; they didn’t point at the UCI, they didn’t point at WADA but godammit I won’t go down like that, I won’t be that guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Fränk Schleck's hearing before the Luxembourg Anti-doping Agency has been put back one week and will now be hold on Monday, October 15, the agency has announced. There was no reason given for the delay.

Houanard provisionally suspended for EPO

AG2R Frenchman fails out-of-competition test

The UCI has provisionally suspended Steve Houanard (AG2R La Mondiale) for EPO use following the results of an out-of-competition test conducted on September 21, 2012.

"The decision to provisionally suspend this rider was made in response to a report from the WADA accredited laboratory in Barcelona indicating an adverse analytical finding of EPO in a urine sample," read a statement from the UCI. "The provisional suspension of Mr Houanard remains in force until a hearing panel convened by the French Cycling Federation determines whether he has committed an anti-doping rule violation under article 21 of the UCI Anti-Doping Rules. Houanard has the right to request and attend the analysis of his B sample."

The 26-year-old Frenchman is currently at the Tour of Beijing, the final WorldTour event of the 2012 season, where he finished 21st on the opening stage. AG2R La Mondiale has withdrawn Houanard from competition and he will remain sidelined while the French Cycling Federation conducts its disciplinary proceedings.

http://www.cyclingne...spended-for-epo

Edited by TNT1

Houanard took EPO for WorldTour points, alleges Ag2r manager

Lavenu concerned about team stability

Little-known rider Steve Houanard may have chosen to take EPO as a result of not having his AG2r La Mondiale contract renewed says team manager Vincent Lavenu. The 26-year-old was informed by team management at the Canadian WorldTour races, where he finished 22nd and 41st at GP Québec and GP Montéal respectively that he would not be continuing with the French outfit in 2013.

It was this news delivered in Canada and subsequent desperation to get results that may have caused Houanard to take EPO ahead of his final race of the year, the Tour of Beijing. Houanard had finished the Stage 1 in 21st-place just hours before the results of his positive test were published.

"I was with him [Houanard] in Canada and there I told him we do not keep him in the team. I had told him that the door is not 100% closed, but he knew it would be difficult to change our mind. I think this has triggered a reaction that he can no longer fool," said team manager Vincent Lavenu to L’Equipe.

http://www.cyclingne...es-ag2r-manager

Edited by TNT1

• 2 weeks later...

It’s tragic that of all people in the news this week we see Christophe Bassons banned for a year. But this doesn’t change much, he has such a stock of credibility that few would imagine him skipping a test for anything other than an admin error or simply fatigue. For many it’s the equivalent of an anti-mafia crusader getting a parking ticket.

Read more here:

http://inrng.com/2012/10/christophe-bassons-given-one-year-doping-ban/#more-11435

It’s tragic that of all people in the news this week we see Christophe Bassons banned for a year. But this doesn’t change much, he has such a stock of credibility that few would imagine him skipping a test for anything other than an admin error or simply fatigue. For many it’s the equivalent of an anti-mafia crusader getting a parking ticket.

Read more here:

http://inrng.com/2012/10/christophe-bassons-given-one-year-doping-ban/#more-11435

That smacks of rank bad luck.

He withdraws from a MTB race at a point close to his home and goes straight there, only to be told his name was up at the finish on the doping control list.

For that he gets a year ? I suppose it is better than 2.

FFS, does anybody know where the doping control list at 94.7 is, because i usually just roll through and cycle home.....

Edited by eddy

• 3 weeks later...

Where's GOG for this news:

“Our rules say that a rider cannot have contact with someone like Ferrari,” Lampre spokesman Andrea Appiani told VeloNews on Tuesday. “Our contracts forbid a rider to have contact with a subject who is not allowed by the federation. It is because of his meetings with Ferrari that he (Scarponi) is suspended.”

Read more here:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/11/news/michele-scarponi-suspended-by-lampre-isd-for-links-to-ferrari_264146

Where's GOG for this news:

“Our rules say that a rider cannot have contact with someone like Ferrari,” Lampre spokesman Andrea Appiani told VeloNews on Tuesday. “Our contracts forbid a rider to have contact with a subject who is not allowed by the federation. It is because of his meetings with Ferrari that he (Scarponi) is suspended.”

Read more here:

http://velonews.comp...-ferrari_264146

"Oy Vey" Scarpo.blink.png

.........but yeah I saw it, and without pay nogal.......! Guess he will have to shave and start looking for meaningful employment at Mcdonalds now. laugh.png

"Oy Vey" Scarpo.blink.png

.........but yeah I saw it, and without pay nogal.......! Guess he will have to shave and start looking for meaningful employment at Mcdonalds now. laugh.png

The sports chicky on safm this morning very clearly referred to scarponi and ferrari as "Michelle"...

• 2 weeks later...