Sit back and have a good........

Skye

Will rolling closure then only for the "sharp end" or front 5 or 10, or for the whole Elite group,

Because we also pass some Elites on our way back to the Bos, and we were in F. So , than even the F group will have rolling closure?

a lot to think about to have rolling closure implemented. I think.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These arguments about safety and loss of life are emotionally loaded... I don't think you can compare these transgressions in a race versus those that occur in a training ride. I believe that there are fundamental differences in the psyche of the rider that need to be considered since they have a pivotal influence on rational behaviour!

Pantani, I'm a little disappointed in your responses, you are usually a voice of reason and a few good laughs too!

What you are saying if you break it down is it's ok to cheat. That's right cheat, never mind the safety aspects! If you go on the wrong side of the road when the race rules stipulate that you must stay on the left side of the road and it's not full road closure you are cheating because you are leaving the course and taking a shorter route, a few meters off every corner on a decent soon adds up.  

In motor sport they call it gaining and advantage if you cut too many apexes . It is no different to cutting across an access road or whatever to shave some meters off in a sprint.

Because one day, in a serious race you could find yourself relegated after winning if a switched on team manager or managers decide to protest, could happen to anyone...

AL' date=' pantani and linnega - if you want the road closure then offer to pay for it. race entry fees only go so far. you pay each metro department whose jurisdiction you enter for permission to hold the event and rolling road closure will entail further charges.
[/quote']

Slowpoke, I haven't advocated road closures... It's simple, people's mindsets need to change. I believe that if it can be achieved at the top of the sport then it will easily filter through to the rest. Now, the question is how do you convince the purists?

Willehond' date=' sorry they dont caught you, but they caught plenty of drop offs.

Maar eks seker jy weet wat ek bedoel.[/quote']

Ek weet popeye, ma die subvets het baie flak gevang vir stadig ry hierdie seisoen.  Wou net seker maak almal weet ons het vinnig gery en weer die ouer vets op hulle plek gesitLOLWink

Pantani' date=' I'm a little disappointed in your responses, you are usually a voice of reason and a few good laughs too!

What you are saying if you break it down is it's ok to cheat. That's right cheat, never mind the safety aspects! If you go on the wrong side of the road when the race rules stipulate that you must stay on the left side of the road and it's not full road closure you are cheating because you are leaving the course and taking a shorter route, a few meters off every corner on a decent soon adds up.  

In motor sport they call it gaining and advantage if you cut too many apexes . It is no different to cutting across an access road or whatever to shave some meters off in a sprint.

Because one day, in a serious race you could find yourself relegated after winning if a switched on team manager or managers decide to protest, could happen to anyone...

[/quote']

All noted... and it happens all the time in Elite racing, so let's fix it... It's just that I stand here and I don't see anybody at the front acknowledging the fact that it happens? We can wax lyrical all day about it being wrong, but what good is that if we can't change the mindset of the perpetrators?

Greetings hubbers

I am making an urgent appeal for all those hub members who have pictures of riders, at this past weekends Die Burger Fietstoer, transgressing the white line rule to make contact with me at the Cycle Tour Offices on 0216856551. Popeye, Ronelle etc please, if I could ask you to step up to the plate and help in this regard.
DavidB2007-12-04 02:13:22

jaa. well Marius if you sitting at the back 99% of the time then it will be easier(and you will be moaning about your low HR average).. with Your form you should be making the action at the front most of the time..Wink

Pifft, I was not feeling all that strong that day, AV HR was 149bpm(79% Max), 4beats higher than my DC rideEmbarrassedLOL and I almost got dropped at the end, I wanted to close the gap to Velouria and 8 others that got away but only made it half way, then that mother of a hill came up and I was sitting with a HR of 187bpm and every one was flying pass me, man, I almost lost them, I think that's just about were you got dropped?CryOuch

Hey Marius, you have been rather quiet lately, what's going on??

(Maybe he's out secretly training...)

I miss teasing you Wink

Hey Marius' date=' you have been rather quiet lately, what's going on??

(Maybe he's out secretly training...)

I miss teasing you Wink

[/quote']

Yeah, and I missed being teased by youWink Nah, some f'nut keeps on downloading sh%t at work and my Cap was kaput 2weeks into the monthAngry

THis is not so easy. 95% of Hubbers and race organisers have a funride mentality, they don't understand RACING. I stopped doing the league racing cause I think it's wrong to DQ someont that rides 10cm over the white line on a straight road. But to ride in the right hand yellow line on a blind corner is stupid. One of the pics is of the front 10 elites in a PRO TOUR race (Burger), surely they must have cop cars , comms in front of them to pull cars off. But if you dropped out of a sub vets bunch you're out of the racing, then stay left.

The organisers is at fault here, why didnt they move the riders over if they are so concerned? It happened in their Tour de Winelands with David B team as well. They will say they cant police 100k's. If they knew racing they will know they dont have to.

You have problems around the right hand bends, and if the wind blows from the left.

THey could have traffic cones coming out of old Helsh towards the one lane on the left with marshalls policing. Which prize winners money will you now take away?

Rolling road closure for the racing people is sooo easy, you have 2 cop cars in front of the bunch asking people to move over.

David B DQ everyone but the top 3 in the break. But I'm sure it wont be good for your political career in cycling.

I am willing to pay double my the entry fee, if that is what it takes to get rolling road closure. I hate riding right of the white line, this is the way to fix it.

Some comments:

I race with the Elites in the saller races in Pta, and I have seen some of them use oncoming traffic to attack - wait till there is a big oncoming truck, attack on the right, see how close they can cut it befor swerving back, and only guys with no brains followed him. Breakaway established, no DQ's.

2 yeas ago at R4S, all the VA's that started were DQed because of 20 or so riders riding on the wrong side. Even VA riders that got dropped before then got DQed - this is not a solution!

Drafting is the fundamental on which road racing rests. It is an integral part of racing. All it takes is one rider to attack across the line for most of the whole bunch to follow. The comms rarely see the culprit, because they ride at the back.  

O my donner maar julle kan aangaan!!!! 

Pops....dink tog bietjie.....was jy al race commesair???  Vra van die ooms wat weet. 

Ek dink spesifiek aan die oom wat Panorama gedoen het....hy weet van...het ook al 'n paar Harties races gedoen......Professioneel.  Maak ad-hoc besluite.

so tjoppies. will rolling closures only be than for the Elite's ?

No.  They will be for all Racing licenses....that is why they took out the license in the first place....to race!!!

What about the ladies' date=' vets, sud-vets [/quote']

Answered.  They will have too.

I read somewhere that the A caught the sub-vets and vets' date=' (I think)

So, who did the Racing here ? "A" ... or the so called racing groups? [/quote']

If this is true, then the Capies Vets and Sub vets SERIOUSLY SUCK!!  Sorry guys.....If you want to race, race....but drinking tea and wasting officials' time is inconsiderate.

Pops....to answer your question.....the A bunch did the racing, for sure!  But they chose NOT to licence and therefore is not considered as a RACING group....so....what do they (and ANY other group for that matter)  need to do if they DON'T have rolling closure....EASY!!!!!!!!!!!  Sort of a no brainer!!!  STAY LEFT OF THE LINE OR GET DQ'd.

Or is it going to be rolling closure just for the "CREAM"?... Unfair towards the rest' date=' if you askedme.

but, its only my opinion. [/quote']

You call it CREAM.....I call it the guys and girls getting up at 4 in the morning to go train to RACE.  I call them the dedicated bunch that WANTS to race and does the extra mile by Licensing......bringing in some $$$ to the ONLY organisation cycling has, CSA......

Of coarse next year that will change...BUT......the guy taking out a cyclosport license is NOT concerned oubout racing otherwise he would have taken out a FULL license......

Sure....the A bunch rider wants to beat his time, win his bunch.....but not at all cost because it is in effect THE A BUNCH.....(No disrespect to the A bunch riders but you have to realise that A bunch riding is not what Racing is about)

Oh' date=' just one more thing... Will the Elites than paying more to get rolling closure? [/quote']

Why not?  I will.  Stick the goody bag up in Pantani's ass if you want to and give us rolling closure.  Big%20smile (Sorry Pantani....but you're the villan here....Wink)

Then again....I have paid for my license........Have you??  I race to get paid....DO YOU? 

Will rolling closure then only for the "sharp end" or front 5 or 10' date=' or for the whole Elite group, [/quote']

Commesair makes that decision.

If you know your stuff Popeye, you will know that if an Elite rider drops more than 5 minutes (I think) he is out of the race....swept up....unless it is a tour where there are different time gaps.....normally 10%.

So....should a rider drop, the SWEEPER needs to drop with him and pick him up if he cannot get back.

BEEN THERE........BEEN PICKED UP BEFORE..........

Like I say....the racing up in Gauteng if professional!!!

Because we also pass some Elites on our way back to the Bos' date=' and we were in F. So , than even the F group will have rolling closure. [/quote']

Nope.....the F group is "fun riders, competing for glory....win in F....best time....sosial...WHATEVER!!  No prise money.....no risks....etc...etc...etc...bleah.....you should get the picture by now?

The dropped Elites is DQ'd anyway........dropped behind the bunch more than x minutes....so they are just trying to get home.....

They will have to follow the rules of the road together with the F group......

a lot to think about to have rolling closure implemented. I think.

Hope this takes out some of the thinking....

Rolling closure is not there to ensure a SAVE event.....it is there to ensure save RACING.

As for the rest of us pleps......we have to follow the rules of the road.....like myself I have to make the call........Will my wife/dog/girl/plant/couch miss me if I am gone?  No?  Go right......make the move....

Its a good thing theres no photos of the Elite bunch @ west coast race. Someone guttered us into the yellow line on the wrong side of the road. Cars were pulling off onto the grass for us.

Also, at the first league race of the season, one of the marshalls at the start told us (and i quote) "dont cross the white line unless the road is clear and there's racing to be had"