Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Riding home the other afternoon, a white corsa bakkie pulled over into the cycle lane and put on their hazards. Just as I was about to curse, the driver increased his speed slightly and looked at me in his rear view mirror and smiled. I didn't need a second invitation........Needless to say a bit of impromptu motor pacing down the Beach road at 50km/h with a backpack on was really enjoyed!!

Give that man a Bell's! Wish there were more drivers like that (especially on those days were the headwind reached 40kph+)!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thx for the wishes, its only been 2 days and i'm already grumpy cause i cant ride.

Dat feel.. much sadness

Something I've learned from commuting yesterday:

When loading your bike onto the bike rack on your car for the millionth time to take to work to commute back, don't be lazy and skip putting the number plate on the back...

It saves you R500... :wacko:

Fortunately for me non of those apply, not even when i'm in a competitive mood would i be so arrogant and disrespectful to think that i have right of way over someone else that is trying to enjoy their ride. I just happen to let every pedestrian i pass know what my intentions are while riding and then i follow it up with a friendly, "Thank you, have a nice day". I dont see the fault in this and if its wrong then so be it. i believe that lack of communication leads to more problems (not only in cycling) than is necessary.

Don't do that in Pretoria, people think they have a right to assault you...

Have a feeling today is going to be a wet ride home...

Oh well, more fun in the mud an car spray...

Riding in thedrink can be a lot of fun, but being struck with a flu afterwards is not fun at all.

Oh and lightning scares the poo out of me...

Riding in thedrink can be a lot of fun, but being struck with a flu afterwards is not fun at all.

Oh and lightning scares the poo out of me...

Yeah, rain = cool, lightning and hail = not cool :unsure:

I ride my road bike to workm and back everyday and then race it on weekends! Does it count if I only live 1.4 km away from work? Takes me 20 mins in a car, about 3 on my cycle! :)

I ride my road bike to workm and back everyday and then race it on weekends! Does it count if I only live 1.4 km away from work? Takes me 20 mins in a car, about 3 on my cycle! :)

At least try and ride around the block or something to add a Km...

Wish I lived closer to work. 20km with over 300m climbing is hard work! Traded some training rides for commuting, and getting huge benefits for doing so.

When a car comes past you, chances are that they are going to turn in front of you. Chances are that they will go right up to curb and cut the corner leaving no space. Chances are also that they will in the process nock you off your bike :cursing:No harm done, but one hell of a fright.

Keep safe out there and always assume you are invisible!!!

Edited by Bloumens

Wish I lived closer to work. 20km with over 300m climbing is hard work! Traded some training rides for commuting, and getting huge benefits for doing so.

Mine is about 23km with similar climbing...

20km with over 300m climbing is hard work!

Mine is about 23km with similar climbing...

MY trip is only 10km with 300m climbing. Nice work out.