Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Anyone riding in tomorrow? :whistling:

Gonna be doing the UN-rain dance haha!

That's the plan :thumbup: Always a different experience riding in the pouring rain, whether it's on the road or up the mountain. My only problem is riding into a 50km/h gusting wind ... it's going to be a tough ride tomorrow morning .... bring it on :w00t:

post-3399-0-62906300-1409045611_thumb.jpg

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the plan :thumbup: Always a different experience riding in the pouring rain, whether it's on the road or up the mountain. My only problem is riding into a 50km/h gusting wind ... it's going to be a tough ride tomorrow morning .... bring it on :w00t:

Wooohhhoooo ... free and easy ride in for me to town tomorrow morning :)

do you guys listen to tunes while you ride?

Some days. This morning my music choice irritated (and still irritates me)

I have one ear clear all the time. Have the earphones on my iPad or iPhone most of the time. If I receive a call I can catch it.

And here I am worried about the cold. You guys and girls in CT sure have some guts to go out in that wind.

As of the 18th December last year it is illegal to wear headphone while riding. That being said i use to when i had a road bike but since i sold it and got a MTB i have never had the urge to.

Do you have more info on this, my google skills don't seem to work at the moment

Do you have more info on this, my google skills don't seem to work at the moment

My Google skills battling too, so i contacted Liz at Pedal power and she is going to email me the legislation on this as well as the link and then i shall post it here for you.

Duties of cyclists

3. (1) A cyclist riding on a public road must—

(a) if the road has a pedal cycle lane, ride only in the pedal cycle lane and may not ride on any other portion of a public road except when

crossing the road; or

(b) if there is no pedal cycle lane, ride—

(i) to the left of the left edge of the roadway; or

(ii) on the roadway, keeping as close as practicable to the left edge of the roadway.

(2) When riding on a public road, a cyclist must—

(a) give conspicuous driving signals as contemplated in regulation 300 and Part II of Chapter X of the National Regulations; and

(b) stop in the circumstances contemplated in regulation 307 of the National Regulations.

(3) A person may not ride a pedal cycle on a public road—

(a) on the right-hand side of a motor vehicle proceeding in the same direction, except when passing that motor vehicle or turning right at

an intersection;

(b) abreast of another cyclist proceeding in the same direction, except when passing that cyclist;

© while wearing a headset, headphones or any listening device other than a hearing aid; or

(d) while carrying another person on the pedal cycle, unless that pedal cycle is specifically equipped to carry more than one person.

(4) A cyclist must exercise due care while—

(a) passing a motor vehicle or turning right in the circumstances described in subregulation (3)(a); or

(b) passing another cyclist in the circumstances described in subregulation (3)(b).

Duties of cyclists

3. (1) A cyclist riding on a public road must—

(a) if the road has a pedal cycle lane, ride only in the pedal cycle lane and may not ride on any other portion of a public road except when

crossing the road; or

(b) if there is no pedal cycle lane, ride—

(i) to the left of the left edge of the roadway; or

(ii) on the roadway, keeping as close as practicable to the left edge of the roadway.

(2) When riding on a public road, a cyclist must—

(a) give conspicuous driving signals as contemplated in regulation 300 and Part II of Chapter X of the National Regulations; and

(b) stop in the circumstances contemplated in regulation 307 of the National Regulations.

(3) A person may not ride a pedal cycle on a public road—

(a) on the right-hand side of a motor vehicle proceeding in the same direction, except when passing that motor vehicle or turning right at

an intersection;

(b) abreast of another cyclist proceeding in the same direction, except when passing that cyclist;

© while wearing a headset, headphones or any listening device other than a hearing aid; or

(d) while carrying another person on the pedal cycle, unless that pedal cycle is specifically equipped to carry more than one person.

(4) A cyclist must exercise due care while—

(a) passing a motor vehicle or turning right in the circumstances described in subregulation (3)(a); or

(b) passing another cyclist in the circumstances described in subregulation (3)(b).

Thanks

Did not know this. So no music for me then...

Anyone know how I can fit a 10" sub and two 6x9's on my bike?

Thanks

Did not know this. So no music for me then...

Anyone know how I can fit a 10" sub and two 6x9's on my bike?

There is a dude I see almost everyday with his radio and speakers mounted on his bike, he may be able to help you ;)

There is a dude I see almost everyday with his radio and speakers mounted on his bike, he may be able to help you ;)

Crackberry have a device called a VM-605 (Visor Mount Spearphone) which is actually a bluetooth connector to make the BB tune into your car's radio player, but it has its own speaker which is more than adequate to mount to the handlebars and play tunes, so that you can hear music AND the ambient traffic around you. Works with any device that has bluetooth functionality. I use it for all my commutes!

Oh and the battery life is surprisingly long for a BB device. I get 5 days of riding in on one charge!

Edited by Tubehunter

Crackberry have a device called a VM-605 (Visor Mount Spearphone) which is actually a bluetooth connector to make the BB tune into your car's radio player, but it has its own speaker which is more than adequate to mount to the handlebars and play tunes, so that you can hear music AND the ambient traffic around you. Works with any device that has bluetooth functionality. I use it for all my commutes!

Oh and the battery life is surprisingly long for a BB device. I get 5 days of riding in on one charge!

Is it not more dangerous being seen with a Blackberry vs driving in peak hour traffic among huge 18 wheeler trucks with no yellow shoulder and a wild wind blowing you into traffic.

I bought some Slipstreamz a while back .... http://www.slipstreamz.com/content.asp?subID=8

I used them for a while, but found I needed to crank the volume to hear anything and ended up stuffing my headphones up. I still have them on my helmet but don't listen to choonz while riding anymore. I use them now as a wind buffer

The August Winds and Winter temps are not ready to leave us yet

Edited by ScottC-M

As of the 18th December last year it is illegal to wear headphone while riding. That being said i use to when i had a road bike but since i sold it and got a MTB i have never had the urge to.

Road traffic act? Nevermind, did not finish reading the thread when posting this.

Not gonna worry about this one too much. I will be very surprised if I will ever be fined for this. Pretty sure most traffic cops do not even know of this clause. As was said, on ear is open and even if I have both earphones in my ear I can still hear the traffic. I think if I ever get fined for this I will actually challange this in court. If it is such a risk then deaf people should not be allowed to use our roads and I do not quite see the logic in that.

Edited by Bateleur1

I will never wear earphones with ears full of music. Having 100% hearing while negotiating traffic is too important for me. I would feel physically handicapped if I didn't have my full ability to hear what's coming up behind me.

My ears are my 'eyes in the back of my head'. They are my rearview mirror. They're way too important.