Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is how we commuted in this morning ..... see if you can spot me :)

Ja Ja rub it in , dont you have a well paying vacancy down there for me?

Ja Ja rub it in , dont you have a well paying vacancy down there for me?

Nah, all the well paying jobs are in JHB ....... 

That is one sweet bicycle lane!

If that were somewhere in Joburg, there would probably be a string of taxi's on it.

Hairy please add me to the whatsapp commute group - ( Zero 84 469 3843 )

sent to administrator to add you ... now take your cell no. off before those dodgy JHB commuters start making "strange" phone calls to you late at night :)

sent to administrator to add you ... now take your cell no. off before those dodgy JHB commuters start making "strange" phone calls to you late at night :)

Hey that's not nice ;)

Hairy please add me to the whatsapp commute group - ( Zero 84 469 3843 )

ch4os, please PM your name as Admin wants to use this in your whatsapp profile/contact

I Started Cycling in the Winter time and only since the warmth has returned to PTA have i since learned how polite fellow commuters are.

There is alwayse a longer route to work with a better view.

PTA is acctually shrienking as i can go furthur.

When you pass all the traffic jams on the downhill you better commit to the uphill orelse you just gonna get passed by all the cars.

Plan your route in advance to avoid the big intersections where orange means nothing to motorists and over eager jammers rush infront of you.

Enjoy the sights and sound even the city can seem natural if you leave the house early enough.

Closest I get to a cycle lane is the "voet padjie" next to some of the roads...

Will be so nice to commute with other cyclists (think I'm way to early for most, still using my light for the morning commute)

LOL :w00t:   Hairy you do realise that while Ch4os deleted his cell no in his post, you are now showing it to all the dodgy JHB commuters? :clap:  :w00t:  :oops:

LOL :w00t:   Hairy you do realise that while Ch4os deleted his cell no in his post, you are now showing it to all the dodgy JHB commuters? :clap:  :w00t:  :oops:

Haha, guess ill just have to put up with them after all hehe

Take some device with if you run tubeless to get the valve out of the rim.

Was stuck next to the road this morning in an attempt to remove the valve out of the tyre.  Get my hands on a piece of rubber and removed the valve that way.

Thumb is still bleeding a bit...

Take some device with if you run tubeless to get the valve out of the rim.

Was stuck next to the road this morning in an attempt to remove the valve out of the tyre.  Get my hands on a piece of rubber and removed the valve that way.

Thumb is still bleeding a bit...

Yip. My commute bag includes a pair of mini needle nose pliers. Great little tool.

This is why I don't commute to work on my bicycle anymore, it's just too dangerous. Also, not one cop to be seen anywhere.

https://vimeo.com/108106823

Taxi overtaking cars and almost takes out a cyclist and pedestrians on Garden Road.
Taxis and an orange cab driver creating dust, Kyalami, Main Road.
And more then there was more dust, Lonehill, Main Road.
Vehicles speeding past driving in the yellow line and taxi using turn right only lane to go straight on Main Road crossing over N1 towards Bryanston.
Turning right into Sloan just sewage everywhere AGAIN, FFS.

This is why I do commute by bicycle - I avoid all of this traffic mess and take to the dirt, far from taxis and other idiots.

This is why I do commute by bicycle - I avoid all of this traffic mess and take to the dirt, far from taxis and other idiots.

I though so to traveling between Midrand and Sandton. The problem is the strings of taxis coming up from behind you, hooting and pushing past you while you are riding your mtb on the dirt off the road. Cannot avoid riding on the road between some sections on my commute to work and back, where everyone drives in the yellow lane, no place "off the road" to cycle on some of these sections to avoid this. I also don't want to ride some of the trails through some wooded sections alone with a laptop on my back and in case I get bike jacked, it's a bit to far from the road and I don't feel comfortable doing this, some spots will be easy to set up a surprise trap to bike jack a person alone on their bicycle, especially if you travel the route regularly (changing routes every day is not an option, to big of a detour and less safe even), I'm not going to take any chances.