Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

You should go down on your hands and knees every time you ride and french kiss those cycle lanes.

I have to admit, moved to CT from Pretoria and started commuting about a week ago and never had an urge to do it when I was up there.

Cycling lanes work very well and I haven't come across an idiot that goes off the tar onto the gravel next to the road...yet. In my view drivers here are a little more lenient toward cyclists, and being a mtb'er it is good to have the skills to hop pavements, cut through parks etc.

Big up to the guys in Gauteng commuting... you are running a gauntlet each and every single day. 

Edited by Musketeer

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit, moved to CT from Pretoria and started commuting about a week ago and never had an urge to do it when I was up there.

Cycling lanes work very well and I haven't come across and idiot that goes off the tar onto the gravel next to the road...yet. In my view drivers here are a little more lenient toward cyclists, and being a mtb'er it is good to have the skills to hop pavements, cut through parks etc.

Big up to the guys in Gauteng commuting... you are running a gauntlet each and every single day. 

This is exactly why i want to move to CPT. IF only i could find a well paying job down there.

You should go down on your hands and knees every time you ride and french kiss those cycle lanes.

Have you been watching / following me  :eek:

Cycling lanes work very well and I haven't come across and idiot that goes off the tar onto the gravel next to the road...yet. In my view drivers here are a little more lenient toward cyclists, and being a mtb'er it is good to have the skills to hop pavements, cut through parks etc.

Whereabouts you commuting Musketeer?

One storm alert can screw up traffic. Had this yesterday. Got a little bit of rain on my commute home, but traffic sucked big time last night. And people just seem to loose all ability to think.

They go ape and drive like a bunch of Mozzies. Even cycled into a taxi last night that decided to drop its cargo in a yellow like. The ape then expected me to try to get into traffic to pass him. If Only I had pepper spray!

Got the shock of the year. I knew I picked up weight in the time my bike was broken, but got a surprise. From 84,6 to 87,1 kg.

Now i know why I struggle up the hills. I am fat! I hope that the commute will help nipping my ass back into a shape. Hate feeling like this!

It's awesome living in a small town.

I had to take my wife to the local hospital at 6am for a small operation.

I still had time to drive home, have breakfast, walk and feed the dogs and still ride my bike to work by 7h30.

@bicyclesafetysa: If not taxis to prevent us riding jeep track while commuting they put up advertising boards across the entire path

Its not legal. Phone the traffic department who normally like removing them.  Nice income for the owner to pay to get his trailer back.

You familiar with the term .. "Snowball's chance in hell"?

ya, know that saying. But the number of idiots behind the wheels... Not going to work. They can't even fix a powerline... How do they want this to work?

Its not legal. Phone the traffic department who normally like removing them.  Nice income for the owner to pay to get his trailer back.

I tried to bunny hop over it the other day and my rear wheel juuuuust clipped it and it fell over onto it's side  :whistling:

For those who live in Jhb, you will know the severity of last nights storm. So last night was the first commute i had in a storm of this magnitude on my road bike, don't get me wrong, I'm not always a fair weather cyclists, in fact i am glad we got rain we need it desperately, but man oh man i hope i don't have to do that any time soon again.

My problem as always comes drivers. I have said this plenty times before, people cant drive in bad weather!! i was almost taken out 8 times last night. Cant wait to get my wheel back from the LBS today, at least when it rains and i'm on my MTB i get home from work covered in mud and a huge smile on my dial. I am not made for being do close in the rain to useless driver that think they can do what ever they want.

Hope all of you fellow commuters got home safely

For those who live in Jhb, you will know the severity of last nights storm. So last night was the first commute i had in a storm of this magnitude on my road bike, don't get me wrong, I'm not always a fair weather cyclists, in fact i am glad we got rain we need it desperately, but man oh man i hope i don't have to do that any time soon again.

My problem as always comes drivers. I have said this plenty times before, people cant drive in bad weather!! i was almost taken out 8 times last night. Cant wait to get my wheel back from the LBS today, at least when it rains and i'm on my MTB i get home from work covered in mud and a huge smile on my dial. I am not made for being do close in the rain to useless driver that think they can do what ever they want.

Hope all of you fellow commuters got home safely

I luckily made it in time before the rain, but had hectic winds. Was pushed of the road at one stage because it was blowing so hard and unpredictable. Drove past an open veld and had dust in my eyes and mouth hahaha. 

When i had the wind at my back it was smooth sailing at top speed :D 

Made it home before the storm in PTA. Stood outside to do a lightning shoot. One guy from the CSIR almost took me out. He does not understand why a cyclist would put out his right hand when turning right. If he knocked me.... It would have been done. One thing getting to me is the lack of working indicator lights. Going to start knocking lights out so that the driver will have to get it fixed...

This morning on my commute, I saw a motor cyclist lose it with a car at a 4 way stop. He then proceeded to try and kick it's light out, but only managed to push himself and his bike over. I had to laugh.