Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

I normally just say +1, but Amen is so much more appropriate to the Tombeej post :clap:

+1 ;)

Edited by ScottC-M

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheeshh ... commuted for the first time in months this moning, and almost get taken out by a ballie skipping a stop street 500m from my house. He proceeds to get out of his car and tries to moer me. I dunno what's wrong with me, I just rode off, I've been looking for a scrap for weeks, one presents itself and I'd rather just ride ...

Man, I missed my bike!

Good man!

Hanging onto a Subaru.....this guy's got balls the size of melons. It's a wonder he can sit on a saddle at all! :ph34r:

Its those checkered flag shocks, they give him power :P

So how many commuting in Cape Town this week, I little windy hey.

yesterday I caught a tail wind that pushed me for 3 km :thumbup:

Will start again tomorrow, still recovering from Origin of Trails :whistling:

I got an Ass Saver yesterday... At a shop in PTA. Wanted to make one, but could not find the time to go to CNA to buy the things that I need.

What is this?

Will this be happening next year again?

how can i get involved?

Added mine... Did not know how to add my stats, but see only a few more to go....

Lesson learnt:

Commute every day to work is easy if you are prepared with:

1) Work Clothes

2) Wash area

3) Lockable safe bike area

4) essential spares on the bike

Biggest problem was shoes, until I just left a pair at work to change into. Clothes can fit into backPack when folded correctly.

Guest Omega Man

Lesson learnt:

1) Work Clothes

2) Wash area

Biggest problem was shoes, until I just left a pair at work to change into. Clothes can fit into backPack when folded correctly.

I've got a pack that I use specifically for commuting. I fit my laptop and work clothes into it.

I'm very mindful of my effect on others in my office when it comes to commuting. We share a small bathroom between 7 people. When I commute I try to make sure I get to the office before all of my colleagues. Grab a quick shower and put on my work clothes. I make sure that I leave the bathroom floor 100% dry and put my bike in a spot in the office that gets in no-one's way.

Lesson learnt:

1) Work Clothes

2) Wash area

After about a month or two, I also left a pair at work, my bag was getting too big and wanted to try lighten the load..

I roll my shirt and pants up, it fits nicely into my bag and doesn't get creased to badly, at least that works for me. 

Get Gatorskins for your road bike (If you dont have them already) 

I was getting so many punctures at one stage with my old crappy R100 tires that i thought i was going to go insane from the patching of tubes every night, and road tubes seem to be a lot more finicky to get right because of the pressure, needless to say, i forked out for the gators and havent had a puncture or a pinch flat since! 

So how many commuting in Cape Town this week, I little windy hey.

yesterday I caught a tail wind that pushed me for 3 km :thumbup:

Had nice tail wind into work yesterday morning, got my best time in. But the ride home straight into a 50km/h wind was a slog of note ... but I still made a good time regardless of the wind. Legs seem to be getting stronger  :thumbup:

Oh how I miss my bike!I have been sick for the last three weeks and havent been on the bike for this time.Its really frustrating sitting in the bakkie in traffic where I usualy just scoot by all those cars on the bike.[emoji33]

First commute back from work today. It's only 9kms, but 9kms of freedom. First commute in tomorrow. Left my car at work with a pair of clothes.

Why have I waited so long to do this?

Welcome and enjoy but most of all be safe out there. Think for every driver as most of them cant do it for themselves.

Guest Omega Man

First commute back from work today. It's only 9kms, but 9kms of freedom. First commute in tomorrow. Left my car at work with a pair of clothes.

Why have I waited so long to do this?

It's amazing hey? I feel like I'm part of a special club that no one knows about. Be careful. Motorists are stupid.