Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Joined to the group on Endomondo. Jeez, there are some heavy distance commuters on there! 

Strangely, my max speed is super way out, but that's fine, my distance is on par with my Strava one.

Is it possible to import more than one activity on Endomondo? Would my my life so much easier.

Rain predicted for tomorrow with some strong wind. Taking a lift to work. Not yet so hardcore to ride in the rain. But I am fine with the wind.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Andrew,

We have had a head start to the commuting for the year. :)

Rain wasn't so bad this morning. Only got rain as I left Durbanville.

Haha, I can see so. Stefano is on top of the leaderboard with a decent amount of distance behind his name.

I was in two minds this morning on commuting. I still decided to take the lift. With my front light being in for repairs, I did not want to take the risk.

Had a very close call with a car yesterday. My fault for not riding with a front light and I worked a bit late, so my daylight was very limited.

Ordered a Deuce light from Extreme Lights that I will use with my Ryder 1000 lumen. I will keep the Deuce on flash while my Ryder will be on showing me where I ride.

Will also keep the Deuce for in case my Ryder gets flat/forgot to charge it, then I have a backup when riding home.

Edited by Andrew_Smith

Haha, I can see so. Stefano is on top of the leaderboard with a decent amount of distance behind his name.

I was in two minds this morning on commuting. I still decided to take the lift. With my front light being in for repairs, I did not want to take the risk.

Had a very close call with a car yesterday. My fault for not riding with a front light and I worked a bit late, so my daylight was very limited.

Ordered a Deuce light from Extreme Lights that I will use with my Ryder 1000 lumen. I will keep the Deuce on flash while my Ryder will be on showing me where I ride.

Will also keep the Deuce for in case my Ryder gets flat/forgot to charge it, then I have a backup when riding home.

yes ... but he is also going overseas soon on holiday ... so then we can smash that lead he is running with :P

Hi All.

Advice please. I may be changing job positions within my company and as a result should be able to cycle to work on some days as new location is alot 'safer' than current location. I currently have a mtb cannondale si scalpel 6, but would like advice/ suggestions and what to do and not to do as well as preferred bike. Should I look into getting a road bike/ gravel bike our commute with the mtb.

The planned route will be mostly back roads with a section of cycling within the yellow lines (there is an offroad/grassy/gravel type section, which may be safer depending on traffic) and pavement cycling (few pedestrians)for the last stretch. It's about a 7-9km ride at a guess.

Is the route flat or do you have hills... Did the gravel section you refer to carry any thorns?

The route has 2 climbs, not big ones but still enough to get the heart pumping and the sweat flowing; and the one stretch, has a slight incline in the road. The gravel section, I'm not too sure about thorns. I have cycled the back roads many a time but not the last stretch (yellow line (gravel/grassy patch) and pavement part). This stretch is along a main busy road, but not as busy as a cape town road. I would be cycling from George CBD to the George Mall.

I would simply give it a go on the Scalpel! 

Definitely......oh, wait, that is dumb advice. Yes, buy a new bike! You can never have enough bikes......which is what I tell my wife. She then says how ridiculous that is, because I can only ride on at a time! Then I say, but what about the gazillion pairs of shoes in your wardrobe.......you can only wear one pair at a time........and after a while peace (really a cease-fire) returns to our little home! ;)  

No, seriously, just try it with what you have and see how it works. You'll get a better idea of what is needed. For shorter commutes and a bit of flexibility, a mtb is great. For longer commutes, a skinny bike will just get you there quicker and with less effort, but you won't be able to hop curbs and take shortcuts so easily.

Hi Natasha, I would start with mountain bike and then you will soon see what works best for you.  There are so many options and all goes down to personal choice.  You will most propably change the way you commute in anyway as soon as you get into the swing of things so you might be changing your route and that would make a impact on what bike you would like to use.  Or in my case I have a roadbike route and a mountain bike route.  My MTB is setup for rainy weather with mud guards and disk brakes.  My roadbike is my good weather bike.  But I might also pull out the MTB on the good weather days and take route on dirt road to work.

I envy you as to where you will be cycling.  My favourate area in SA is the Garden route so you will most propably be making a detour or two in the time to come.

I would also suggest you start reading this thread from the start as there are loads of good advice in it.

I use a hardtail, with tubeless as my commute bike.

Do you have shower facilities at work ?  THIS is probably the biggest thing with commuting by bike ....

To work - I cycle the one hill slowly, and the second I walk.  Purely to get to work without sweating ...  In the afternoon I have more fun :)

I find that a backpack makes me sweat even before I start cycling ... thus I made a carried box for my daily items.  Function over form ...

post-110956-0-68987000-1528092771_thumb.jpg

yes ... but he is also going overseas soon on holiday ... so then we can smash that lead he is running with :P

That is good news.  This week will be the first full week of work in a long time.  Next week I have another 3 days leave and then I will be focused on this challange again.

Thanks guys

I will start with the mtb, and will start reading this thread from page 1.

No showers at work, but figured if I leave early enough I can take my time and then push when it's home time and maybe even do a quick detour via the dam in summer.

I like your little box there ChrisF????

Edited by NatashaHorne

Thanks guys

I will start with the mtb, and will start reading this thread from page 1.

No showers at work, but figured if I leave early enough I can take my time and then push when it's home time and maybe even do a quick detour via the dam in summer.

I like your little box there ChrisF????

This works like a charm ... trust me.  On my 70min + commute I sweat like a race horse and "wash" myself with this.

post-71-0-26217000-1528095716.jpg

@ Natasha:

Safety is the primary factor ito gear and route planning.

Depending on your options for rainy days, rather spend on a bike lock, lights/reflectors, proper backpack with splash cover first.

Quality rain jacket next.

Any bike will work. A gravel bike would be the optimum for me, but conditions differ. I currently alternate between a road bike and mtb for my commute, prefer the mtb for allowing more options to stay further away from traffic. I do feel sorry for the tyres on the mtb, though - wear rate is higher on paved surfaces, hence I see a gravel bike in my future :)

@ Natasha:

Safety is the primary factor ito gear and route planning.

Depending on your options for rainy days, rather spend on a bike lock, lights/reflectors, proper backpack with splash cover first.

Quality rain jacket next.

Any bike will work. A gravel bike would be the optimum for me, but conditions differ. I currently alternate between a road bike and mtb for my commute, prefer the mtb for allowing more options to stay further away from traffic. I do feel sorry for the tyres on the mtb, though - wear rate is higher on paved surfaces, hence I see a gravel bike in my future :)

Also see one in my future.