Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. That's where I got my driver's license. About 30'000 ZAR, but it went far. From the driver's point of view it also makes a lot of sense. You don't want your door to hang loose and replace that. But I don't understand that people don't just even check their mirror. Oblivion.

What must be said that there are also twats behind the wheel in The Netherlands... 

There are twats behind the wheel but most are on scooters zipping in and out recklessly between cyclists. I was also spat on by a scooter D@#s when he couldn't race past me and had to slam on the brakes. 

• 2 weeks later...

There are twats behind the wheel but most are on scooters zipping in and out recklessly between cyclists. I was also spat on by a scooter D@#s when he couldn't race past me and had to slam on the brakes. 

Classic. 

Something you also might have noticed, that there is generally not too much respect for road racers. Riding 40km/h, ignoring traffic rules and pretending to be doing an étappe of the Tour de France is not encouraged. Basically, don't be like riders in Cape Town, using MyCiti lane instead of cycle path. 

Classic. 

Something you also might have noticed, that there is generally not too much respect for road racers. Riding 40km/h, ignoring traffic rules and pretending to be doing an étappe of the Tour de France is not encouraged. Basically, don't be like riders in Cape Town, using MyCiti lane instead of cycle path. 

we used the MyCity Bus Lane in P/Island this morning because the busses are not running due to strike action.

are there riders who ride in the bus lane on a regular basis?

I have to agree. I've sat in an open plan office wondering how to hide my Defeet Eyeball socks on my ankles.

The look very cool on the bike, but peeping out from between a pair of black trousers and shiny shoes they are not.

They looked something like this. Defeet don't make the Eyeball ones anymore. Good news for commuters.

http://www.defeet.com/product.php?id=559

link not found Johan, would you please update. I'm asking this in the office while wearing light grey socks with bananas on them

i'd say shocking... but i've experienced the same with delivery bikes both on the bike and in the car (coincidentally not on the motorbike (yet?)).

Just out of curiosity, were these personal use scooters like jonways or delivery bikes?

Maybe this video might prove useful next time you encounter the scooter warrior

/watch?v=moURZhtDaJk

Edited by Dirkitect

link not found Johan, would you please update. I'm asking this in the office while wearing light grey socks with bananas on them

He's gone off The Grid. I imagine him building mystical bikes of unbearable lightness somewhere in a secret forest hideaway  ;)

Good luck getting a response from JB.

He's gone off The Grid. I imagine him building mystical bikes of unbearable lightness somewhere in a secret forest hideaway  ;)

eh, was worth a shot, thanks though

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i'd say shocking... but i've experienced the same with delivery bikes both on the bike and in the car (coincidentally not on the motorbike (yet?)).

Just out of curiosity, were these personal use scooters like jonways or delivery bikes?

Maybe this video might prove useful next time you encounter the scooter warrior

/watch?v=moURZhtDaJk

Could you resend the link, please! 

or.... just put youtube.com in front of the URL that's there?

you stole my +1 post count by doing it first. You earned it.

On an entirely different note: does anyone commute from the South between Germiston to Kliprivier Nature Reserve area and North towards Randburg/Rosebank? So from the South past the M2 and up North towards the centre of the highway ring?

Edited by Dirkitect

On an entirely different note: does anyone commute from the South between Germiston to Kliprivier Nature Reserve area and North towards Randburg/Rosebank? So from the South past the M2 and up North towards the centre of the highway ring?

I was looking at that once, but couldn't come up with a route that I was comfortable with. Would love to see your route!

Winter is definitely near...

Saw some of my friends commuting to work on Strava.

Almost single digits

The Temp or the number of mates?

Edited by Imploder