Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

if my route was safer i would do it in the rain, but wont risk it. Last weeks rain just messed with my "upgrades budget", :cursing: :whistling:

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That woman in Claremont is a school teacher. Has been riding up Newlands Avenue for over 1o years. See her often.

See her in the rain as well. Often loads of books in the bags.

She inspires me to keep cycling.

Do you guys commute in the rain as well? I've been wanting to start again, but the weather just hasn't been playing along. I have the wet weather gear, but just not sure on the safety/visibility aspect?

It seems to me that it only rains from the Paardeneiland harbour entrance to the city ,because I regularly get caught in that section.

So its been a tough start. Got a flat on the way home yesterday, but it was on the front so not to stressed. Woke up this morning to it pissing with rain, thought about catching the train but powered through and you know what, I LOVED IT! I don't think I would cycle everyday day if it was raining but every now and then I can handle.

Ok so after years of commuting, 13 to be exact, I realized you can never be prepared, what I'm saying is pack all your #$% ready the night before, in my case preferably into your backpack!!. When I got to work now I noticed I forgot the most vital item, won't say what so it doesn't leave that image in your head for the rest of the day...oh shucks you just figured it out :rolleyes:

Ok so after years of commuting, 13 to be exact, I realized you can never be prepared, what I'm saying is pack all your #$% ready the night before, in my case preferably into your backpack!!. When I got to work now I noticed I forgot the most vital item, won't say what so it doesn't leave that image in your head for the rest of the day...oh shucks you just figured it out :rolleyes:

Free Willy today?

:ph34r: :thumbup: & black Falke cycling socks with grey trousers, *hiding from style man*

At least the Falke's are black and not highlighter yellow.

Also had to go commando a couple of times before milky .... just a part of the commuter thing ... sorry for you though that CT is really really cold today!

Also had to go commando a couple of times before milky .... just a part of the commuter thing ... sorry for you though that CT is really really cold today!

not to worry I'm warm & snugly in the office just won't be leaving the office during the day. I thought i of keeping the cycling longs under my trousers but then i would die of the heat & make my ass look like a Jamaican, doing the 100m sprint. Edited by milky4130

I don't commute, but there's lots of commuters (and recreational cyclists) around Midrand, and the most awesome thing I've seen is cyclist stopping to help each other. I've seen a commuter on his too small beaten up bike help a dude out in his lycras - others - even going in the opposite direction stop to help each other with punctures etc. very cool

i think the lesson is that ppl will help if you ask them, and it is about the community - looking out for each other.

I don't commute, but there's lots of commuters (and recreational cyclists) around Midrand, and the most awesome thing I've seen is cyclist stopping to help each other. I've seen a commuter on his too small beaten up bike help a dude out in his lycras - others - even going in the opposite direction stop to help each other with punctures etc. very cool

i think the lesson is that ppl will help if you ask them, and it is about the community - looking out for each other.

& that's exactly why I greet the cyclist who want to be greeted cause you never know if you might need them tomorrow. They might just remember you as the plonker who doesn't greet back & leave you helpless when most needed.

We ALWAYS stop and offer help ... even to motorists on the side of the road.

I have an extra pair of socks and underwear at the office ... just in case.

I have an extra pair of socks and underwear at the office ... just in case.

Brilliant idea!! I keep spare toiletry bag in locker why not extra under wear?