Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

I turn the oven on and let heat up until it’s nice & warm, but far away from reaching a point where it will melt the plastic bits, and then turn the dial off.

With shoes packed with newspaper and the inserts removed I put them on a wooden board (I use an old bread board) and place into the oven. I use the wooden board so that the soles are protected from hot metal shelves.

I leave the oven door very slightly ajar (with a wooden wedge) to allow for max evaporation.

After a while, I come back to take the shoes out and check progress (maybe it’s time to remove the wet newspaper now), heat the oven up a bit again, turn the dial off and insert the shoes on wooden board once more.

Repeat process a couple of times until shoes are bone dry.

I’m also going to try that nappie idea though…

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I turn the oven on and let heat up until it’s nice & warm, but far away from reaching a point where it will melt the plastic bits, and then turn the dial off.

With shoes packed with newspaper and the inserts removed I put them on a wooden board (I use an old bread board) and place into the oven. I use the wooden board so that the soles are protected from hot metal shelves.

I leave the oven door very slightly ajar (with a wooden wedge) to allow for max evaporation.

After a while, I come back to take the shoes out and check progress (maybe it’s time to remove the wet newspaper now), heat the oven up a bit again, turn the dial off and insert the shoes on wooden board once more.

Repeat process a couple of times until shoes are bone dry.

I’m also going to try that nappie idea though…

Leaving your wet shoes, insoles removed and fasteners loose, tongue pulled out, on top of an oil radiator type heater will also dry them in an hour or 2. (Old Cape wet winter trick) I only use this one if the heater is being used anyway, otherwise I use the newspaper one described above.

Leaving your wet shoes, insoles removed and fasteners loose, tongue pulled out, on top of an oil radiator type heater will also dry them in an hour or 2. (Old Cape wet winter trick) I only use this one if the heater is being used anyway, otherwise I use the newspaper one described above.

The reason I use the oven method is that I live in a place where the air is heavy and very humid in summer. I recently moved from the beachfront on the north coast to Westville, which is a little less humid, but I still have problems with things not drying for ages unless they get sun/heat and ventilation/wind. If I used just the newspaper method here in Natal my shoes would take days to dry and then the ‘wet takkie’ smell starts to become an issue as well.

Believe me you wouldn't have wanted to see the pic

Thanks for being considerate to your fellow hubbers ;)

On the subject of rain and wet shoes, reminds me of another thing I've learnt about commuting, and that is the technique for drying my shoes (safely) in the oven :)

Kitty litter also dries shoes out........

Kitty litter also dries shoes out........

Don't use them once the kitty was there, new ones from the bag......

The reason I use the oven method is that I live in a place where the air is heavy and very humid in summer. I recently moved from the beachfront on the north coast to Westville, which is a little less humid, but I still have problems with things not drying for ages unless they get sun/heat and ventilation/wind. If I used just the newspaper method here in Natal my shoes would take days to dry and then the ‘wet takkie’ smell starts to become an issue as well.

I use a fan-heater for the same reasons, usually when it's rainy weather like a few weeks back the air is too humid to allow drying in any reasonable time.(not sure but the fan may be less power hungry than the oven, though I'll keep that option in mind)

Edited by 2wheelsgood

Completely understandable - Us Capies are just so dof, we think it only rains in winter! :blush: Or if the Epic / W2W is on. :D

Pedestrians are Hell's Spawn deliberately trying to walk straight into you, despite looking you straight in the eyes, but yet carry on their merry path/collision course ..... ok not always, but this morning I would swear that some dark power was pushing people straight into my path.

Pedestrians are Hell's Spawn deliberately trying to walk straight into you, despite looking you straight in the eyes, but yet carry on their merry path/collision course ..... ok not always, but this morning I would swear that some dark power was pushing people straight into my path.

You will in time learn that when a collision is imminent with a pedestrian, you lean into the pedestrian and strike with your shoulder .... kind of like Butch James tackles ..... pedestrian goes down and you stay standing.

Takes practice though, but once you get it right you will be left standing and the pedestrian will not be.

You will in time learn that when a collision is imminent with a pedestrian, you lean into the pedestrian and strike with your shoulder .... kind of like Butch James tackles ..... pedestrian goes down and you stay standing.

Takes practice though, but once you get it right you will be left standing and the pedestrian will not be.

So that's what i should have done instead of breaking my elbow

lol ... the thought did cross my mind I have to say :ph34r: Although not being as practised as you I may come off 2nd best :lol:

lol ... the thought did cross my mind I have to say :ph34r: Although not being as practised as you I may come off 2nd best :lol:

I always tackled legally on the field, not so on the road....but please note this is a last resort method

The weather in CPT has been quite sketchy of late, wonder if it will really rain, tomorrow, Wed and Thur?

The weather in CPT has been quite sketchy of late, wonder if it will really rain, tomorrow, Wed and Thur?

Do not rely on the SA Weather site. You will always be wet when they say it is going to be dry and expect dry days when they predict wet weather.