Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeesh the angle of the sun in the mornings and even the afternoons at this time of year, turns pallisade fencing into quite a distraction (strobe effect), I have to cup my hand to shield my eyes. Time to adjust the time I leave...

Why can't I stop trying to beat myself all the time. I'm sitting at work and my legs are FINISHED!

yeesh the angle of the sun in the mornings and even the afternoons at this time of year, turns pallisade fencing into quite a distraction (strobe effect), I have to cup my hand to shield my eyes. Time to adjust the time I leave...

Feels like im in a night club

Why can't I stop trying to beat myself all the time. I'm sitting at work and my legs are FINISHED!

Because for most of us we are our own worst competitor. when i am out on my bike going to work or home i don't take into account weather conditions or extra weight all i have in my mind is my best time and i always try and beat it. that way you get better and faster.

Remember that drivers struggle even more with this, having to look through a dirty windshield against the sun. Therefore, be even more careful on the bike and wear even brighter clothes and a stronger flashing light. If they don't see you, they'll drive right over you!

Remember that drivers struggle even more with this, having to look through a dirty windshield against the sun. Therefore, be even more careful on the bike and wear even brighter clothes and a stronger flashing light. If they don't see you, they'll drive right over you!

Indeed, I was going to come back and add just that. If you're travelling east just after sunrise or west just before sunset, drivers have the sun in their eyes, not you. I feel lights are more useful in this situation than clothing as they can show against the sun.I mean this isn't anything new, it's just that the current sunrise/sunset times are more likely to affect commutes since they overlap.

Took me a loooong time to drop that go-faster mindset and quit mashing up hills. My dislike for what I call "Friday legs" (i.e. heavy legs) helped in this regard. Nowdays I just kick back and spin up the hills, and although I've never timed my rides I know on average I'm within 5 minutes of my go-faster destination arrival times, sometimes less.

Also consider there is a slight angle of hypocrisy - we chide drivers for not taking 5 seconds to slow down around a cyclist but we're so concerned about the seconds ourselves..? It's a journey, not a race ;)

Point taken, it still feels good though, a feeling of accomplishment. Plus for me who started commuting this year, it has helped my fitness tons, to the point where I can now almost push the full 15km of my commute without needing to heave my chest inside out. yes my legs feel but thats about it. Im starting to enjoy the burn and Endomondo is my friend for tracking and Strava for logging segments.

Edited by VolkAdik

Just because you used that path to get to work, doesn't mean it'll be there for your ride home....

We have had no recent floods in Jhb... I can only assume that that there is some road works or works next to the road that "used" the space where the path was?

We have had no recent floods in Jhb... I can only assume that that there is some road works or works next to the road that "used" the space where the path was?

Yup. Loads of road works. Nearly came off in 2 places due to new soft sand piles....

This yesterday was my first commute to work since beginning of Feb when i broke my elbow. Man did i miss riding. A lot more weary now of all things moving around me.