Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

I think it was a joke because of Hairy's triple post.

I just couldn't help myself pulling his leg a little.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aah I understand the 3 thing now, been a crazy day and did not read all the posts.

I learnt after commuting home last night in the pissing rain, that fenders are mandatory - not optional!

Agree with this. 100%

Do not impulsively make a 14km tweespoorpad detour on a road orientated hybrid. Your nuts will scream for mercy...

This morning I learned that I was doing it wrong(driving this morning.)

As demonstrated by a fellow cyclist flashing lights being safe and visible with reflective pants and helmet etc. That the cycle lane that is marked out is to cycle next to it but not in it.

I have always wondered about this breed of cyclist, try as i might i cannot get into their mindset

Hi gents, what lights do you recommend? I know the more the better - but what is best for a budget conscious chap? I do a bit of trail running, not sure what kind of dual solution there is but that would be ideal too. Great thread BTW.

Hi gents, what lights do you recommend? I know the more the better - but what is best for a budget conscious chap? I do a bit of trail running, not sure what kind of dual solution there is but that would be ideal too. Great thread BTW.

My 2c is to stay with the simple lights (no fancy mounting hardware or remote controls etc. is needed). Some of the cheaper models ship with some sort of headband that can be used to mount the light on your head/helmet if needed.

Extremelights.co.za have some good lights.

My 2c is to stay with the simple lights (no fancy mounting hardware or remote controls etc. is needed). Some of the cheaper models ship with some sort of headband that can be used to mount the light on your head/helmet if needed.

Extremelights.co.za have some good lights.

Thanks.

This looks quite nice...http://www.extremelights.co.za/shop/untrafire-c1-with-belt-clip/

Anyone disagree?

I must say I bought a very cheap knockoff cree (I think) LED powered head lamp a while back for trail running at a china mall type place for R120.00 and it is incredibly bright. It's great for trail running untill the sun comes up (2-3 hours life at full brightness) and then starts to fade, should be fine unless I'm night riding I suppose. Just need to mount it somehow.

Thanks.

This looks quite nice...http://www.extremelights.co.za/shop/untrafire-c1-with-belt-clip/

Anyone disagree?

I must say I bought a very cheap knockoff cree (I think) LED powered head lamp a while back for trail running at a china mall type place for R120.00 and it is incredibly bright. It's great for trail running untill the sun comes up (2-3 hours life at full brightness) and then starts to fade, should be fine unless I'm night riding I suppose. Just need to mount it somehow.

If it were me I would go for this one:

http://www.extremelights.co.za/shop/extreme-1200-mkii-cree-bicycle-light/

Its very bright, good enough for riding or running trails. You can also look on deal extreme, prices are great, only problem is the waiting time for shipping and no local support.

http://www.extremeli...-bicycle-light/

Its very bright, good enough for riding or running trails. You can also look on deal extreme, prices are great, only problem is the waiting time for shipping and no local support.

I have one of these : http://www.extremelights.co.za/shop/niteye-b10-cycle-light/

It works really well. Plenty of light, and lasts for a VERY long time.

I have one of these : http://www.extremeli...10-cycle-light/

It works really well. Plenty of light, and lasts for a VERY long time.

I also have the B10, great light. Just hate the handlebar mount which is a little loose (pretty sure I can get it fixed easily, just haven't spent the time on it)

Such a nice afternoon yesterday that I decided to do some extra distance and went to check out the beach at Tableview.On the way back the sun set as I was passing Dolphin Beach and out came the miggies in the millions,making seeing and breathing difficult.Next time I will be prepared with the necessary gear.

Such a nice afternoon yesterday that I decided to do some extra distance and went to check out the beach at Tableview.On the way back the sun set as I was passing Dolphin Beach and out came the miggies in the millions,making seeing and breathing difficult.Next time I will be prepared with the necessary gear.

Ya it gets really bad sometimes, just breath through your nose and look down, otherwise buff and glasses!

Hello Dorris B

I bought a UltraFire C1 about a year and a half (?) ago.

amazing little torch, strong and hardy and my primary torch when walking at night.

I will buy one in a heartbeat again.

but

When I got mine I received it with two Ultrafire batteries, get the "Panasonic" batteries (they're good!) when you buy and don't even bother to use the Ultrafire batteries.

Get rid of the belt clip immediately, its really flimsy.

I don't know if they changed their bicycle mounts since I bought mine a year & 1/2 ago, but don't buy one: its crap. Have one made at a local engineering shop, you will thank me later.

I also have the B10, nice torch and you can't go wrong there. But take note of what Johanpre44 said about the mount.

Good luck if you haven't bought anything yet.

http://www.extremelights.co.za/shop/extreme-1200-mkii-cree-bicycle-light/

I've got one of these and I'm super happy with it, used it last weekend and I had 2 cars flashing me because of the brightness of the front light.

Could not figure out why everyone had problems with the mounts of the lights...

Until this morning. Light bounces everywhere where it should not be (the o-ring models)

I am waiting for another light of mine to clear customs. It has a fixed bracket. Can't wait to get that on my bike...