Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Pretty much what I do. Commuting both ways for me takes too long / too wearing.

It does however mean that your car is already at work for the days it is -2... ;)

No excuses!!

My car used to be at work 4 days a week.

Some days it was very tempting to call in sick. But once we got going it was never as bad as we had anticipated.

PANSIES .... I sold my car as it was never used :P

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wanted to take the bicycle to work, but had stuff that I needed at work, so took the motorbike.

Froze my ass off on the motorbike.

Have to take stuff to work again tomorrow morning. But not looking to take the motorbike to work again. Kept it way below the speed limit

That today my commute started at -2 deg, averaged out at 0 deg and maxed out at 10 deg. It obviously wasn't 10 deg for that long.

I need proper gloves. Going to try glove inners, latex gloves, more glove inners, normal long finger gloves.

Anyone try neoprene gloves?

I've tried the inner-latex-outer layer combo idea the last two mornings - big fail. The latex traps moisture inside so unless you think the only thing better than cold hands is cold damp hands, no good.

(and to boot my inners were left damp which meant I couldn't wear them at work, which is without heat. Not fun times, I suffer from chilblains and right now I'm raising a fine crop)

Keen to hear feedback on neoprene gloves - I've worn neoprene overshoes the last two mornings and they definitely helped.

I've tried the inner-latex-outer layer combo idea the last two mornings - big fail. The latex traps moisture inside so unless you think the only thing better than cold hands is cold damp hands, no good.

(and to boot my inners were left damp which meant I couldn't wear them at work, which is without heat. Not fun times, I suffer from chilblains and right now I'm raising a fine crop)

Keen to hear feedback on neoprene gloves - I've worn neoprene overshoes the last two mornings and they definitely helped.

Hmm. Maybe I just need to scratch out the winter gloves I used motorcycling in the UK. Who needs to change gear anyway.

I bought some Pro winter gloves from sportsmans warehouse. They work really well. Have ridden them in 0 degrees. They cost R399 I think...

That today was min -4, ave 1, max 6 deg C accoring to my Polar watch.

Used one skiing glove and one fleece glove. Couldn't tell the difference between either, and at -4 my combination of glove liner, full finger mtb glove and skiing/fleece glove my fingers were still cold.

Need to find out where those motorcycling gloves have gone. Or find another skiing glove or fleece glove.

Some guys on Marine drive in the dark at 7.am this morning in heavy traffic.Fancy front lights but rear lights need new batteries!!! I am off to get some new ones for myself.Rather use cycle track.

Some guys on Marine drive in the dark at 7.am this morning in heavy traffic.Fancy front lights but rear lights need new batteries!!! I am off to get some new ones for myself.Rather use cycle track.

were they on the road or on the cycle lane?

Sorry miss read that post .... I can not understand why people still insist on cycling on the road along that stretch!

Edited by Hairy

were they on the road or on the cycle lane?

Sorry miss read that post .... I can not understand why people still insist on cycling on the road along that stretch!

Yeah,

There were a bunch the other morning riding into the traffic. Around 0600. Admittedly there are fewer cars at that time but I wouldn't....

Edited by cfcjim

Almost took myself out cold this morning, whilst almost changing a car door opening from halfway to all the way to the bonnet........ Cars were parked parallel on the left of the road and to allow vehicles to pass me on the right, I am staying on the left of the lane. As I reached the boot of this vehicle, this guy swings open his door and literally jumps out. I VERY quickly swerved to the right whilst the guy almost jumps onto his roof from fright. Phew... close call for me. If he is a blood doner, he better go and update his details as his fright would have caused a change in blood group.... ^_^

Lesson learnt : When cycling, be very careful of doors opening and when driving, have a extra look before opening my door....

Almost took myself out cold this morning, whilst almost changing a car door opening from halfway to all the way to the bonnet........ Cars were parked parallel on the left of the road and to allow vehicles to pass me on the right, I am staying on the left of the lane. As I reached the boot of this vehicle, this guy swings open his door and literally jumps out. I VERY quickly swerved to the right whilst the guy almost jumps onto his roof from fright. Phew... close call for me. If he is a blood doner, he better go and update his details as his fright would have caused a change in blood group.... ^_^

Lesson learnt : When cycling, be very careful of doors opening and when driving, have a extra look before opening my door....

Always watch the divert and not the car

Matching a vehicle's speed going down hill makes the cyclist and the "opposing" motorist in the lane next to you smile..... :-)