Burry go back to basics

martelpypie

Wow. Some of the posts on this thread have me wondering if people are familiar with the term "logic".

Don't use 29 wheels because they're heavier and weaker than 26" wheels - you should definitely use 27.5 because - well - they're weaker and heavier than 26" wheels :blink:

29er wheels are not suited to XC racing. Only problem is that Kulhavy is doing alright isn't he?

29er wheels cause mechanicals. What?

You might be missing the logic of what is being said. Correct me if I am wrong, but my logic says:

29 is faster than 26, but inherently weaker due to the diameter... 29's don't cause mechanicals but treating them like 26's will. So what is the best compromise between the strength of a smaller diameter wheel and the distance per revolution of a larger diameter wheel? Easy, something in the middle.

The weight issue surrounding 29's is that more metal is equal to greater weight. So new techniques to reduce the weight comes at the price of strength. This means that a rider familiar with, and capable of aggression from a DH background, has to choose lines more carefully to save the bike. Burry was shocked when he went OTB.. his face had surprise written all over it. Watch the entry again and you'll see that he is too slow to carry momentum over the rock garden. (just as an example)

What does his bike weigh? 7.5KG's?? There is a breaking point somewhere and I think they ride knowing this.. breaking the bike is as bad as falling.

Logical yet?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shooting from the hip <_<

I saw the workshop in Germany last week which is at the subsidiary head office.

There are boxes there with frames, both sizes, the athletes choose what they want to ride, nothing more, nothing less, Mike Sinyard and his staff don't have a dictatorship type approach.

Slightly OT: Is Sinyard still hands-on at Spesh?

Methinks the original poster has a point though - 29er riding is different to 26er - perhaps Burry's style does not suit the 29er platform (personally I don't think his height has anything to do with it).

This could very well be the case, I do however think now hat he has more pressure on him, he is making more mistakes, purely from a stress perspective.

I reckon if he can stay humble and keep his head together and spend another year or two in the big boy category, we might see a new Burry.

Burry was shocked when he went OTB.. his face had surprise written all over it. Watch the entry again and you'll see that he is too slow to carry momentum over the rock garden. (just as an example)

This normally happens when you tend to be a little over confident.

The fact that he lacked momentum, pushing too heavy a gear maybe ?

Very much so, he is extremely hands on and also incredibly fit :D

Great to hear! Too many overlook his contribution to the history of the sport.

Great to hear! Too many overlook his contribution to the history of the sport.

I will post pics I took of the original Stumpy ;)

I will post pics I took of the original Stumpy ;)

Cool! That's surely got to the longest-running model name in mountain biking.

This normally happens when you tend to be a little over confident.

The fact that he lacked momentum, pushing too heavy a gear maybe ?

Just the opposite I think. He did not look confident and was not pedalling on the entry.. He was clearly choosing a line, overly-cautious I would think.. why.. he knows how to handle a bike so I doubt his skills are to blame.. but then I am on the wrong side of the TV. I have faith that he is doing what is required of him but as I said in an earlier post.. there is no denying the XC courses are changing to cover a broader discipline (read gnarlier), and it seems the focus on bikes is still centred around weight.

The question I am asking is, do you ride to save the bike or ride to win.. where is the balance?

You might be missing the logic of what is being said. Correct me if I am wrong, but my logic says:

29 is faster than 26, but inherently weaker due to the diameter... 29's don't cause mechanicals but treating them like 26's will. So what is the best compromise between the strength of a smaller diameter wheel and the distance per revolution of a larger diameter wheel? Easy, something in the middle.

The weight issue surrounding 29's is that more metal is equal to greater weight. So new techniques to reduce the weight comes at the price of strength. This means that a rider familiar with, and capable of aggression from a DH background, has to choose lines more carefully to save the bike. Burry was shocked when he went OTB.. his face had surprise written all over it. Watch the entry again and you'll see that he is too slow to carry momentum over the rock garden. (just as an example)

What does his bike weigh? 7.5KG's?? There is a breaking point somewhere and I think they ride knowing this.. breaking the bike is as bad as falling.

Logical yet?

You're forgetting one thing - 26" and 29" wheelsizes were not built on science they're built on availability and industry norms. There's nothing to say that 27.5" is the perfect balance between strength and weight - it just happens to be halfway between two industry norms. There's no more evidence to support 27.5" being perfect than 32", 14" or 24".

Your statement "29 is faster than 26" is also flawed. Faster on what? Technical? Flat road? Overall? Marathon? XC? No scientific data exsists - or will ever exist - the variable are not measureable.

My non scientific reasons for Burry's performance are:

Confidence - he's had a rocky season (by his own HIGH standards) and confidence in XC is paramount.

Girlfriend - someone mentioned it in a rather distasteful manner but when I heard Burry had a new girlfriend I thought "uh oh". Girlfriends in pro/riding terms are a distraction. From a riding perspective anyway - if Burry is happier overall with a GF then it was the right move.

Qrotor rings - a round ring will always shift better than a squovaloffsquared ring. In % terms who knows? 0.5% worse shifting? 2% worse shifting?

Mostly though - I'd say it's mental. The "must win" stress gets higher and higher the less you win.

That said - I've only met Burry once or twice in passing and don't know him nearly well enough to make any judgement calls. Just my own silly opinions.

I am a huge fan - and keen to see the man back on top again! Bring 2012 - Burry will whoop some ass - a year older - a year smarter - a year more experienced - I have no doubts!

Just the opposite I think. He did not look confident and was not pedalling on the entry.. He was clearly choosing a line, overly-cautious I would think..

I think you need to get out more, especially in the wet.

Ever slipped on a wet root because you just assumed all was fine ?

This could very well be the case, I do however think now hat he has more pressure on him, he is making more mistakes, purely from a stress perspective.

I reckon if he can stay humble and keep his head together and spend another year or two in the big boy category, we might see a new Burry.

I agree. Look he's still young. He needs to gain this type of experience. I think he gained more during this bad season ito experience that he would've if he had a decent season.

We're always quick to relate any success or failure to wheel size when, IMO, this isn't such a massive factor to riders of their class. They'd perform on any bike. That being said, I'm sure the riders and manufacturers put a lot of time and effort into researching and finding the best fit for their style and each specific course.

I've never done an XC race in my life but I would've thought that 26ers are more suitable to XC racing but it is clear that these decisions relate more to the rider than the course in question.

Burry was making progress getting up to the chase group on Saturday after a slow start, then there was a shot of him sorting out his chain or something on his front chainrings, then ... he must been taking chances to try get back time, and did his bars in on that slippery bridge.

The whole event was chaos. The 4x Final was mayhem, they all fell down. The downhill: all the top dogs fell off, only the welterweights managed to stay on their bikes.

But the XC was good racing, and there was no doubt Mr Kool was the best.

I think you need to get out more, especially in the wet.

Ever slipped on a wet root because you just assumed all was fine ?

er, thanks (I think) suggestion taken.. Back to what I was saying though, ever thought you could be faster through a line if you had full faith in your equipment?

That niggle in the back of your mind about a mechanical is enough to make you slip on a "wet root". It is the difference between carrying the momentum through the technical line and avoiding the "said wet root" by lifting the front wheel, and what stops a lot of guys unsure that the speed will meet with something on the other side will cause damage and thereby cost you the race.. I don't know.. I don't base my thoughts on my scientific findings, just on what IS available and what I see on the telly that hinders the riders. No one is going to argue that the course is more technical.. it has already been asked by others if the bikes in their current form will withstand that abuse??

PS, you should try lifting your front wheel over the wet root.. and how embarrassing, that comes from someone who should get out more..

Edited by Pain or Shine