Calling all White Line Crossers

Pantani

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No ways...

if i'm racing elites and theres cop cars and commissaires in front that clear the right hand land while we're guttering' date=' then i'm going with them.

However. If i'm riding E bunch at a funride and suddenly they start riding on the wrong side of the road, then I'll stay on my side [img']https://www.bikehub.co.za/smileys/smiley1.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Smile" />

And when racing reverts back to wet winter afternoons, and funrides are dead because you are too important to obey the rules of the road, what are you going to do for fun?

There can't be two sets of rules, one for funriders and one for superheroes.

When I do ask them "What the hell are you doing?"  They look at me as if I have no right in asking them the question, not even to mention the looks I get.

It only seems to happen in groups D-F!!! 

I take exception to being labeled reckless and a danger to other cyclists on the road. To me it's clear that there exists a chasm between those who race for enjoyment and those who race competitively...

In the aftermath of the "Hels Hoogte" debate I see it fit to undertake to be more safety conscious next time I am out racing and endeavour to always abide by the rules of the road even if it might mean forfeiting a good result.

Of course this opens me up to all sorts of scrutiny. I'm hardly a public figure yet am easily recognisable in the bunch. Are there others out there willing to follow this example and be more vocal during our racing about the dangers of not abiding by the rules of the road?

Sorry bud, let me be equally honest, but I'm out on this one, purely because I dont think its practically possible. Remember the OFM? Remember the R4V before the game reserve? What happened at Helshoogte is not acceptable, but that was an extreme example. I still think we should strive for rolling road closure, in my mind the only viable option.

No ways...

if i'm racing elites and theres cop cars and commissaires in front that clear the right hand land while we're guttering' date=' then i'm going with them.

However. If i'm riding E bunch at a funride and suddenly they start riding on the wrong side of the road, then I'll stay on my side [img']https://www.bikehub.co.za/smileys/smiley1.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Smile" />

And when racing reverts back to wet winter afternoons, and funrides are dead because you are too important to obey the rules of the road, what are you going to do for fun?

Yup... and this is a great opportunity for Pro teams to come out and make their voices heard in the interests of road safety....

No ways...

well then there should either be commisaires and cops for every fun rider group, or there should be no cops and commisaires for racing groups. They're 2 different events that just happen to take place on the same course. you can't lump them together under the same set of rules.

following your reasoning D group shouldnt be allowed to work with C group if they catch them because Vets are not allowed to work with subvets if they catch them?

I dont think so...

Tim B go and ride your MTB in Sedgefield please. I agree if I am in B or C (I think thats my seeding) I'll keep left. If I have a lead vehicle and cops I'll ride anywhere where I think its safe.

What about the right hand turns. lots of peopl cut the corner and go over the right hand lane. are they also going to be DQ'd and disciplined? even though the cops are holding traffic 100m back from the turn? what about going through red robots? thats also a traffic violation? even tho the cops are holding traffic back?

get a life guys

Groot Lem, you're old school and hardcore... Clearly come from a time when racers were racers, not fun riders... lol

Remember that day when I flew past you going up Long Tom, I was going so fast I just about managed to keep my bike inside the lane on the bends... Embarrassed Yes, I was laying the bends on an uphill... LOL Anyway, it would be nice to get the views of older racers, from a bygone era... Is racing racing, or was road safety foremost in their minds and hearts? Then again, they didn't ride with helmets and those who did rode with foam straps on their heads...

No ways...

well then there should either be commisaires and cops for every fun rider group, or there should be no cops and commisaires for racing groups. They're 2 different events that just happen to take place on the same course. you can't lump them together under the same set of rules.

following your reasoning D group shouldnt be allowed to work with C group if they catch them because Vets are not allowed to work with subvets if they catch them?

I dont think so...

I have to agree fully with you....I won't start on some of my pet hatesBig%20smile

I did not think that it would be possible to find people with IQs smaller than their shoe size. It appears that I was wrong.

Get real, people. No sporting event can justify losing your life for.
I FLY2007-12-04 20:37:56

I think you have made your point Pantani. 

It does amaze me however that people are initially all self-righteous, then indignant when their viewpoint is challenged and then choose to attack people's IQ's when they have nothing of value to add to the discussion.

My 2c of opinion. Why bother to have rules. Let every cyclist do as he/she pleases. smiley5.gif

Rules are there to level the playing field. Whether you are an elite or a supposedly 'stupid' social cyclist, we need rules. If you choose to overstep, you must face whats coming your way. So lets play fair and stick to the rules.

The left hand rule is there for safety sake, only total road closure should closure should exclude it.

For people who claim to know the rules of the road some of you blokes know jack sheeet !!! It states in the traffic laws as written by Jan v Riebeeck himself that a traffic official will have priority over any road sign you may see next to the road , i.e if the spietkop tune you to cross the intersection while the light is red you may do so and not break any rules !!!!!