Don't buy from this Hubber

MTB MAN

http://www.nestle.ca/NR/rdonlyres/82B83502-660B-4089-A284-3C88E6F5DFA3/0/DibsChoc266ml_Mar07.jpg

Offering dibs seems similar to offering smarties... so maybe it can't be taken seriously?!

Smarties are legal Hub tender.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well firstly I contacted the seller before I had put the words "DIBS" telling him that I am interested in the helmet with my contact details.Then after that I had sent him a SMS stating I had sent him a PM on this forum with regards to the helmet.Now how is that not concrete evidence and yes he did send me a PM back explaining we would go halves on courier.But I was willing to pay the full amount for courier which I had PM'd him back and 7 minutes later he had sold the item.Now I stand by my decision and yes it might be second hand but it would have just been a collectible item to just put up in the garage.

Guest agteros

Offering dibs seems similar to offering smarties... so maybe it can't be taken seriously?!

Smarties! Where? Dibs dibs!!!

Well firstly I contacted the seller before I had put the words "DIBS" telling him that I am interested in the helmet with my contact details.Then after that I had sent him a SMS stating I had sent him a PM on this forum with regards to the helmet.Now how is that not concrete evidence and yes he did send me a PM back explaining we would go halves on courier.But I was willing to pay the full amount for courier which I had PM'd him back and 7 minutes later he had sold the item.Now I stand by my decision and yes it might be second hand but it would have just been a collectible item to just put up in the garage.

Nope, if you didnt say "I will take it" you have no leg to stand on. "Dibs" are reserved for the top bunk, front seat of the car and last bit of pudding. It means nothing here and the seller have no obligation to it, now remember next time to say "I will take it", if the seller then drops you, well then you have a bit more room to moan. No need to thank for advice :thumbup:

AEBRO, what is your usual helmet size?

It might make you feel better if you know the Catlike helmets are big, really big. I use a medium in all other brands but a small Catlike. There is a chance that it would be too big for you anyway.

I just put at the end of anything I'm advertising that the first person with the cash, gets the product.

I got burnt once on the hub holding "dibs" for someone who said they were definitely taking the bike. Waited 2 weeks and then they decided to take something else. In the mean time I'd lost out on other potential buys as they weren't prepared to wait for something that might already be sold.

That said, certain hubbers have good reputations and in those cases, I don't mind holding dibs, but definitely not for just anyone.

Hey, "dibs" has its own wiki page:

The etymology of the word is unclear.

One theory for the origin of the word comes from markings made with chalk on the back of livestock up for sale in cattle yards throughout the southern states of the USA. Each potential customer would register their unique mark with a registrar at the meet, who would record this information in a "Dibs Identification Book". These books themselves came to be known collectively as DIBS, thereby forming a backronym. This practice continues today and has been adapted to many new situations.

Another claim for the origin of the term can be found in The Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten. Rosten claims the word is derived from the Yiddish phrase "fin dibsy" which means to lay claim on something. Additionally, the 1967 edition of "Dictionary of American Slang" states that the word ballsack "dibs" comes from the verb to divvy.

Essentially, 'to dib' as a verb has to do with "looking down, bending down, or delving into water".[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dibs

I wouldn't stress about that helmet Mr Backwards-Orbea...

it woulda made your head look like some sorta fruit.

http://www.pro-cycling-gear.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/a/catlike-whisper-r211_1.jpg

Tell me that doesn't slightly resemble a strawberry

YUCK thumbdown.gif

Hey, "dibs" has its own wiki page:

The etymology of the word is unclear.

One theory for the origin of the word comes from markings made with chalk on the back of livestock up for sale in cattle yards throughout the southern states of the USA. Each potential customer would register their unique mark with a registrar at the meet, who would record this information in a "Dibs Identification Book". These books themselves came to be known collectively as DIBS, thereby forming a backronym. This practice continues today and has been adapted to many new situations.

Another claim for the origin of the term can be found in The Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten. Rosten claims the word is derived from the Yiddish phrase "fin dibsy" which means to lay claim on something. Additionally, the 1967 edition of "Dictionary of American Slang" states that the word ballsack "dibs" comes from the verb to divvy.

Essentially, 'to dib' as a verb has to do with "looking down, bending down, or delving into water".[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dibs

Watch out word mole I just found a new word "Etymology" clap.gif

Watch out word mole I just found a new word "Etymology" clap.gif

You can use to settle pub arguments. I have a book at home called The F-Word. It's a serious etymological study of the origins of different usages of one of the most used words in the English language.

post-1604-0-70277200-1315288701.jpg

The F-Word

i read it "slooooooowly" and it's the same when i read it quickly.

saying dibs means nothing as often the seller will have received a pm from another hubber before. the guuy may also have advertised elsewhere at an earlier stage and may have buyers who enquire before someone on the hub says "dibs". i don't recall the forum rules saying one may only advertise on the hub

You all are feeding the troll. Just walk away man. Like Mr Dibs should have done.

You can use to settle pub arguments. I have a book at home called The F-Word. It's a serious etymological study of the origins of different usages of one of the most used words in the English language.

post-1604-0-70277200-1315288701.jpg

The F-Word

I need that book.

Kindle store, here I come!

It would've been real simple for the seller to inform the potential buyer that there is someone else interested and based on that first come first serve. If a seller and buyer enters negotiation it shows interest from both parties and they should keep each other informed. BUT I agree that a public attack on the seller is uncalled for, maybe it would have been better to sort the issue out privately?