Don't buy from this Hubber

MTB MAN

Guest agteros

Like accepting dibs as a firm offer of interest, and you are "negotiating terms" while denying the confirmed buyer on the phone with cash in his hand.

The actual problem here on the hub is not a firm offer of interest, but people shouting dibs, and then spoiling the party for everybody with not following through on the shouting, or not even entering the negotiating room.

All the risk is being transferred to the seller by shouting dibs (and honouring that), but there is no penalty for those who just shout and not do anything...

ADMIN: Can the buyer/seller rating reflect a negative score?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The actual problem here on the hub is not a firm offer of interest, but people shouting dibs, and then spoiling the party for everybody with not following through on the shouting, or not even entering the negotiating room.

All the risk is being transferred to the seller by shouting dibs (and honouring that), but there is no penalty for those who just shout and not do anything...

ADMIN: Can the buyer/seller rating reflect a negative score?

+100 All too often somebody asks the type of question that shows interest and as a seller you get excited about a potential sale and the enquirer doesn't follow up. A lot of emphasis is put on the seller but can you rate a buyer?

Edited by Grebel

They were never, at any point in the history of mankind, in fashion

You make your own choices

* sweating like a suited colonialist pig

* or cool and suave in a Safari Suit!

I do not even own a suit. I wear open necked cotton shirts and cotton short pants with sandals. Even to business meetings.

But even Singlespeeders wear Safari Suits, I reckon those things are bombproof, all our Cops should wear Safari Suits.

post-4100-0-69584500-1315403577.jpg

Eggsy - seriously? When you call dibs do you expect the seller to hang onto the product indefinitely until you make up your mind or when you call dibs does it mean "I'll take it". If so then call "I'll take it" and take it.

dibs has no place in buying and selling - its unfair to the seller.

Eldron, I didn't say that I expect the seller to hang on to the article for me while I 'um-and-ah'

That would definitely be unfair to the seller.

Why would I expect this?

If I throw dibs, it does mean that I want to purchase it.

Are you implying that I would throw dibs, only with an end, to be a malicious time-waster?

Drop the lavish lifestyle, dibs means squat, money paid for goods wanted is where it's at, the seller might also be in desperate need of some flying, clubbing and drinking money.

Do I tell you what to do?

DO NOT offer me personal instruction !

Please, I can't stress it enough , it will stop you from making contradictions.

Now go and wipe your eyes, immediately !!!!!!

Eldron, I didn't say that I expect the seller to hang on to the article for me while I 'um-and-ah'

That would definitely be unfair to the seller.

Why would I expect this?

If I throw dibs, it does mean that I want to purchase it.

Are you implying that I would throw dibs, only with an end, to be a malicious time-waster?

I'm not implying anything and I don't really want to get into a debate over semantics - I guess dibs means different things to different people. To me Dibs means "I have this item on hold and the seller can't sell it to anyone until him and I are finished negotiating".

Personally I don't hold anything - if I make a definite plan to sell it at a specified time and place its yours - if not it's first come with cash first served.

The strategy has served myself and my buyers well and I haven't had a single complaint.

Why not just say "I'll take it" then take it? Why do you have to "throw dibs"? If you're fooking about waiting for payday, a gap in your busy schedule or to arrive back in SA from a business trip and someone beats you to the sale it's tough luck/bad timing.

Tsk tsk, put this over that sensitive leetle nerve!

Edited by eccentric1

I have been reading this thread for some time and feel it is time I also come forward and share my experience with this calling "Dibs" on sales.

Last year I had an Orange water bottle lid for sale. On more than one occasion hubbers called "dibs" and " I will take it" only to wast my time and ruin my sale. In the end not one of them ever paid me, causing my thriving new venture to close down. The evidence is in the thread below:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/95748-newish-orange-water-bottle-lid/page__hl__orange+