Don't buy from this Hubber

MTB MAN

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, the great Orange water bottle thread :clap: Nominee for best thread 2010 if I am not mistaken. :P

I have a fresh experience in mind. On Sunday I had responded to an advert on Gumtree in the morning and had consensus on the time to view. At 13h00, during a lunch outing I sent another quick note by sms to confirm the time, as previously agreed to meet at 15h30. I immediately received a reply sms confirming the appointment.

I also went about readying myself by checking the address, throwing in petrol and aimed for a bankteller to draw cash.

Out of the blue, half way there, I get an sms telling me that it has been sold and thanking me for my interest.c

I was irritated by this and responded with scorn calling the seller a bad sport.

But it was the end of the story.

It was Gumtree. That's to be expected in a way. Isn't it?

I think it worth investing some keyboard effort in this thread.

The point of my posts here and the support for the term 'dibs' is simply that this is not Gumtree.

The opportunity exists for transactions in the hub community to be different. To be fair and transparent. This should be easily regulated with the trader rating system. We wanted the system, and now that it exists it is not utilised.

If I dibbed and failed to perform I should be called to act in the thread and consequentially and objectively receive a negative rating.

If the seller pulled a move on me like the past experience, I would give a negative feedback for the benefit of others. Such sellers may leave and post their goods on other classified sites where this is acceptable. I am also pretty sure that the quality of advertising will improve: with more detail and prescriptions. The sale will improve with attention paid to the comments and questions expressed on the sale thread until it is sold and updated regularly.

We are advertising to the whole country, if not the whole world. Be specific in who you would prefer to deal with and how you would like to transact. Be specific about exclusions. If you don't accept dibs ... say so !

If you fail to do this expect someone from far to have interest in your article. This person may be the first to respond openly on the thread. He/She cannot appear at your door with cash like the guy down the road. There is a need to deal fairly with this person who has loads of questions and requires more pictures and needs to know whether you can post and at what cost and who will pack the bike and oh hang on, I've never done this before and I need to find a courier. Do you really not expect this if you did not state otherwise in your ad? How do you handle this when the guy down the road phones again after only 30min and reminds that he can be there still tonight? and how do you react when the guy down the road says that he will pay an extra hundred rand?

Do you really just say to yourself: "oh well first come first serve ONLY means first with the money!, stuff the other guy, that's a mission."

OR do you think: "oh well, I did not list exclusions, so let me deal squarely with this purchaser and let him know that the info is accurate and what is possible and that there is this much reasonable time to reach closure; and at the same time inform the second possible purchaser of that status."

I don't see how "dibs" has no place.

I don't see how it is unfair to the seller.

I think the seller should be delighted if the potential buyers "took-a-number".

That way the seller and the buyers know the sequence of events and expectations of all parties.

The seller is aware of obligations to next buyer.

The buyer is aware of obligations to the next buyer.

In a scenario where three people expressed by mail or phone or thread from different adverts that they want the article... how does the seller establish who may purchase it.

A clever seller couldn't be bother with accepting the responsibility of establishing sequence and I believe the most objective determination is for buyers themselves to dash for the "take-a-number-dispenser" I would not want to debate and argue about who was first or dished an injustice or recieve hate mail etc etc, if the possibility of such a simple "dibs" mechanism existed. A clever seller would revere the dibs system !!

Fairness would prevail.

I deal a lot with collectible cycling articles. These are goods not often seen or available. Buyers are fanatical and passionate. this community deals among itself in an orderly and simple manner with the dibs system. Speed, performance and reputation for a wonderful article is critical. Money is not the key issue. Postage and product is carefully finalised.

I guess in the commodity goods this argument doesn't hold much water; but the example is worth presenting for contemplation.

Edited by HeartCoppi

Adults saying "dibs"....

hahahahahahahahahahaha [emoticon lying on floor laughing and shaking] hahahahahahaha

File along with "finders,keepers" &

"he who smellt it, dealt it"

Adults saying "dibs"....

hahahahahahahahahahaha [emoticon lying on floor laughing and shaking] hahahahahahaha

File along with "finders,keepers" &

"he who smellt it, dealt it"

My 7 year old boy has that as his favourite saying nowadays, so I don't dare ask who farted ? :lol:

Obviously the transaction had two sides and 12 pages worth of debating. The real problem however is in the title of the tread. That is malicious towards another Hubber. If this is suppose to be a comunity that cares enough to respect dibs then buyer should have first try to resolve the matter with seller before resorting to badmouthing behavior which obviously had two (12 pages worth of )sides.

Coppi - you're forgetting the main point here... The "dibs" wasn't seen until the guy who phoned had concluded the deal.

If you want something so badly, make sure you do everything in your power to get it. In your case - did you ask the guy to hold it for you? If not - it was a swak move, yes. But not a wholly unexpected one, in my opinion.

If somebody has something I want and others may be interested in it, I ask them to keep it for me. The most heard answer to that request is "sure. Unless somebody else comes up with the cash"

I accept that as part of the process of buying/selling articles, no matter where you go. Anybody who does not will be setting themselves up for disappointment.

In all fairness - depends on the level of trust and communication.

If a hubber I trust and has a bit of a track record says dibs on my bottle of Beck Reserve Rose champers, 2006, (or some bike part or other that I would never sell) - then I would trust that it would be bought by said person.

If however, I am unsure, I would make it clear, that he/she/them/they/it with the cash first would get the deal. Like that other oke who handed the cash over everyones head while they were diskussin tha deal.