[Event] 2012 XCOSA.Co.ZA Series

BodyBikeFit

Just thinking, and maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread. Why can't they use the SAS number boards? After the first race you'll have your seeding for the next race.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thinking, and maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread. Why can't they use the SAS number boards? After the first race you'll have your seeding for the next race.

Here it is :)

post-26963-0-73643400-1327471511.jpg

Here it is :)

post-26963-0-73643400-1327471511.jpg

I was referring to where you start in your category. eg. If you win the first race, you can then start in the first row at the second race. From what I understand at cross country races you line up in rows according to your rank/seeding. I could be wrong though.

I was referring to where you start in your category. eg. If you win the first race, you can then start in the first row at the second race. From what I understand at cross country races you line up in rows according to your rank/seeding. I could be wrong though.

We do have a seeding system, but we don't use SAS numbers though. For the first race there will be a batch start for each category and we will use the results from the first race to determine the next race's seeding

We do have a seeding system, but we don't use SAS numbers though. For the first race there will be a batch start for each category and we will use the results from the first race to determine the next race's seeding

That's my point. Why don't you use the SAS number boards? That way people wouldn't need to drive through to collect a number on Friday. You'd get more people racing. Either use the SAS number boards, or allow people to collect their race number on race day. :)

Valid point from cyfermaster!

We should get to the point where you have 1 regualting body - 1 race nr - 1 compatabile timing company.

Currently I have 4 diff timing chips - what`s the point?

If anyone is unable to pick up their numbers, you are welcome to PM me your name, surname, ID and cellphone number. I am going to pick-up my number on the Friday anyway.

I am racing in the sub-vet category and will not hang around the entire day, so arrange a pickup time too.

Start times similar to the National and Provincial XC, although a bit later. Guys you can make start time slightly earlier. In line with the NationalmXCO start times. Other than that all looks quite good. Is the course marked yet?

Edited by Scalpel

<p>The XCOSA.CO.ZA Race Series is a concerted effort to address the needs of so many people that want to enjoy lap racing and also involve the family. Hence our focus on development and the skills workshops we host before each race to teach participants how to ride the coarse. Our predicament is that the logistics for a XCO (cross country) race differs vastly from that of a XCM (marathon) race. Furthermore, due to the lack of properly presented XCO races and an abundance of XCM races, in the same way we as the XCO event organisers "learn as we go", riders must also be educated on the differences between the 2 mtb disciplines. Saturday's race is the 1st race in the series and serve as "introduction" - and believe you me that when we get to the Grand Finale on 24 Nov 12, we promise to have much less moans about the race logistics. What we have however realised is that when you have 200 participants, you will have 200 different views of how it should be run. Our current race admin is founded on the manner in which races are organised in Europe and local provincial and national series XCO races. As for number pick-up before the race, it is customary for XCO riders to ride the coarse before the race - not doing so with the 1st race is acceptable as the trail is not very technical, but if you want to try that with the last 3 events, make sure you have your own bike mechanic and ambulance on standby :-)! Either that or you will have very short races as remember you are removed from the track when you are lapped ...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>As for the number board, again, vastly different from XCM: batches are according to age category and not performance, and consequently the timing system is different. As a result of that we don't need timing chipped boards but color coded age category boards. Our timing system, engineered by professionals, has been designed to accommodate different ways of data capturing and for next year we consider "non-manual" means of data capturing, implying different boards. The current number boards are offered at our expense! Why then use a different timing system? Well, nothing is free and the more we as event organisers pay for timing, the more expensive the race becomes for entrants ...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>We have 20 age categories that start racing from 8h30. If each category only race for 1 1/2 hours it implies 30 hours of racing, which we have to condense into about 8 hours. That means all initial race admin i.e. data capturing of participants and converting that into starting lists must be finished before the 1st race starts, leaving us with very limited time available before the race on race day. That is why all race entries close 16h00 on Friday, 27 Jan 12, with limited capacity for number pick-up on race day. That is also why we can only accommodate 500 entries on the day! </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Come and enjoy ...</p>

right - just found out that I have just over an hour to pickup my race number for tomorrow - that wont be happening, while I understand the above comment it unfortunately does not mean I can put it into practice...seems I will have to stick to XCM or really go out my way to make arrangements to do the next XCO event which for most working mtb'ers is not really an option

As for number pick-up before the race, it is customary for XCO riders to ride the coarse before the race - not doing so with the 1st race is acceptable as the trail is not very technical, but if you want to try that with the last 3 events, make sure you have your own bike mechanic and ambulance on standby :-)! Either that or you will have very short races as remember you are removed from the track when you are lapped ...<p></p>

Does this mean that I can ride the route on Friday when I collect my race number?? I'll just tell my boss I'll be out all morning...

So if I don't ride the route before race day, I will not be able to ride the route that Nippers and Sprogs are going to be able to ride?? Or do they do a completely different route?

Edited by cyfermaster

That was a good race. Thanks very much zaShadow for collecting my number.

The course was a lot of fun with a few tricky parts to keep us on our toes. I thought I was setting quite a good pace until Burry and Philip passed me. Then I had to put a foot down to make sure I was actually moving :blush:

So the last reply i checked in this thread was the "limited number collection on the day"

This morning i line up the whole friggin family ( as this is advertised as a family event) 2 boys and a little baby. Needless to say, as these things go, we leave the house after schedule.

Made it to the venue with 15 minutes to spare. My wife took the boys to the registration table where she was met with hostility by a young man with an xcosa cap, about being late and not being allowed to start. Only after profusely insisting on riding, and help from the race comm. Was my boys allowed to start.

I understand that you are a new event but you as event organisers will go a lot further being more helpfull and accomodating. It is afterall something i paid for, no one asked you to host this event for free.

I have to say the xcosa ladies was very helphull after the whole not being allowed to start debacle, which is greatly appreciated.

I considered sending an email but my email enquiry about CSA affiliation of your club is still unanswered. And as you can see there is a clear issue about the number collection on the day before, as posted on this thread.

As a matter of interest, how many of the elite riders collected their numbers on friday? I saw a lot of them picking up their boards 15 to 20 minutes before the start.

Other than that issue, my boys absolutely loved the race. The event is a great initiative, as i far prefer these to the xcm events.

Lets see what the next race brings!!

I am sure there were some teething problems which will be ironed out in future races but overall an excellent kick off to a great series. :clap: .

As a marathon rider I was blown away by the excitement, riding skills and fitness demonstrated by the riders. Apart from a few exhausted expressions we were met by a whole lot of smiley happy faces.

The elite men surely showed us what is meant by cross country racing. I must admit I can not wait for the next round.

Thumbs up to XCOSA.CO.ZA team for this new and exiting event. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Best regards

Ockert

www.CyclesOnline.co.za

Edited by CyclesOnline