Urban Assault 2011

Capricorn

Guest Omega Man

Where do you enter. I know action cycles arent involved this year.

Dunno. I'm just doing the shuttle day this year cos I arrive from Zim the night before. Ugh.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do you enter. I know action cycles arent involved this year.

snip from mountainbiker.co.za "Gravity-inclined mountain bikers have the opportunity to experience an event with a difference when the Red Bull Urban Assault takes place in Cape Town, on 22 and 23 October 2011.

The Urban Assault is a little different to the regular downhill races – riders start two-at-a-time, with the option of choosing who you race against, such as a friend. Two runs provide a second chance to turn the tables on your friend.

Starting on Signal Hill in Cape Town, the downhill course on mostly jeep track terrain finishes at the Vista High School in Bo-Kaap. The course design allows room for passing and it is quite fast in places – a prefect opportunity to record your time at the speed trap, with prizes awarded to the fastest riders passing through the speed trap.

The course is not difficult although it does involve going down some stairs towards the finish.

Race registration takes place on Saturday 22nd October at Action Cycles from noon to 3pm, with race practice from 2pm to 5pm. A short Sunday practice takes place on Sunday 23rd October from 7:30am to 8:30am, and racing begins at 9:30am.

For further info and to enter, contact Chris Nixon on 084 777 7802, or email chris@chrisnixon.co.za."

• 2 weeks later...

just from watching the video i tried to figure out the route and made a lame map. does this look right to anyone? the big drop is marked with an X

http://i.imgur.com/Ik7ef.jpg

Guest Omega Man

post-18968-0-78590800-1318256596.jpg

The blue line. Sorry for the artwork. That's why I'm in Accounting.

The red route looks like the original Urban Assault held over a decade ago.

Pity I'm in JHB, would loved to have come and watched this year.

ya the video i watched was from 2003, haha

race looks a little less urbanny now, especially if it ends at the school at the bottom

Guest Omega Man

race looks a little less urbanny now, especially if it ends at the school at the bottom

Oh ja. That's way back. The last time the race was run it ran down that curvy fire road. It then turned right at the section of tar. goes UPHILL for abt 100m. (Dropper seatpost anyone?) it then kinda winds down till you get to a school field where they had a scaffolding bridge over the school fence. you then ride through the school and end on a basketball court.

I assume the route is gonna be pretty much the same as last time.

It's actually a cool race cos there are choices to be made. Do i tuck and rest on the fire road so i've got energy for the uphill? Or do i pedal on the fire road and risk hitting a wall on the uphill bit?

Also do i want to chase my mate and risk crashing into him if he goes down or do i want to lead pulling him down the hill?

...what's your tactic this year? Have you got a mate to chase or are you leading this time??

I am available to lead.. Just saying :P

Challenge accepted..

Ac1 Vs V10

Guest Omega Man

..sorry, you're not riding.. My bad.

Anyone need a partner?

I am riding. Yippee. Although i think my entry fee will be more than most. I bought my wife a Spa treatment at Mangwanani for her birthday. She's going the weekend of the race. Lucky coincidence that. (Thumb on nose)

I'm riding with Vince again (I think) so I'll chase him down the hill again.

You should ride with Richard He's pretty quick for an old timer with 2 dodgy ankles.

im paired up already yo

so is there still an urban style section with stairs and drops after turning onto the tar road?

How tech will this be? Compared to waht route on Tokai? Is it like the red bull rampage with those big jumps etc? :blink: :unsure: