Urban Assault 2011

Capricorn

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

which route did u take down?

Hrmmm I’m gonna get flamed for this! We ride at night so it’s around 7.00 - 7.30 - no one is around. Don’t know all the twists and turns, as I follow my mates.

Up signal on the road until the Kramat, hop onto the foot paths on the spine of signal until the small car park.

Back onto the road until the top of signal road overlooking the bay, left over the boom down onto the jeep type path and back towards T.M. Left down a very steep/drop-off type path, few tight turns and then one long run.

Can’t remember which way we turn, but we hit a another single track down with some nice turns and then hit a raised fast drop off type path, into the tress and then right onto a rooty section down onto the upper road of Tamboerskloof.

Edited by Chubba

u lost me chubba. from small car park onto tar road, up toward the tourist viewing spot? there is a boom gate on the RIGHT that leads onto a fairly steep and rocky as hell jeep track. after that I dunno where u riding :P

u lost me chubba. from small car park onto tar road, up toward the tourist viewing spot? there is a boom gate on the RIGHT that leads onto a fairly steep and rocky as hell jeep track. after that I dunno where u riding :P

Something like this - read description again.

post-12790-0-20480000-1316523149.jpg

hhahhhahha.. u lost me at steep drop off with tight turns. first thing in my head is " no hell no he cant know where the secret track is.."

your image (thanks!) above clarifies. All perspective i guess :P

I've probably seen you before..

hhahhhahha.. u lost me at steep drop off with tight turns. first thing in my head is " no hell no he cant know where the secret track is.."

your image (thanks!) above clarifies. All perspective i guess :P

I've probably seen you before..

So you saying i havent found your secret track?

So you saying i havent found your secret track?

wouldn't be secret now would it ;)

Besides, not so much secret as a work in progress. But maybe it's best if kept under wraps. But if you know SH in any way, then a clue would be: it begins with a concrete lip.

:lol:

Edited by Capricorn

wouldn't be secret now would it ;)

Besides, not so much secret as a work in progress. But maybe it's best if kept under wraps. But if you know SH in any way, then a clue would be: it begins with a concrete lip.

:lol:

Will have to go do some snooping! ;)

Hi guys, just wanting to know your feelings on this being a head on head race rather than a time trial (as the other Red Bull urban races seem to be). Am I wrong to think this changes the style of the comp significantly?

to be honest it doesn't really sound like much of an urban assault - lots of jeep track with some stairs at the end?

to be honest it doesn't really sound like much of an urban assault - lots of jeep track with some stairs at the end?

Compared to some of the international ones I've seen I'd agree. The layout of the city bowl doesn't allow for endless amounts of urban downhills. Still, there's at least a 5 to 8 minute run down from the top of Signal hill. Agreed though that most of it is jeep track and bo kaap sections only really begin from the noon gun area. Depending on which route they choose through the top sections I think it could be easy or nasty.

I'm just feeling that there's a different energy between a time trial based race and a head on head one. I'm wondering if there's a reason for this decision on their part, like perhaps it gets things done quicker? I'm not really a fan of head on head racing. I prefer the idea of a race against myself. That's my personal preference and of course I have nothing against the 2 x race either. What do you guys who are riding this event think?

Guest Omega Man

Compared to some of the international ones I've seen I'd agree. The layout of the city bowl doesn't allow for endless amounts of urban downhills. Still, there's at least a 5 to 8 minute run down from the top of Signal hill. Agreed though that most of it is jeep track and bo kaap sections only really begin from the noon gun area. Depending on which route they choose through the top sections I think it could be easy or nasty.

I'm just feeling that there's a different energy between a time trial based race and a head on head one. I'm wondering if there's a reason for this decision on their part, like perhaps it gets things done quicker? I'm not really a fan of head on head racing. I prefer the idea of a race against myself. That's my personal preference and of course I have nothing against the 2 x race either. What do you guys who are riding this event think?

The 2 x 2 thing is actually loads of fun. The idea is to ride with a mate that is the same speed as you so you can push each other. By doing that you both end up with a better time. You are still racing the clock so you aren't really racing the oke next to you.

My strategy last time was to ride with someone who is way faster than me so i could chase him and he could effectively "drag" me along. Shot Vince.

The route looks like it's gonna be the same as the last time the race was run in 2009. Riding down the stairs is just so frikkin dangerous and having the traffic pigs stand there costs loads of money and they do NOTHING. The first time I did the race i almost got mowed over by a car in my race run cos the traffic cop didn't want a little drizzle on him.