Dear Giant, please send the Reign to South Africa

wesley_r

It is really good to have your input here Ghostface.. how quick was that for an answer Wes??

bloody fantastic :thumbup:

I'm with Cap on the frameset thing - on my Meta 5.5 I have a host of parts from my old bike, from new, etc to build the sort of ride I want. Come upgrade time the idea of getting a Reign frameset (for example) with shock (as most framesets are sold) is massively appealing, as I can take everything I've collected across to the new frameset and build the sort of bike I want, for a good price.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bloody fantastic :thumbup:

I'm with Cap on the frameset thing - on my Meta 5.5 I have a host of parts from my old bike, from new, etc to build the sort of ride I want. Come upgrade time the idea of getting a Reign frameset (for example) with shock (as most framesets are sold) is massively appealing, as I can take everything I've collected across to the new frameset and build the sort of bike I want, for a good price.

+1000

the last OEM part on my 05 Reign frame is the seatpost collar. I cannot fault it!

+1000

the last OEM part on my 05 Reign frame is the seatpost collar. I cannot fault it!

...and paint! (seen as the trend to re-colour has caused it to become an upgrade option!!)

Some good info on this thread. Also good to know about the frames, as I'm starting to think about an Anthem X 29er frame..

+1000

Hie hie... the last complete bike I bought was in fact a Giant... the good ol' Giant VT1! Still a classic.

Ghostface, I think the way to get the Reign more recognised is to get them out onto the trails so that people can see what they are capable off. If you insist on giving me a Reign, free of charge of course, I suppose I could thrash it out on the trails and help do some marketing. It's the least I can do. Shall I PM you my delivery address?

:whistling:

I know what u referring mr masters of business anarchy. it's very much the same in my previous playpen: PCs: whiteboxes versus DSP builds.

As bikes go, they more in the DSP category than whiteboxes as even the lowest spec sub component on a popular branded bike with entry level components is branded. In whiteboxes, the stuff is so generic you could've cobbled it together for all I know, and the overall build is extremely simplified and consolidated into as few multifunctional components as possible. That is, massively integrated.

However, using Kashima as analogy is somewhat flawed: it's an ultra performance item intended purely as an 'aftermarket' customisation option. But obviously, also available to those who lack the skill to justify ultra performance, but got the cards to get the look.

So with framesets, it's almost irrelevant what the added components are because the framesets are of standard quality. From x1 all the way to top level spec, the frame remains the same, unless it comes in carbon flava. So the OEM/Bulk argument doesnt work for frames. At all. It's all just about bulk. All the added components do, imho, is fluff up the price. So i'd rather pick and choose quality sub components and carry those over come upgrade time.

Edited by Capricorn

So i'd rather pick and choose quality sub components and carry those over come upgrade time.

Imagine I took my Meta and rebuilt it onto a Reign frameset (or a Santa Cruz butcher for that matter :drool: ):

- X7 drivetrain and shifters, Stylo cranks modded to 2 ring with bash

- Juicy 7 brakes

- Alex Rim supra BH's with DT Swiss spokes, Giant 15mm through-axle hub

- Fizik Saddle, Boobars, Giant stem

- Rock Shox Sektor Coil 110-150mm

Not the best parts spec under the sun but you'd end up with a pretty freaking solid bike!

Flawed or not, the picture is painted Gold.

Are we on the same page? Frames are under duty radar. Full bikes are taxed. Aftermarket components are expensive, more so than OEM (for whatever reason), so frame imported for DIY will match (hope) the expense of full bike with added duty.

Part of the added cost on aftermarket, not discussed yet is storage. Warehouse shelves cost $ and for that you pay too.

I agree that your own choice in components is ideal. But the other factor of brand excellence comes from selling factory tested bikes. If MTBR is filled with "Giant sucks coz my 29" wheel does not fit my 26" bike" , that will have an affect on brand reputation. It is in the manufacturer's best interest to supply complete bikes tested with the recommended components.

i bought a frameset the other day for a price that totally undermines your assertion. But if u keep classifying items as aftermarket, then sure, prices might be higher as a theoretical construct, but again, the price i paid completely disagrees, and that price is from the LBS. Full bike would've been almost R4k more.

huh? I'm confused. Components are what I refer to as pushing up the price. The question was asked of Dragons.. would it not be cheaper to bring in only frames, thereby saving on full bike import costs. Then, create a workforce around assembling aftermarket items (components.. fork, bb, bars etc) for LBS distro..

If you are swapping your parts from old frame to new, then you won't be buying aftermarket components.. that will def see a saving. It is what I want to do now.. not that I need to, but I'll add up what a two pound frame weight saving will cost and that will be my justification..

Am I getting this all wrong?

Edited by Pain or Shine

but I'll add up what a two pound frame weight saving will cost and that will be my justification..

that's also a good point.

Spoke to the Giant rep in Europe. In Europe they sell 4 trance for every anthem in SA they sell 6 anthems for every trance.

Just confirms that Saffers suffer from a stupid herd mentality! A Trance encourages you to roam free. Anthems seem to all want to congregate in starting chutes and fight over the same piece of farm road.

• 8 months later...

Word to the herd

Hows those reign/glory frame prices looking>? :rolleyes:

Edited by GrubScrew