Dear Giant, please send the Reign to South Africa

wesley_r

I would definitely consider a AM machine :thumbup:

Until then, I am happy with my current bike :)

Put a 150mm fork on your EX and you've got an AM machine ;) I rode an EX9 for 2 years. Great bikes, but it always felt that the front end had too little travel compared to the back end.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Put a 150mm fork on your EX and you've got an AM machine ;) I rode an EX9 for 2 years. Great bikes, but it always felt that the front end had too little travel compared to the back end.

Schweet!! :thumbup:

Hi guys. Yes, we are getting in some Reign's for 2012. We have custom ordered a few for riders over the past year or so and will be carrying more stock in future. With the SA AM market being rather small and stores being reluctant to carry stock on the floor, it's hard to gauge future sales when looking at importing these bikes.

We have been able to get a few that will be here in a couple weeks (touch wood) but most are still in production and will only be in SA late in Dec or early Jan (Jan most prob).

The SA Giant site should be live next week with all the 2012 models to view.

We can custom order pretty much any bike from the range so if there's something you want and are willing to wait a little bit, we'll get it for you.

James.

Hi guys. Yes, we are getting in some Reign's for 2012. We have custom ordered a few for riders over the past year or so and will be carrying more stock in future. With the SA AM market being rather small and stores being reluctant to carry stock on the floor, it's hard to gauge future sales when looking at importing these bikes.

We have been able to get a few that will be here in a couple weeks (touch wood) but most are still in production and will only be in SA late in Dec or early Jan (Jan most prob).

We can custom order pretty much any bike from the range so if there's something you want and are willing to wait a little bit, we'll get it for you.

James.

Good on you James, thanks for the response :thumbup: If I was still in the market the Reign would get serious consideration but alas I have just spent all my budget on my current whip so the next one's a few years away still

I rode the Reign X1 (the navy blue one) last year at a ride before you buy and fell in love. There's one standing at my LBS, but alas, a little out of my budget!

I think something that would go a long way to growing the AM market would be more AM / Enduro / Super D style events. The Enduro / Super D circuit is blowing up in the states, and that sort of race format would be great here - especially since we have great trails for that sort of thing!

James.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I guess it would be too early to talk pricing? :unsure:

Good on you James, thanks for the response :thumbup: If I was still in the market the Reign would get serious consideration but alas I have just spent all my budget on my current whip so the next one's a few years away still

I rode the Reign X1 (the navy blue one) last year at a ride before you buy and fell in love. There's one standing at my LBS, but alas, a little out of my budget!

I think something that would go a long way to growing the AM market would be more AM / Enduro / Super D style events. The Enduro / Super D circuit is blowing up in the states, and that sort of race format would be great here - especially since we have great trails for that sort of thing!

I also think there needs to be one or 2 at the "Ride before you buy" events that will convert people quick ;)

Prices will be on the website once it's all finalized. On the US vs SA pricing. You really can't just take the US price and times it by whatever todays exchange rate is. SA has big import duties on complete bikes and this throws that calculation out the window.

Prices will be on the website once it's all finalized. On the US vs SA pricing. You really can't just take the US price and times it by whatever todays exchange rate is. SA has big import duties on complete bikes and this throws that calculation out the window.

For sure. I was just guesstimating the price, based on the US / Rand difference on the Trance Advanced SL according to the RRP on the US and SA sites...

but what about catering for the custom build groups. Surely bringing framesets (zero rated customs wise) will also grow the market as many ppl are more willing to upgrade the frame while using existing components that already work. I'm one of those ppl.

but i take it that pushing frameset doesnt give distributors the margin they want right? <_<

Edited by Capricorn

not far off.. you'll see Tokai will be getting trails in preparation for summer that will cater for all bikes, but the true potential of the trail will lie in the 140mm+ bike. More trail developers are moving to greater technical designs as the bikes get stronger with lighter tubing, offering long travel at the sub 30pound mark.

Sorry - hijack.

Why don't the major brands bring in the new stock as components and then assemble locally, creating employment with no extra added cost to the consumer (i.e. increased labour cost offset byt reduced duties). I'm sure this would benefit the local bicycle industry hugely?

Hijack off.

Oops - sorry - just saw Capricorn's post above.

Edited by Nimby

Sorry - hijack.

Why don't the major brands bring in the new stock as components and then assemble locally, creating employment with no extra added cost to the consumer (i.e. increased labour cost offset byt reduced duties). I'm sure this would benefit the local bicycle industry hugely?

Hijack off.

Oops - sorry - just saw Capricorn's post above.

Well since margin is important, manufacturers fit OEM components sources at reduced rates. Aftermarket is always more expensive so RRP will be much higher than import duty included. James should be able to clarify.

But framesets for existing components, that will not attract the duty of a full bike.. right?

We do a good amount of frames in Anthem X and Trance X and have taken framesets more seriously over the past few years. Road frames are doing well too.

The thing is that when international production starts on a range all the frames that are build go towards building the completes. Only after those orders are all filled are the after market frames available for us to purchase.

Getting feedback from you guys is great and knowing the demand is growing helps us to investigate these options. Ultimately we needs the stores to get more involved and carry stock on the floor. This will allow us to convince the powers that be to order more bikes. :)

Like I said above, if you see something you like we'll try our best to get it. We can check online if the bike/frame is in stock and if it is, we can add it to the next leaving container. If it's not in stock, we can find out the next production date for you.

Obviously, all orders have to take place through a Giant Dealer.

Well since margin is important, manufacturers fit OEM components sources at reduced rates. Aftermarket is always more expensive so RRP will be much higher than import duty included. James should be able to clarify.

But framesets for existing components, that will not attract the duty of a full bike.. right?

as i said, zero-rated.

PoS what you trying to say???

Frames also come from OEMs. Shocks, BBs and headsets needed to complete a frameset will of course be sourced in bulk, and of course from OEMs.

Aftermarket is of course more expensive because of additional packaging and advertising et al, required to push the product.

But he responded and I'm pretty stoked for his response. Action Cycling is my LBS of choice, so I'll get it thru them.

Edit: The question was, why not assemble aftermarket components after importing frames.. This would avoid the import duty on a full bike.

One factor I did not consider that James mentioned is that frame overruns fill the orders/smaller production requirement.

---

ah ha, bulk and packaging are not the only cost savers. It is a known fact, though not widely known, but OEM also contain internal differences. Look at the obvious one.. but not limited to.. the Kashima coat was not supplied as stock, only aftermarket or a build to order. The cost to supply Kashima will push the bike for that segment above competition..

There are some differences inside forks and shocks too.. while it does not adversely affect riding or performance, you can bet that an aftermarket *insert product here* will either outperform, outweigh or last that bit longer..

I read this in several places, but first in MBA.

Edited by Pain or Shine