Highways not for cyclists - EMPD

gummibear

It's ridiculous how many cyclists you see on the N1 in Bloemfontein. Yes, it's Bloem, but it's still the N1.

The N4 is also definitely a problem.

Careful Squier.....

Not all N roads are by the definition "N" calsified as a highway!!! ;)

I am not sure about Bloem of where and how etc. but there are places where the N1 is NOT a highway! :thumbup:

Just saying.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why?

It's just natural selection if you want to chance a push bike on a highway. Stupid is as stupid does.

I ride the N4 to Harties 90% of my rides... 5 or 6 days a week to tell the truth. Not dangerous at all.

I try to avoid the Bakwena to Rustenburg most of the time but I still use it 1 or 2 times a week. That is A BIT dangerous, but still not a bad piece of road.

Yup.....targeting the easy ones again I see......they need $$$ for year en xmas bash. :thumbup:

Much easier to target a bike than to fine the taxi skipping the red light this morning with no license or means to pay the fine.

O how I LOVE the Metro...... <_<

Stupid argument to try and justify your illegal behavior.

Just start doing the right thing, and then they can't "victimize" you anymore.

Laws be damned - if it's safe ride on it - if it's not then don't.

If you let yourself be governed by laws alone then you're likely to end up correct and dead.

I've said it a millions times - engage brain whilst riding bicycle, driving a car or living life in general.

A pointless debate around the legality of riding on any given road is a moot argument...

As mush as I agree with this......not very clever using that argument in a third world country......with teenagers in it.... ;) :P :lol:

Your 'safe' and another person's 'safe' are two different things......

Most drunks can then argue....to hell with laws....it seems safe to drink and drive and skip the red light.

And then you child gets killed and you bemoan the fact that no one follows the rules.

So yes.......use your brains but hell boet.....Play by the rules.

Surely you can find a road to ride on that is safe and NOT a highway?!?!?! :thumbup:

Yup.....targeting the easy ones again I see......they need $$$ for year en xmas bash. :thumbup:

Much easier to target a bike than to fine the taxi skipping the red light this morning with no license or means to pay the fine.

O how I LOVE the Metro...... <_<

Agreed :clap:

Cyclists and pedestrians on freeways deserve to be flattened. It is just plain stupid, and death is a good cure for stupidity.

+ 1

But using that logic 90% of road users should die "as a cure for stupidity".

Most likely you guys included? :unsure:

Me for sure....I have received a speeding ticket before thus braking the rules? Stupid yes?.......mmmmm....

Pity we can't just shoot everyone that breaks a rule....

Nah that would be plain stupid now hey....?

As mush as I agree with this......not very clever using that argument in a third world country......with teenagers in it.... ;) :P :lol:

Your 'safe' and another person's 'safe' are two different things......

Most drunks can then argue....to hell with laws....it seems safe to drink and drive and skip the red light.

And then you child gets killed and you bemoan the fact that no one follows the rules.

So yes.......use your brains but hell boet.....Play by the rules.

Surely you can find a road to ride on that is safe and NOT a highway?!?!?! :thumbup:

When I said engage brain I meant engage brain not get smashed off your face on jelly shooters then try and engage brain whilst driving. Driving drunk is hardly the smart thing to do right? I think we have common concensus there...

I still maintain that if people thought more and bickered less about what was legal and what wasn't that less people would die on the roads.

I get your point about safety being relative and alas my "use your brain" model will never work because the majority off people seem either incapable or unwilling use to use their grey matter.

Still I prefer wronged and alive over right and dead.

Edit: With regards to your "play by the rules" comment I'll use this old chestnut - riding in the emergency lane is illegal right? But we all do it because it's safer. Riding outside the emergency lane would be silly and extremely unsafe. Brain over law.

Alas my argument is also a moot point becuase stupid people don't learn and pompous jerks like me don't either because we know we're right :D

Edited by Eldron

Me for sure....I have received a speeding ticket before thus braking the rules? Stupid yes?.......mmmmm....

Pity we can't just shoot everyone that breaks a rule....

Nah that would be plain stupid now hey....?

Point is, if you do the crime, take the punishment. Don't cry foul.

The things you guys talk about, being stopped for these things and having to pay fines to fund someone's xmass party doesn't happen to me. Why? I stop at stop streets, and red lights. I don't speed. My motorbike is 100% legal. And trust me, the EMPD stop every single motorbike they see.

Point is don't try and blame someone else for you doing the wrong thing.

Much as I really hate having to say this... I am 100% in agreement with TNT1 on this.

(Please someone, anyone, document the momentous occasion of me agreeing in totallity with TNT1 on something :-P )

Point is, if you do the crime, take the punishment. Don't cry foul.

The things you guys talk about, being stopped for these things and having to pay fines to fund someone's xmass party doesn't happen to me. Why? I stop at stop streets, and red lights. I don't speed. My motorbike is 100% legal. And trust me, the EMPD stop every single motorbike they see.

Point is don't try and blame someone else for you doing the wrong thing.

What?....is it "lets bitch about Spidy's posts Monday" today? :unsure:

Not blaming....lees mooi seun.

Admitting! Blaming MYSELF for not concentrating hard enough to keep it under 100 while trying NOT to get hit by the MoFO truck speeding 130 past me!

I have done wrong. Pay the piper and move on.

Good for you if you live within the laws. Good for you. I am sure your dad is proud! :thumbup:

The point I am getting at is fairness. If the EMPD plays fair, i.e. fine EVERYONE that does wrong and not just the easy ones, then surely we will have a more law abiding citizenship? Less deaths on our roads? Win-win?

Just a thought.....

No go ahead and bash this one too....I am out of here....!

What?....is it "lets bitch about Spidy's posts Monday" today? :unsure:

But I did agree with you on the sub 3hour argust thread... :D

...use your brain.....disobey some laws with common sense etc

i disagree with you here. By nature we are not instinctive and we therefore are taught how to do things. It may make sense for you to ride on the highway and be cautious and logical, but someone else may see you and "learn" that is ok to do that but not be quite as smart as you, and the net result is a road statistic.

A while back I had a bitch about house of paint team training on the N2 by ballito, and someone argued that it was the safest place. That may well be true, but, for the exact reason as above, it is wrong

Sigh! This one again - it probably deserves its own forum. Not all national roads are freeways. If the following sign appears at the on-ramp, you may not ride there. If there is no sign, it is not a freeway and is open to all traffic.

post-14151-0-66888600-1316431732.jpg

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/traffic-control-devices-manual/sign-specifications/images/r05-01-nolabels.gif

Just learned something new regarding that "Freeway" sign...thanks LeTurbo. Always assumed that it was just there on all dual carriageways. I regularly see cyclists on the N17 out on my side of town!

Call me a "Weiner", but I tend to follow the law...just makes life a little less stressful. Take the mystery out of it. I want to enjoy the ride, not be looking out for cars with blur lights. Thats why I have a motorcycle licence. I can ride without worrying about cops.

Different strokes for different folks. If other okes want to do things differently, go for it, just dont interfere with my life.

Unfortunately, three years ago, new years day, a stupid, liberated couple let their unlicenced son take the videos back, just quickly, in Dads car. He wrote off my wifes car, with her and my two-year old son in it... Being law abiding citizens, my wife was wearing a seat belt and my son was strapped into his seat. Both OK, but we lost R70k on the new car. It could have been a lot worse.

The "law does not apply to me" is fine, unless it effects somebody else!!!

Edit: With regards to your "play by the rules" comment I'll use this old chestnut - riding in the emergency lane is illegal right?

It's only illegal if you're driving a motor vehicle. A bicycle isn't a motor vehicle.