The sub7 - Majick Forests FUN timed run

nigelhicks

Have any of you guys been to the top, top section past the substation (and obviously rode down it). Is it worth the effort getting up? My fitness levels are so low I struggle to change gears in my car without wheezing.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for me, that track to the left after the camel humps is the best, oh well...

after the camel humps, left straight away? yeah, I love it too. super gnarly, but not everyone's cup of tea I guess...

Have any of you guys been to the top, top section past the substation (and obviously rode down it). Is it worth the effort getting up? My fitness levels are so low I struggle to change gears in my car without wheezing.

hahaha

that bit up there is actually pretty cool , but then you need to go ALL the way up - to the back fence. Some nice bits of trail up there, not very long compared to the climb to get there though...

after the camel humps, left straight away? yeah, I love it too. super gnarly, but not everyone's cup of tea I guess...

would be interesting to compare the time between the two...the immediate left gnarly one is great fun but slow and short, the other route is longer but high speed...you might find the steeper gnarly one is quicker though, so you could shave a few seconds if you've got the balls :)

It's a pity that section gets eroded so quickly. It gets repaired and then 3 weeks and 2 thunderstorms later it's just dongas everywhere. But ja, the okes with AM bikes will be fine, but then the HT riders will have to be really wakey if we take the route down there.

would be interesting to compare the time between the two...the immediate left gnarly one is great fun but slow and short, the other route is longer but high speed...you might find the steeper gnarly one is quicker though, so you could shave a few seconds if you've got the balls :)

Well what you waiting for! Go do the run and this time take the gnarly route. Report back asap.

for me, that track to the left after the camel humps is the best, oh well...

Yeah that inside line after the camelhumps is sick! I loved that line when i rode there .. its awesome when its eroded like it was when i rode it. I could actually double out of that corner before the last bank, over the erosion gully and land on the opposite (right)bank a the bottom where it joins onto the lower trail! ... SO FAST ... but could never make the 90 turn and always ended up in the bush! hahaha

Yeah that inside line after the camelhumps is sick! I loved that line when i rode there .. its awesome when its eroded like it was when i rode it. I could actually double out of that corner before the last bank, over the erosion gully and land on the opposite (right)bank a the bottom where it joins onto the lower trail! ... SO FAST ... but could never make the 90 turn and always ended up in the bush! hahaha

Sheesh. I seriously need to get some full face protection and knee/elbow pads. You can't really blast that section without good protection. I've had one very bad crash in that section where I lost the front end and basically rolled (... not on the bike)to the botttom.

What bike do you ride with at Majik?

Sheesh. I seriously need to get some full face protection and knee/elbow pads. You can't really blast that section without good protection. I've had one very bad crash in that section where I lost the front end and basically rolled (... not on the bike)to the botttom.

What bike do you ride with at Majik?

naah you dont need a full face for that section ... its not that gnarly! ... i ride a GT Force Carbon ... so its a six inch travel full susser ... I can double that lower corner even with my seat up at XC height (but remember i am an old DHer so im used to jumping with a high seat) hahahaha

naah you dont need a full face for that section ... its not that gnarly! ... i ride a GT Force Carbon ... so its a six inch travel full susser ... I can double that lower corner even with my seat up at XC height (but remember i am an old DHer so im used to jumping with a high seat) hahahaha

No sure, I obviously also go down there without any protection, but for a non DH boykie (like myself), I guess you'd feel a lot more comfy if you knew there's some extra padding should things go wrong.

Man, I'm actually so sad that I never got into the DH scene when I started mtbiking. Mostly out of ignorance I guess. Now that I'm close to 40, you just don't have the balls (or smaller one's :D ) to try big DH type stuff.

Man, I'm actually so sad that I never got into the DH scene when I started mtbiking. Mostly out of ignorance I guess. Now that I'm close to 40, you just don't have the balls (or smaller one's :D ) to try big DH type stuff.

Dude ... dont kid yourself that you are old and cant do it now!!! I got My chicks ballie into DH last year AND HE'S 50!!! ... He was USELESS in technical stuff when i forst met him - but 3 years on and a FULL DH race season under his belt and now hes gapping things and really enjoying his riding ... (he used to get off and push at the first sign of a rock).

I organised my old DH bike from 10 years ago for him for 2000 bucks - built it up and gave it to him as a Xmas present with my spare full face and some kit ... and he raced that for a season (and won the Masters cat - even though he was like last overall every race - but who cares) ... he has now bought himself a 2011 Mongoose Booter ROMO for next year ... and hes LOVING it ...

So dont be scared to start - you are never too old ... and it will REALLY help your XC riding ... then start riding DH with Cap and those guys and just progress ... you'll see how it translates to your XC immediately!

This pic is Peter on the 10 year old Wheeler ... riding the one rock garden on the World Cup track in PMB at a provincial race this year ... if he can do it you can do it

post-16861-0-84376100-1316590955.jpg

This pic is Peter on the 10 year old Wheeler ... riding the one rock garden on the World Cup track in PMB at a provincial race this year ... if he can do it you can do it

That's awesome. You drive a hard bargain sir!

Ja I guess the first step is to get the right gear (FF helmet, pads etc) and go from there. And then see how quickly the confidence grows. Take it step by step.

Ja I guess the first step is to get the right gear (FF helmet, pads etc) and go from there. And then see how quickly the confidence grows. Take it step by step.

Just start riding stuff that you feel mildly uncomfortable with then take it from there. You probably see some things now that you never dream of riding but the most rewarding thing is when you come back in a couple of months / a year and then ride it perfectly :)

yeah dude ... get a full face .. and then take your 29er put the seat down and go ride a provincial DH in the fun class ... you dont have to race ... just experience the thrill of it.

Then if you keen to progress look for a cheap 2nd hand older DH bike for like 5 or 6k and give it a go.