Fork lockout - useful / not?

pauloc

Hey guys,

I hardly ever lock my fork out, even though I've got a fancy little remote lockout at my fingertips. This got me thinking about how many people actually use this functionality, and if so, when?

In my experience, the only real benefit seems to be when you're standing up and mashing the pedals to get up a nasty incline, but this is usually only a short burst and I don't normally have time / remember to lock the fork out in this scenario.

Cheers,

Paulo

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the remote lockout makes a bike look ugly. I refused to get one. I have lockout on my shocks and only use it on a long smooth climb. Or if I am commuting on the road on my mtb

I used to lock the fork out on smooth sections then ride the rest of the race wondering why everything was so friggin rough only to realise I forgot to unlock it.

Decided not having it was better on the derriere!

I used to lock the fork out on smooth sections then ride the rest of the race wondering why everything was so friggin rough only to realise I forgot to unlock it.

I've done that before... <_<

I agree with the Eldron, I would flip the lockout and never put it back...same with my RP23(pro-pedal switch)

I ride full open on both...ala couch :D

Edited by rouxtjie

I have also removed mine from my bike.

I always forget to unlock it and then suffer the consequences on the long down hills.

Cool. Glad to see I'm not alone on this one :)

Thanks guys.

Will take it off when setting up my new Ritchey WCS cockpit tonight.

I used it often, and often enough that I forget it's locked out on the descent. and I dont seem to mind much. Love the extra stiffness to be honest. Too much wallowing up front makes for arm pump and the sensation of an impending involuntary dismount OTB. If the trail is smooth, i leave it locked, if it gets rough, a quick reach and twist and it's one click off locked. I LOVE a stiff suspension. Wish I could firm my DH fork up too, like really really firm.

Cool. Glad to see I'm not alone on this one :)

Thanks guys.

Will take it off when setting up my new Ritchey WCS cockpit tonight.

Pics or we dont believe you

I miss that bike...demmit

I'm old, what's your excuse ;)