Fork lockout - useful / not?

pauloc

@Grebel

So you ride with Pro-Pedal activated...which setting btw 1-2-3?

I am not actually sure... I tried going up hill with the lever all the way to the left and all the way to the right and to be honest looking at the shock travel while riding, I can't really see that much difference! Maybe the pro pedal isn't meant to work with heavy weights like me!! :P I just leave it alone now because it doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference to me.

What setting are you using?

(I haven't even read the manual that came with the bike... might be a good starting point!)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not actually sure... I tried going up hill with the lever all the way to the left and all the way to the right and to be honest looking at the shock travel while riding, I can't really see that much difference! Maybe the pro pedal isn't meant to work with heavy weights like me!! :P I just leave it alone now because it doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference to me.

What setting are you using?

(I haven't even read the manual that came with the bike... might be a good starting point!)

I ride with it full open since I dont feel robbed of any efficiency but maybe that is just me or my bike. But if I had to run pro-pedal it would be on 2.

I friend of mine on her santa cruz blur XC swears by setting no 2 on pro-pedal, she never runs full-open. I am not exactly 100% sure how it works but it's not supposed to be a full lockout like on a RS monarch. Ping JB or any other RP23 expert here

PS that frame is ready if you want to pick it up.

Edited by rouxtjie

I ride with it full open since I dont feel robbed of any efficiency but maybe that is just me or my bike. But if I had to run pro-pedal it would be on 2.

I friend of mine on her santa cruz blur XC swears by setting no 2 on pro-pedal, she never runs full-open. I am not exactly 100% sure how it works but it's not supposed to be a full lockout like on a RS monarch. Ping JB or any other RP23 expert here

PS that frame is ready if you want to pick it up.

I will ask my mate Google a bit later to explain it to me!

PM about to be sent regarding the frame!

Interesting - I don't really feel any bob / wallowing on the open stuff. Do you find you're out the saddle quite a bit?

Out of saddle only on the declines. I was well advised to learn to sit and climb ;) )

Also, when going down, I tend to have a fairly aggressive front bias wrt body weight. DH habit i guess as my DH bike is quite a bit slacker.

Before the current fork, I had an old manitou that was mostly past it's best_before, hence the wallowing and diving. New fork's (RS Revelation) compression adjustment works the way I like it.

I would much rather prefer a remote lockout for the rear shock ... now that would be handy. Lock it when climbing and unlock when going downhill.

I never lock the fork!

Have recently bought a fork with a remote lock out, I find it quite useful on the tar roads when en route somewhere and also on the 'not so rough' dirt roads when going uphill.

+1

Off on tar on ....on on gravel...

Not remorte lockout though...my arms are long enough to reach down to fork... :)

Always lock my fork when not going downhill. Also find that when going steep uphill and you might stand for a few seconds, if the fork is unlocked you loose traction way more than if it were locked.

My one fork is permanently locked out, but when I do use my other bike, I leave it full open and never, ever touch the lockout.

I don't have remote lockout but if there is a hill longer than 500m or so and it doesn't require lots of traction I always lock it.

Or if its a short steep climb that requires a sprint.

I have however, riddin down all the ay from the mast to the bottom of tokai through all the singletrack thinking my bike was waaaay rougher than usual, i only realised when i put it on the bike rack :blush: :blush:

I will only "lock out" if I am standing.

I had a remote unit on my Reba, but removed it and got one that sits on the fork. I needed more space on the handle bar.