Show us your pets

tunariaan

They are an amazing breed. So much charisma. The expressions he has - pulling his ears flat/back when you raise your voice or when he is uncertain. He "talks" to you when he wants attention, making diffetent pitched howling/growling sounds. And they are busy. He is ball-mad, will chase anything that is thrown until he collapses out of breath.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Mactavish my SIL Scottie loves to pull on anything like playing tug of war with a thick rope ... the only way I can get him to let go is to touch his front feet.... this he cannot ignore and tries to bite my hand letting the rope go

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mactavish my SIL Scottie loves to pull on anything like playing tug of war with a thick rope ... the only way I can get him to let go is to touch his front feet.... this he cannot ignore and tries to bite my hand letting the rope go

This one too. His jaw is even as strong as a Staffie's. You can pick him up and shake him around while he is hanging onto the rope.

His name is Rover. Unofficially Rover McRover....

The story of a dog called Dude and the Christmas lamb.....

My neigbour was kind enough to give Rufus a big lamb femur after Christmas. I knew he tends to get the runs from eating bones, so, I should have just accepted the gift and chucked it in the bin.......but noooooo.......in the spirit of giving and receiving I couldn't throw Rufus' present away, could I? Bad mistake!

Yes, you guessed right! I regretted my decision for 3 days afterwards while I had to clean up the shitty mess all over the backyard. Just as well he's my best pal! But my new years resolution is to be totally hard and heartless next time!!

Edited by DJR

Question: What is your policy with bones? I read somewhere cooked bones are really dangerous for dogs as they become brittle and splinter. Therefore I almost never give my dogs bones anymore.

I assume raw bones are still okay, but my policy is better safe than sorry.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

............I read somewhere cooked bones are really dangerous for dogs as they become brittle and splinter............

Yes, that is the common wisdom.

But you will hear from gazillions of people who give their dogs cooked bones and never have a problem. Others believe sheep and cow bones are Ok, but not chicken bones. Nobody mentions horse bones. :ph34r: 

Personally, I don't give my Labs bones.....except when I am stupid / weak enough. A hoof seems ok for them to chew on.

Question: What is your policy with bones? I read somewhere cooked bones are really dangerous for dogs as they become brittle and splinter. Therefore I almost never give my dogs bones anymore.

On the farm we had 8-10 big dogs always (Great Danes, Irish wolfhounds and bouviers). We used to give them massive bones that we got from the butcher without ever having a problem. Our Spaniel Cross Collie has got hold of bones a few times and we have had to get him sorted out by the vet 3 times with splinters in his guts, resulting in pain, discomfort and significant costs.

No bones and no human food.

It has happened a few times with the scottie that a bone gets lodged either in his top or bottom jaw.

They might get some gravy over their pellets at times. And they are given food twice daily. There won't be half-eaten bowls of food around

Edited by AnythingBut

Nope. Many moons ago (I was still in primary school) we lost our border collie due to what was suspected to be a bone-related gut injury.

So, rather safe than sorry - I don't want to experience that again ever.

At long last a photo of these two. They just don't keep still long enough. They are sister and brother, albeit 1st and 2nd generation. Left is Nina (tan), she is 17months. On the right is Boela, he is 18weeks...

We had to spay (*spelling*) her which resulted in her picking up quiet a bit weight. 68bb207a2fb063f62ad22a5d2e03085e.jpg

Batcat trying to figure out how to get up there.

She is growing and very cute..still food crazy and has actually put her whole head in my mouth trying to take my food out of my mouth.

bfa6c4c7c90178b616c87b3216e8ff7c.jpgf9e19fe841202309bb23a05aa3c5a40d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk