Show us your pets

tunariaan

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the AlgoaFM Daron Mann Show facebook page

Who remembers the adorable, arthritic dog that became an Internet sensation in 2013 when photographer Hannah Stonehouse Hudson snapped a photo of Schoep and his human, John Unger, embracing in the waters of Lake Superior? Unger regularly waded in the water with Schoep to relieve the aging pooch's arthritis. Schoep died in 2013 at the age of 20. Unger adopted Schoep when he was just an 8-month-old puppy. The dog had been abused by his former owner, and it took time for the little guy to trust Unger. The two finally developed a bond so strong that Unger credits Schoep with saving him from a deep depression following a bad breakup. Well, this week, Unger has invited a new rescue dog, named Bear, into his home. He posted the news to his Facebook page on Feb. 24, saying, "I am whole again..."

Since its appearing on Tuesday, the Facebook post has generated more than 72,000 likes from a community that rallied around Unger when Schoep died.

11034209_836381223075231_531678529623281
Like ·

· Share · 7

I remember reading about that like it was yesterday Deanbean, a truly remarkable story.

They say a picture says a thousand words, well, that one of Schoep been cradled in the water says more than any words ever could,.. there are incredible people out there,.. this gentleman is certainly one of them.

I have a sneaking suspicion about what her name is... :-)

Lol Tumbly One, we tried Kindle a few times, but Kindle has some sort of dignity to it - this girl is a goof trooper of note!! There is no dignity or elegance here...she is hilarious. The tail wags & sends everything flying & smacks the hounds in the face.

She falls over in the car. She is just so goofy!!! She needed a goofy name :)

I took her to work with me & when I shower her to my boss he also fell in love with her & sent me home. Then later I got an SMS from him saying "please send me a photo of Molly" hahaha...we all laughed so much at the silly name that it stuck.

She is a honey bunny - the others love her & because she is only 18months & has legs like a giraffe she can outrun & outplay them. They have been tearing around the house & garden since we got home yesterday!

She isn't really sure what a ball or rope is, but she loves running up & down :)

When we gave them all dinner last night the true scars of her neglect came out...we had to restrain her before we could put the food down, she just went crazy, like she hadn't ever seen food before. She then inhaled her bowl of food so quickly that we could give her another one still all before the hounds had finished their bowl.

She is starving hungry :(

The weird thing is that when I saw her at the SPCA she definitely had food in her bowl that she wasn't eating...I think maybe she is an emotional eater, if that even exists in dogs?

Ian J may need to give us some cat integration tips...we tried a little introduction last night, but it resulted in Molly getting two mouthfuls of Maine Coon fur, so we quickly put a stop to it.

Not sure how to go about it the correct way as she is very boisterous!

What a special soul she is though - happy right down to the tip of her waggy tail & she gives lovely big kisses!

Opened the door to let my gang out this morning and they all raced down the steps...and froze! This little female was cowering under a rose bush. Luckily my dogs are not aggressive so we have had no issues but now the problem is finding out whose dog it is! She either just managed to squeeze under the gate (and I say just managed as we have some wire at the bottom of the gates as the collies 'roll' their tennis balls under the gate to play with anyone who is passing by!) or someone put her through the gate during the night. She is very tiny, looks like one of those mini Dobermans! She even managed to growl once when I picked her up! Been up and down my road and no-one seems to recognize her...quite at home on the couch!

post-12678-0-41810500-1425109302_thumb.jpg

Lol Tumbly One, we tried Kindle a few times, but Kindle has some sort of dignity to it - this girl is a goof trooper of note!! There is no dignity or elegance here...she is hilarious. The tail wags & sends everything flying & smacks the hounds in the face.

I took her to work with me & when I shower her to my boss he also fell in love with her & sent me home. Then later I got an SMS from him saying "please send me a photo of Molly" hahaha...we all laughed so much at the silly name that it stuck.

She is a honey bunny - the others love her & because she is only 18months & has legs like a giraffe she can outrun & outplay them. They have been tearing around the house & garden since we got home yesterday!

She isn't really sure what a ball or rope is, but she loves running up & down :)

When we gave them all dinner last night the true scars of her neglect came out...we had to restrain her before we could put the food down, she just went crazy, like she hadn't ever seen food before. She then inhaled her bowl of food so quickly that we could give her another one still all before the hounds had finished their bowl.

The weird thing is that when I saw her at the SPCA she definitely had food in her bowl that she wasn't eating...I think maybe she is an emotional eater, if that even exists in dogs?

Ian J may need to give us some cat integration tips...we tried a little introduction last night, but it resulted in Molly getting two mouthfuls of Maine Coon fur, so we quickly put a stop to it.

What a special soul she is though - happy right down to the tip of her waggy tail & she gives lovely big kisses!

:clap:

How about Spindle? More erratic! :clap:  

Drop me a mail to ian@huskyrescue.co.za and I will give you some assistance.

:excl: Spam warning!!!

Some images of Miss Molly's first weeked at home...

For somebody who didnt know what a dog bed was when she arrived on Friday night, she learnt about them pretty damn quick!

Also managed to catch the first of many games with the hounds in the garden - smallest one at the front with the ball & Molly tearing along behind.

And the first walk - she was amazing, we had a choker chain on her in case we needed it, as well as a soft harness - the choker wasnt used at all & the harness was left dangling most of the time as she stayed to heal after the first few minutes. :clap:

This girl has stolen our hearts completely - from the moment we sit up in bed, the tail starts beating & doesnt stop till the light goes out at night. She looks at us like we are her heros & even gave her first bark at a passer by last night.

Now I just need to chat to Ian about the kitties :eek:  

post-46219-0-18886300-1425284808_thumb.jpg

post-46219-0-63550400-1425284814_thumb.jpg

post-46219-0-42266300-1425284824_thumb.jpg

post-46219-0-43718700-1425284834_thumb.jpg

:excl: Spam warning!!!

Some images of Miss Molly's first weeked at home...

For somebody who didnt know what a dog bed was when she arrived on Friday night, she learnt about them pretty damn quick!

Also managed to catch the first of many games with the hounds in the garden - smallest one at the front with the ball & Molly tearing along behind.

And the first walk - she was amazing, we had a choker chain on her in case we needed it, as well as a soft harness - the choker wasnt used at all & the harness was left dangling most of the time as she stayed to heal after the first few minutes. :clap:

This girl has stolen our hearts completely - from the moment we sit up in bed, the tail starts beating & doesnt stop till the light goes out at night. She looks at us like we are her heros & even gave her first bark at a passer by last night.

Now I just need to chat to Ian about the kitties :eek:

Some basic pointers.

Must use a harness and leash to control her. Take her into a room with no other dogs. Once she is calm get someone to bring in the cat and preferably sit with the cat on their lap.

Judge her excitement level and if it is more excitement than psychotic killing instinct then once she is calm allow her to approach the cat but controlling using the leash. Try to keep control at all times but if possible the leash should not be too tight as this creates more tension. The person holding the cat should keep stroking her to keep her calm but if the cat is not comfortable let her go and try again later.

Let the dog approach the cat as close as possible but keep away from biting distance, once she has smelt the cat take her away a bit, let her calm down and then approach again. You may need to do this quite a few times and over a few days until the dog realises the cat is not a snack or toy and will lose interest.

Never assume that all is ok until you are absolutely sure and if you are leaving them alone make sure the cat has escape routes such as open windows, security gates or high furniture she can jump on.

The main thing to see is her reaction, you should be able to see if it is just curiosity or a mad rage, if she settles down after a few minutes you will probably be ok. Don't forget to reward her with treats if she is good with the cat and leaves her so she associates leaving the cat alone with being rewarded.

Let me know if you need help.

Edited by IanJ

Some basic pointers.

Must use a harness and leash to control her. Take her into a room with no other dogs. Once she is calm get someone to bring in the cat and preferably sit with the cat on their lap.

Judge her excitement level and if it is more excitement than psychotic killing instinct then once she is calm allow her to approach the cat but controlling using the leash. Try to keep control at all times but if possible the leash should not be too tight as this creates more tension. The person holding the cat should keep stroking her to keep her calm but if the cat is not comfortable let her go and try again later.

Let the dog approach the cat as close as possible but keep away from biting distance, once she has smelt the cat take her away a bit, let her calm down and then approach again. You may need to do this quite a few times and over a few days until the dog realises the cat is not a snack or toy and will lose interest.

Never assume that all is ok until you are absolutely sure and if you are leaving them alone make sure the cat has escape routes such as open windows, security gates or high furniture she can jump on.

The main thing to see is her reaction, you should be able to see if it is just curiosity or a mad rage, if she settles down after a few minutes you will probably be ok. Don't forget to reward her with treats if she is good with the cat and leaves her so she associates leaving the cat alone with being rewarded.

Let me know if you need help.

LOL - thanks Ian, you're the best.

I just mailed you while you must have been typing this!

I like the idea of taking her into a different room to meet the cats - we havent tried that. Instead we brought the cat into the room that she was most comfortable in.

You'd think if you look at the cats that they wouldnt be scared of too many things & I guess they could probably outweigh Molly if they fight her together! :w00t:

post-46219-0-07015200-1425296774_thumb.jpg

post-46219-0-75269200-1425296809_thumb.jpg

Edited by Little Fish

I like the idea of taking her into a different room to meet the cats - we havent tried that. Instead we brought the cat into the room that she was most comfortable in.

Cute......one day that will be Molly and the cats kipping together.....

You'd think if you look at the cats that they wouldnt be scared of too many things & I guess they could probably outweigh Molly if they fight her together! :w00t:

attachicon.gifkitties 2.jpg

attachicon.gifkitties.jpg

Love the cats and Molly is a cool looking girl too.

Doesn't really matter which room except no other animals to keep excitement low and try one cat at a time.