Challenge Cape Town postponed

Garfield2010

Victoria, you are misleading/misled. There is no way on earth the traffic department/s/City Council gave permission for the cycle route proposed. Even the Argus has to fight for it every year. Stop lying to people, and admit you f@£$%^&*d up.

Exactly my point. This is becoming an integrity issue now.

Front up.

But yes to your point I really wonder how many people did enter?

Some say 400, other say 200 it seems now.

Now look at the cycle route. Basically the Argus + a bit. Now check the run route as this also needs closure. Throught the CBD of Cape Town up accorss the mountain (next to the cable car almost) and over down over suikerbos etc.

Is this really realistic for a 17 hour event with between 200 - 400 people?

They should have started and hosted this event around a place like Pringle Bay or somewhere more realistic. Then as the entries flowed in, they could have used this to bargain for upgrades etc.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Full refund received so even though I will never forget or take part in another "Challenge" forever and ever and ever again, it is now time to move on....

So Zula..... give me a list of things me and my wife can do in Cape Town over that weekend. 3 full days.

Waterfront? Table Mountain? What else? Its a pity the cricket test only starts the Tuesday!

Full refund received so even though I will never forget or take part in another "Challenge" forever and ever and ever again, it is now time to move on....

So Zula..... give me a list of things me and my wife can do in Cape Town over that weekend. 3 full days.

Waterfront? Table Mountain? What else? Its a pity the cricket test only starts the Tuesday!

Shark Dive !

Suicide Kloof !

Pick fresh mussels at Scarborough and have a moerse lunch !

Cycle the Argus route for free... just do it early enough that the porkers don't spoil the day.

Ummm, you can be shark bait at Fish Hoek Beach, can go look at pengiuns and swim at boulders Beach, go for a drive at cape Point, Do the cable car thing, go for a walk in Silvermine Nature reserve or even Kirstenbosch gardens. You can also do the tourist-ie thing of the V&A, Canal Walk

Or you can do some hill repeats on Suikerbossie, Signal hill, Kloof neck and others mentioned in another thread.... All up to what you want to do.

Wine farm hoping in stellenbosch

Restaurants in Franschoek and the motor museum

Kirstenbosch gardens

Hout bay harbour

Olympia cafe in kalk bay

Simons town

Cape Point Nature Reserve

Chapmans Peak

Clifton and Camps Bay

Shew list goes on and on

...and there's a small town called Stellenbosch where you can get lost/sloshed for 3 days/weeks...

give me a list of things me and my wife can do in Cape Town over that weekend.

Paulaner Brauhaus! :clap:

The only decent thing in CT!

Edited by TNT1

I would DEFINITELY book a wine farm tour both you and wife will really enjoy the day out. If anything you must do this. Take a couple of bucks or a credit card so you can buy some of the wine to take home. You cant buy a lot of the wine from Makro. Just a cautionary note ! the wine starts to taste better and better as the day continues but is NOT necessarily better :lol: . Been a few years so cant remember the name of the wine farm but we started our wine tour with some "Sparkling wine" tasting. Now I'm not a champagne dude but that stuff was brilliant. I'll ask my wife tonight what the name of the farm was.

Money back plus free entry to Challenge Roth, one of the best Iron distance events on the planet. They are now starting to put some money where their mouth is.

No meaningful apology is pretty lousy of them.

Edited by davem

That's a bit like saying "hey, sorry your cricket match was cancelled.. here play some bowls, even though you only have cricket gear and have been doing cricket practice" ;-)

Or someone who possibly lives in Cape Town.................

I have tried to phone and email the organisers. They dont answer or respond........ I am getting worried...

I Garfield2010.

We are busy trolling through all the emails one by one at the moment and it is a taking a while. Please bear with us. The same has been for the phone, we are here we just field ten calls at once

No need to be worried, just taking a bit of time. Please call me on 082 5645345 if you there is anything specific you want to ask, etc. Phone is busy but am returning all calls. Grant RD CCT

Money back plus free entry to Challenge Roth, one of the best Iron distance events on the planet. They are now starting to put some money where their mouth is.

No meaningful apology is pretty lousy of them.

Hi Davem.

We are really sorry, this was not in our plans and neither yours. We are trying to make amends and we learning out of this aswell. CCT wants to sit proudly alongside Roth in the future. This is a setback, and we will come back stronger. We not the first race which has to postpone, IM China had same thing. This is nt excuse but these are complex beasts to put on, in particular in a City as unique as Cpae Town. It is definitely not the ambitions of CCT to not go racing. If you got suggestions for next year or any other input, please send to below details. Grant

Please feel to email on grant@challengecapetown.com(will take a bit to respond, there a few at the moment) or call on 082 564 5345.

Because you can really compare a lap race around the cradle to racing around the cape peninsula!

There's a reason CT has so many options, because its the outdoor sporting mecca of South Africa and is probably the most beautiful city in the world. Big events like to attract foreigners and the last time I looked JHB is a transit city and not a destination. Cant see why anyone would want to go to JHB for a holiday. Also don't forget what happened with the tour of South Africa when they went through JHB? Complete and total disaster if you remember correctly.

Like I said previously the blame should land squarely on the organizers shoulders. Cape Town is a world class city and understands the exposure it would have gotten through this event. Clearly they have requirements in terms of number of cyclists and road closures etc etc and this wasn't thought out to well by the organizers. The city organizes plenty of road closures each month for sporting events so clearly with Challenge something was amiss and I don't think you can point a finger at the city for that.

Hi Zula,

Yes the City arranges a number of events as we all know. The complexities of the CT's landscape are the the reasons why we want to be here but on the flip side creates untold challenges given the distance involved. 180km is a different beast to 110km of the Argus. Yes, it would be dead easy to put it in Big Bay or another destination who we have had plenty asking for it. But like yourself agree that racing in the peninsula is something we would all love in race trim. Ultimately the age grouper needs the same unhindered racing line as the pro and an in there lies the rub. Iron-distance triathlon cannot be treated the same as Argus, Oceans and the like. This is a long term investment as we believe this race will sit in the top bracket of races worldwide and one which the south africans will love. This is a setback, no doubt but if for the longer term benefit to give the athlete what is required no compromises then that is the pain we have to take for now. Yes, we are feeling the pain. We love to go racing aswell! We have not pointed a finger at the City at all and no need to. It has been a complex journey and many lessons learnt, but ultimately will serve to make 2012 the race we definitely all want.