PAINKILLERS FOR IRONMAN

MAVERICK 13

Are you sure your body will be clear, or is that just layman’s logic or hope?

I’m not sure when your goal event ( November?) is taking place but instead of asking hubbers (no offense hubbers) if it’s ok to take xyz pain killer rather go and discuss the issue with a sports Doctor, there is still plenty time to recuperate sufficiently so as not to need painkillers.

As has been mentioned earlier most sports people take pain killers and get away with it, it’s a risk you take and only you can make the decision but when you do make the decision it should be based on reliable information.

IMO from some of your posts my gut feel is you have over done it in training, rotor cuff and itb niggles or injuries are usually a sign of some sort of excessive training overload i.e. to much, to fast, to often….Carry on like this and most likely you will one day be posting about how pissed you are because you cannot swim /run / cycle anymore due to some niggle injury.

Problem is these things are cumulative and don’t always become a problem at the time of overload but often later on i.e. during your taper or the actual event.

Lecture over :P

Cool, I finally found the best solution. I am going to inject EPO directly into my knee and shoulder. Then the evening before the IM I am going to have a "carnivore" evening with meat specially imported from Spain.

Haha no seriously SwissVan I am not that irresponsible. I will see a doctor no doubt. I just wanted to test the feeling on the hub as it is an interesting subject and there are always some slim people hanging around yaaa'll. I have never and will never take any medicine whilst doing an event. The worst was one Argus when an old lady gave me a disprin at the bottom of Chapmans as I started cramnping......

I think it have been a constructive post as many people have read it and maybe some of those have been doing exactly what we have been talking about. Awareness.

On the 2 weeks before subject I wanna ask why not? If I have a bit of inflammation then why not take something for it? Coxflam shouldnt stay in your body for more than 48 hours?

Inflammation is almost like infection. A pill can fix it so why not? Only not on race day. If you have a headache, drink a disprin... tata!

Doctors have given me various voltaren injections at university after rugby games for injured muscles etc. They always said it was good and helped with recovery but just dont have too many and never never take it before a game...... same thing?

During taperaing I plan on giving my body the best chance to recover for the main event. You are right, I have been overdoing it most likely, but you know how it is... the more you train for the IM, the less ready you feel and the more you push.....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What he mentioned was that when you are dehydrated (or getting there...) the worst thing to do was to take something with those combination of active ingredients...it causes permanent kidney damage!

That advice has also been given about ibuprofen, one of the three active ingredients in Myprodol. I just suspect the reason overseas doctors don't prescribe it for other things is lack of availability.

Random fact: Boots pharmacy in the UK sells codeine phosphate-paracetamol pills, codeine phosphate-ibuprofen pills, codeine phosphate-aspirin pills and codeine phosphate-paracetamol-caffeine pills, but no codeine phosphate-paracetamol-ibuprofen pills.

I have been overdoing it most likely, but you know how it is... the more you train for the IM, the less ready you feel and the more you push.....

Yeah been down that road, and even now at the tender age of 47 and after + 20 years of endurance sports it's still hard to resist that urge to do just a little more....

See rule#2 in my signature, sums it up i think?

Good luck and let us know what the docs says about slukking the anti inflammatories

The greatest mystery of them all...... Everyone knows it is always better to start slow and end fast. This way normally only the last little bit of the race hurts and the rest is actually quite good fun. However, starting like a bat out of hell meanse that 70% of the race is just pain all the way, yet we keep on doing it. Why??

Firstly be carefull of stomach issues when using any painkiller.

Aspirin is known to cause a thermoregulation effect, means ur body overheats/dehydration and you wont know it.

Iboprufen and Advil can cause renal failure, but they seem to be the preferred weapon of choice with a lot of guys.

If ur taking the stuff once off to mask the pain that you go thru...it's up to u.

But if you take it regularly for something specific like tendinitis etc ur just gonna mess it up further.

The greatest mystery of them all...... Everyone knows it is always better to start slow and end fast. This way normally only the last little bit of the race hurts and the rest is actually quite good fun. However, starting like a bat out of hell meanse that 70% of the race is just pain all the way, yet we keep on doing it. Why??

Peer pressure , it’s that race face we all get. or maybe it’s man ever lasting will not to be left behind in life.The trick is to learn to pace yourself (oh and when you find the trick , let us know ) .

Edited by Iron

Firstly be carefull of stomach issues when using any painkiller.

Aspirin is known to cause a thermoregulation effect, means ur body overheats/dehydration and you wont know it.

Iboprufen and Advil can cause renal failure, but they seem to be the preferred weapon of choice with a lot of guys.

If ur taking the stuff once off to mask the pain that you go thru...it's up to u.

But if you take it regularly for something specific like tendinitis etc ur just gonna mess it up further.

1. Coxflam is a different kind of anit inflammatory as far as I know and does not mess upm your kidneys (or this I was told) - stay away from Brufen

2. There is nothing wrong in taking anti flammatory medicine for inflamation. Just dont take it when training as far as I am concerned.

This is not to cheat on race day or make the pain away.

When you have flu, take something to help cure it. Dont train whilst you have flu, but you are allowed to take antibiotics or other medicine to help while you are sick.

It is the same principle.

Why can you take pills 2 weeks before the race when you taper in any case to try and reduce the inflamation? It can surely only help the cause?

Is there a docter in the house?