Cracked frame - how safe is this?

maddox

Alu is a better frame material than steel imo.

Steel has some nostalgic value, and there are some beautiful steel frames (like Pergoretti) but:

It rusts, offers no stiffness/mass advantage over alu, and is more expensive. Imo fatigue life of a steel frame is not an advantage, a well designed alu frame will last a very long time.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First you gotta ride the classics you got before getting more tjop ;)

Ride? What is this ride thing you mumble on about?

Getting more sounds like a good thing to consider....

First you gotta ride the classics you got before getting more tjop ;)

Ride? What is this ride thing you mumble on about?

10km run this morning, oom. I are prepping for the argust now.

Edited by TNT1

10km run this morning, oom. I are prepping for the argust now.

Of what use is this 'run' thing for cyclists? Might as well have stayed in bed or gone to MacDonalds for breakfast, has the same effect :angry: - I'm not gonna be discussing this again :thumbdown:

Yip ,we are the only country in the world who has an August in March.

Ah, right. Will 10km running once a week get me a sub three?

I'm not gonna be discussing this again :thumbdown:

I wont share my post exercise recovery meal secrets with you any-more...

I wont share my post exercise recovery meal secrets with you any-more...

So it's gonna be like that then :whistling:

*luckily made a note of the russian (sausage not bride)/chips recovery combo*

I have been cycling since 1990 and my first real bike was a Hansom bike with SLX tubing- It is still hanging in my garage !

After that I bought the love of my life- A Victoria titanium frame in 1999. One of the Pro teams actually raced on them as well. This frame has consumed its third set of STI'S and the frame is still as stiff and beautiful as the day that I bought it.

From what I have heard these frames were manufactured in Russia after they stopped using Titanium to manufacture aeroplanes. I have tried to find out more about the company, but no luck. Any other guys out there still riding these beauties ?

In 2001 I worked in Canada for a year and bought a local Ti -frame which I put onto a turbo trainer- That frame cracked on exactly the same spot as TNT'S frame.

I think Titanium does not do well with the torsional forces that it experiences with trainers

:D

Stress in the frame on most trainers are less than on the road.

I don't agree- A bike is not built to handle torsional stress, but more longitudinal and vertical forces. I may be wrong, but I am sure there are plenty tech geeks out there to help us out :rolleyes:

I have been cycling since 1990 and my first real bike was a Hansom bike with SLX tubing

You forgot to mention that it was Columbus SLX, and it sits just behind Reynolds 531, neither of them the best that was available.

You forgot to mention that it was Columbus SLX, and it sits just behind Reynolds 531, neither of them the best that was available.

If you are as old as I am you just call it SLX :D