Cracked frame - how safe is this?

maddox

Mr Bornman, I accept what you say with regard to Titanium, and looking at my cracked Litespeed I can see exactly what you said as it happened on my frame.

Now, I see there are some manufacturers out there that build Titanium bikes, where the main 3 tubes (top, down and seat) are made from Titanium, yet the lugs, stays and head tube are all carbon. Would that make any difference? Sure, its not exactly a Ti frame, but there are no complicated welds, just tubes plugged into carbon lugs.

Your opinion please?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Bornman, I accept what you say with regard to Titanium, and looking at my cracked Litespeed I can see exactly what you said as it happened on my frame.

Now, I see there are some manufacturers out there that build Titanium bikes, where the main 3 tubes (top, down and seat) are made from Titanium, yet the lugs, stays and head tube are all carbon. Would that make any difference? Sure, its not exactly a Ti frame, but there are no complicated welds, just tubes plugged into carbon lugs.

Your opinion please?

Carbon in a bicycle application is lighter than titanium and since people nowadays shop with a scale, manufacturers want to offer a product that competes gram-wise, yet still offer the allure of titanium. Sructurally I don't think such a bike is any better or worse than a full-ti bike. The joints where carbon meets ti introduce their own problems.

Having said that, one of the most beautiful bikes I ever saw was a Merlin made from ti lugs and carbon tubes.

Carbon in a bicycle application is lighter than titanium and since people nowadays shop with a scale *snip*

And some even go shoe-shopping with a Vernier… <_<

I guess Ti is an inappropriate material for watch casings then. ;-)

I can't agree more with you signature.

Exactly what I was trying to say.

My signature is quite apt. Want to have bumper stickers printed that says that.

So...what about steel. Seems to be well represented in Europe and some beautiful frames on offer but you hardly see it in South Africa?

Mr Bornman - Johan - (and the rest of the peanut gallery) your thoughts please.

So...what about steel. Seems to be well represented in Europe and some beautiful frames on offer but you hardly see it in South Africa?

It rocks. :thumbup:

(and the rest of the peanut gallery) your thoughts please.

Do you really think you deserve a response with that amount of respect you show ?

Mr Bornman - Johan - (and the rest of the peanut gallery) your thoughts please.

Steel works for me. Importing a steel frame is easy enough.

Steel works for me. Importing a steel frame is easy enough.

First you gotta ride the classics you got before getting more tjop ;)