Cracked frame - how safe is this?

maddox

This could have occurred if there were underlying cracks in the tube material before it was bent into the shape required for the frame i.e. material defects. Good news is that it can be repaired. There is a company in Kempton Park, Johannesburg who do very neat Titanium welding. The weld could then be smoothed over and you wont even notice the difference. Maybe look at that option.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This metal is grossly inappropriate for bicycles.

Titanium is a great material for use in high temperature areas - it has a melting point of 1600 deg C. It works well in some corrosive environments - good for the inside of a jet engine.

I don't see the point of making bicycle frames from Ti, however, so +1 on JB's comment. For the same stiffness it is not much lighter than aluminium, and it is on a material data sheet carbon/epoxy beats it hands down in terms of stength, mass, stiffness, fatigue.

Titanium is a great material for use in high temperature areas - it has a melting point of 1600 deg C. It works well in some corrosive environments - good for the inside of a jet engine.

I don't see the point of making bicycle frames from Ti, however, so +1 on JB's comment. For the same stiffness it is not much lighter than aluminium, and it is on a material data sheet carbon/epoxy beats it hands down in terms of stength, mass, stiffness, fatigue.

Thanks Christie.

I may have added that it is an appropriate material where large, lightweight forging are required, such as large housings of jet engines (high temp apps as Christie says) or jet liner landing gear. The only other material strong enough here is steel, but for that size, you can save a couple of tons by using titanium. It pays for itself eventuallu since the aircraft pays you back for weight saved by reducing fuel consumption. Commercial liners do many hundreds of thousands of take-offs and landings, all paying back big-time in fuel bills over the years.

This could have occurred if there were underlying cracks in the tube material before it was bent into the shape required for the frame i.e. material defects. Good news is that it can be repaired. There is a company in Kempton Park, Johannesburg who do very neat Titanium welding. The weld could then be smoothed over and you wont even notice the difference. Maybe look at that option.

Hmmmm. Underlying cracks as in existing cracks or underlying cracks such as latent crack paths?

I doubt this frame had a crack in when it left the factory. It merely had the right metallic structure and right shape for the crack to propagate along a pre-determined path.

In other words, these cracks develop as the bike is used.

Contact Litespeed in the US and ask them. They will tell you to seize any riding as they don't want to be suede if it does break.

:blink: Dude ! ?

If spell check don't pick it up, it's correct.

Yes: You have spelled seize correctly, as you have suede.

Carpe diem, in your suede suit.

Now...back to the topic.

There was a very lengthy thread some time back about Litespeed, their tendency to crack and their inability to honour their warranty obligations.

Uh, yes, except that was not a crack in that instance.

It was a purpose distortion, that some turkey had tried to 'fix', before taking it up with Litespeed!

Dude. To answer your question.

It will eventually fail. Somewhere. Very usually "OUT THERE" and you gonna have to WALK home.

Litespeed, like Lynskey, and some decent American hand manufacturers work with Ti and 'know' it, but as Johan says, in order to get it 'lighter' they work thinner.

Leading to problems.

It also depends WHERE these frames are now being manufactured. It is not a material weldable by rookies.

I do agree with Johan that it is not the ideal material, but done right it works, and it has a 'fringe element' edge to it that goes well with SS and other anti-establishment genres.

Here is one piece of advice thought: DO NOT undertake to 'repair' it yourself BEFORE taking it up with LITESPEED.

You do, and I was Litespeed, I would tell you to enjoy your life...bye-bye.

Sorry for your loss. Stick with ali. Forget Carbone`!

Edited by The Drongo

snip

JB, is it not possible for the guy to drill a small hole either side of the crack to prevent it from spreading further and then just have the crack and holes welded up? A lot easier that way if you ask me.

I'll be keeping the old frame for the indoor trainer (which I wouldn't be surprised is what caused the crack in the first place).

Titanium may be "fringe" but I like it - and thats all that matters! If I wanted to ride a Toyota of bikes I would have gone with a Giant!

I rode the new bike this morning and its great - even had some of my carbon only mates looking in envy!

thanks for all the comments.

I'll be keeping the old frame for the indoor trainer (which I wouldn't be surprised is what caused the crack in the first place).

Titanium may be "fringe" but I like it - and thats all that matters! If I wanted to ride a Toyota of bikes I would have gone with a Giant!

I rode the new bike this morning and its great - even had some of my carbon only mates looking in envy!

You like insulting Toyota dont you! You deserve your crack!

Fringe is good. Are you telling us you got a new Ti frame, or just bought a new Bike.

As I always say - Giant, The T Landcruiser of MTB. :thumbup:

You like insulting Toyota dont you! You deserve your crack!

Relax Oom. Not sure he was being Insulting !

Ride the damn thing. That crack is longitudinal and follows an obvious seam in the tube. It will only go forward and backward and won't change direction.

If you are really worried, put a hose clamp on each and of the crack and monitor whether it travels further.

You are in no immiment danger. I'd still do the DC on it and then brag about it afterwards.

A titanium bike without a crack or imminent crack isn't made from titanium. This metal is grossly inappropriate for bicycles.

You quite obviously have no clue what you are talking about.