• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do feel free to elaborate.

Gladly :)

Bornman writes in 2 of his replies the following:

"It [titanium] is a totally inappropriate material for bicycles".

The reason why this is so, is, inter alia, that

> it more difficult (read expensive) to manufacture than either steel or aluminium

> to make a very light strong titanium frame is is very, very difficult

> the [titanium] frame heavier than an equally-strong aluminium one

> to "make" titanium requires a huge amount of energy, many times that required to obtain steel or even aluminium; this makes it expensive and gives it in modern parlance, a high carbon footprint

> process of welding, bending, milling, mitering and forming.... is easy with aluminium, difficult with titanium ...difficult and expensive

> an alu frame can be made lighter, stronger, more durable and much much cheaper than a titanium frame.

Bornman concedes that

"Since titanium is twice as hard as aluminium, some parts can successfully be made from it. Bolts - sprockets etc. Insofar its use in bolts goes, it is a poor substitute for steel. In that application it only saves half the weight of the bolt, but bolts weigh nothing to start off with, looking at the overall bike." [my emphasis]

For many thousands of bicycle owners, it is important to save weight in the built of the machine. Yes, even a single gram will count :D and if 70g can be saved by using titanium bolts instead of steel, bolts do NOT weigh "nothing to start off with", even looking at the over-all bike ...

But does that make titanium a totally inappropriate material for bicycles?

I think not. Surely, titanium cracks and breaks. We read about that in magazines and on The Hub. But so does carbon and aluminum. We have seen evidence of this in the same magazines and here on The Hub.

Bornman is rather vociferous about the cost of titanium; in no less that 4 lines does he mention that it is expensive. That is true, but it is also true that decent carbon frame costs as much as a decent titanium frame.

I have ridden titanium frames for a long, long time - on the road and in the mountains - and I have yet to suffer from a crack or any other breakdown.

I admit that titanium has its deficiencies, but to conclude that it is an inappropriate material for bicycles, is a little stupid.

JB makes perfect sense to me. Your forum name gives away your bias. You have probably spent a small fortne on a Ti bike and hate anyone dissing it. Who makes Ti bikes these days?

.....Your forum name gives away your bias.......

Following the discussion with interst and not taking sides.....

.......but couldn't help noticing the irony of someone with a name like Headshot reading so much into the name Tiguy! :D Come on, tell us about the meaning of Headshot, please.

The first thing I always hear when people talk about titanium frames is that when you buy this (titanium) frame its for life, BS, first this is not the first time that I hear of a cracked ti frame, and second why do you have to pay for a replacement even though its at a 60% discount.

JB makes perfect sense to me. Your forum name gives away your bias. You have probably spent a small fortne on a Ti bike and hate anyone dissing it. Who makes Ti bikes these days?

No bias at all. I'm not sure what you mean by a small "fortne"?? Maybe a small fortune? If that is indeed what you meant, the answer is "no", I did not spend a small fortne [sic] on a titanium bike. And secondly, I do not hate anyone. Period.

As to your other question re "who makes Ti bikes these days", maybe you should read Borman's letter before you invest a small fortne sic] in a ti bike. As he points out, titanium is expensive... But if you are looking to buy one, just Google "titanium bicycle frames"<_<

Poor Andre, they will hang him for this! :lol:

Ai dude when the language police get here they gonna 'persuede' you to go and correct that ;)

The first thing I always hear when people talk about titanium frames is that when you buy this (titanium) frame its for life, BS, first this is not the first time that I hear of a cracked ti frame, and second why do you have to pay for a replacement even though its at a 60% discount.

To be fair to Litespeed, they did offer to repair the frame under warranty - free of charge. The only condition is that the owner has to pay the shipping. And, as I pointed out in an earlier post, it is true that titanium cracks, but so does carbon and aluminum.

It agree with you on your first point. It is silly to think that buying a titanium frame is buying a frame for life. That would be soooooo boring to ride the same frame for the rest of one's life. It's like driving the same car, sporting the same hairstyle or haircut or dating the same guy or girl for the rest of your life. Naaaaah, variety rules and if you do get the opportunity ride a titanium frame just once in your life and do not like it, ditch it for a different material.