Amashova flop

Ringking

Hi Everyone,

I just thought to exprss my disgust at this years Amashova and wanted some feedback with what the general feel out there is?

Up until now I have rated Amashova as one of SAs' best races but after my experience this year I am left wandering.

First of all it costs a fair amount to get there and back(which is not the complaint)but it is also a fairly steep entry price. Now on arrival at the MMS I was looking forward to walking through the expo only to find out that there was no expo.

Then on collection of my race number I found out that there was no goody bag. As trivial as that sounds I am sure everyone doing races across the country has become accustomed to a small treat that awaits them on collection of their race numbers? We even skipped the option to have our race numbers couriered to us in order that we could attend the expo. If we had known this we would have saved ourselves the extra night accomodation, had the numbers couriered and only travelled down on the saturday.

If this race is to attract the numbers that Argus and 94.7 enjoy then surely these are contributing factors?

I am pretty sure there are other opinions out there so please let's have them as I would like to know the general feel considering Amashova organisers have recently sent out a request to participate in a satisfaction survey.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went for the courier option to save a 200km+ return trip just to collect a piece of paper, the registration issue at these rides just gets on my tits, and besides the 'Expo' last year was basically non-existent too. I do agree that the entry is rather high but the value of riding on some great roads with road closure is worth it in my book...

Lacking a major sponsor also doesn't help.:blink:

Am doing my first 94.7 this year so can't compare, but have done 2 xArgus and they have been top class.

Just got an SMS that says:

"Dear Amashova cyclist, how did you enjoy this years Amashova? Give us your feedback by dialing *120*74682# for our mobile survey."

Dude, the sponsor pulled out late and they couldn't organize another one.

I'm sure you'd be fine without the goody bag and to be honest, you can't blame them that you didn't check to see if there was an expo.

I think the only valid point you have is the extra nights accom. fees but that could have been avoided if you had checked their dates.

If we rate races on goody bags and expo's, then perhaps we're missing the point!

i have no recollection of the race organisers promising an expo, though they can prove to be fun! I must admit that I do enjoy the expo at the 94.7. Do we really need another at the Shova?

Good bags, no matter how weak, really get our juices going, but I imagine that in the current economic climate sponsors are not lining up to fill goody bags with useless oddments.

Special mention needs be made of the exciting lucky draw held after the race - incl in the draw were 4x Giant TCR bicycles............sweet!

I would rate the Shova as a raging success and the no's that took to the road, despite the poor weather conditions, bare testimony to that.

Woza Shova 2012......

No goodie bag ohmy.gif

Seriously I don't know what you goodie bag fans are missing specifically, but I don't particularly enjoy the Argus experience - you cannot leave the 'expo' without trudging for 10km through the good hope centre cash-extracting funnel which is carefully designed to fleece as much loot as possible from the entrants.

Goodie bags remind me of those lucky packets you used to get at Santa's Grotto with the disgusting pink musk sweets in them. Maybe Bellairs can dress up like Father Christmas and raise a bit more cash charging the die-hards 50 bucks extra to sit on his knee whilst he hands them their bag of tat.

No goodie bag ohmy.gif

Seriously I don't know what you goodie bag fans are missing specifically, but I don't particularly enjoy the Argus experience - you cannot leave the 'expo' without trudging for 10km through the good hope centre cash-extracting funnel which is carefully designed to fleece as much loot as possible from the entrants.

Goodie bags remind me of those lucky packets you used to get at Santa's Grotto with the disgusting pink musk sweets in them. Maybe Bellairs can dress up like Father Christmas and raise a bit more cash charging the die-hards 50 bucks extra to sit on his knee whilst he hands them their bag of tat.

LOL!

look, Doreen, my manageress of home affairs, will through a riot if i arrive home from number collection witout a goodie bag to top up her supplies of useless sun caps, bubblebath, massage oils and soaps, plus the occasional treat of chocalate, energy bar (gets the ironing done in half the time yeh) etc, so no goodie bag and i have issues

I've stopped expecting much from goodie bags these days, so not getting one is not a major disappointment for me.

I was, however, disappointed in the complete absence of any food at the water points when I got to them (and which was promised in the race brochure).

look, Doreen, my manageress of home affairs, will through a riot if i arrive home from number collection witout a goodie bag to top up her supplies of useless sun caps, bubblebath, massage oils and soaps, plus the occasional treat of chocalate, energy bar (gets the ironing done in half the time yeh) etc, so no goodie bag and i have issues

...and the water bottles for hydration (whilst ironing) and anti-chafe cream and deep-heat/arnica for after...perfect :unsure:

...and the water bottles for hydration (whilst ironing) and anti-chafe cream and deep-heat/arnica for after...perfect :unsure:

he he yes i actually had to send her to the doc today coz she stretched a shoulder muscle doing who knows what! so the massage oil comes in good now next thing she will ask for a massage therapist to apply :)

Great post, tjokkits! :lol:

Yah, it doesn't matter what is IN the goodie bag.

It's kinda free and that is cool...

We should have gotten free rain ponchos and wellies for that ride!

To be honest, if the "goodie bags" were of the standard they used to be say 5/6 years back then yes, id say gimme! but really, how many mini soaps and baby packets of muesli do you need?

i say spend the money on marshalls and road closures instead.

I was, however, disappointed in the complete absence of any food at the water points when I got to them (and which was promised in the race brochure).

agreed, in fact my race suffered as i had planned on consuming the food on route and only took a couple of gels and a bar for in between or emergencies. (lesson learned) At the stop manned by the school kids, the children manning the station were drinking the isontonic drinks and eating the sandwiches. I don't begrudge them the food but it was their for the riders that day

+ when i got to the finish at 6:30 odd hours of riding and misery, cramping up for the last 10km's, the voltarin tent seemed like the closest thing to heaven, only to be told they were closing at 2. Apparently they were their to massage the well toned tushies of you a - cl / pro riders after your 3 hour ride and screw the first timers who needed them at the end. big let down. I'll not buy their stuff on principle now, take that voltarin elitists.

Can skip the goodie bag as well, the folks were helpful and organized a swap for my brother to ride in my wife's spot without any hassle

the flag bearers were a little distracted through out the ride but kept the traffic out and marshaling was good from what I saw of it

I lost 45 minutes right out of Pietermaritzburg waiting for a repair on a sliced tire. The wait was a bit long but the cut was just bad luck.

will i be back? pain, horrible train tour and nightmares of botha's hill prevent any such decision right now