Amashova flop

Ringking

http://images.travelpod.com/users/tofor85/2.1278160496.polokwane-stadium.jpg

POLOKWANE

http://www.south-africa-tours-and-travel.com/images/City-of-Durban-in-KwaZulu-Natal.jpg

DURBAN

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree it was a flop , not because of the goodie bag issue , At the start the Marshals ran around like shepards chasing sheep in a kraal , Come on Guys this is KZN S premier cycling event ,MAKE IT ATTRACTIVE !! I agree there is nothing in a goodie bag that You can use ! But one issue that is realy hard to swallow is that 90% of the major road running events the organisers include T-SHIRTS in Your racepack , and the entry fee for these events are much cheaper than most of the cycling races , I will not enter for this event in 2012 because the entry fee is very high , Look it is full road closure but It is still to much money for what You get , include at least a cap or a pair off socks , Not even to mention a T-SHIRT ,

POLOKWANE

http://www.south-africa-tours-and-travel.com/images/City-of-Durban-in-KwaZulu-Natal.jpg

DURBAN

Amapolokwane just does not have the same ring to it.

In addition to the fact that the race entry barely covers the cost of the event these are some of the projects that are funded by amashova,

it means more than just a d....mn tee shirt and a goodie bag, good luck with your running!!

The event has built a Road Safety Bike Park at Ethembeni School in Inchanga where groups of school children learn the rules of the road using a specially designed track and bicycles. This is run in conjunction with the DOT programme for introducing road safety to learners at schools in Pietermaritzburg and Durban areas

•Many local companies and organisations are employed to carry out related services, most of these are given to PDIs and non-profit organisations.

•Children from the Future Leaders initiative (run by the Durban Chamber of Commerce) pack the race packs and run registration prior to race day.

•Service organisations such as Rotary assist with route management enabling them to earn much-needed funds for their projects.

•The Amashova funds a cycle club in conjunction with the KZN Cycling Union’s Development Programme at the Cycle Stadium in Durban for previously disadvantaged children to take on cycling competitively.

•The Uthombo Street Children Project will be included in the development plans for Cycling KZN and funded by Amashova

•The Amashova contributes to the development school teachers from the townships and pays for them to attend officials and team managers courses run by CSA in an effort to promote safe cycling in schools in the Province

•The Amashova team works closely with the City of Durban in promoting safe cycling and developing cycling tracks in and around the city

I'll hopefully be back next year, need to beat my 2010 time.

This year I was a little slower due to the rain :blush: :blush:

Shaune

Easy dude. Nobody knows about those charities when they chip 295 bucks for the entry fee. You obviously are privy to the initiatives, and they all sound great, but the avg entrant isn't. So to some of us the entry fee doesn't seem justified, and we might not come back to do the event. To some of us it does offer value and we will be back. Each entitled their own perception of value.

Maybe marketing at entry point saying x rand of your entry fee goes to these charities would be nice. :)

Edited by Benjamin

Not privy to any inside information, its all on the website.

Shaune

Easy dude. Nobody knows about those charities when they chip 295 bucks for the entry fee. You obviously are privy to the initiatives, and they all sound great, but the avg entrant isn't. So to some of us the entry fee doesn't seem justified, and we might not come back to do the event. To some of us it does offer value and we will be back. Each entitled their own perception of value.

Maybe marketing at entry point saying x rand of your entry fee goes to these charities would be nice. :)

In addition to the fact that the race entry barely covers the cost of the event these are some of the projects that are funded by amashova,

it means more than just a d....mn tee shirt and a goodie bag, good luck with your running!!

The event has built a Road Safety Bike Park at Ethembeni School in Inchanga where groups of school children learn the rules of the road using a specially designed track and bicycles. This is run in conjunction with the DOT programme for introducing road safety to learners at schools in Pietermaritzburg and Durban areas

•Many local companies and organisations are employed to carry out related services, most of these are given to PDIs and non-profit organisations.

•Children from the Future Leaders initiative (run by the Durban Chamber of Commerce) pack the race packs and run registration prior to race day.

•Service organisations such as Rotary assist with route management enabling them to earn much-needed funds for their projects.

•The Amashova funds a cycle club in conjunction with the KZN Cycling Union’s Development Programme at the Cycle Stadium in Durban for previously disadvantaged children to take on cycling competitively.

•The Uthombo Street Children Project will be included in the development plans for Cycling KZN and funded by Amashova

•The Amashova contributes to the development school teachers from the townships and pays for them to attend officials and team managers courses run by CSA in an effort to promote safe cycling in schools in the Province

The Amashova team works closely with the City of Durban in promoting safe cycling and developing cycling tracks in and around the city

The Amashova team works closely with the City of Durban in promoting safe cycling and developing cycling tracks in and around the city[/i][/b]

Can't honestly say that I know of one safe cycling route that has been developed for cyclists to use. There is the dedicated cycle (certain hours only) lane around NMR ave but I wouldn't say it's safe since there have been a least a couple cyclists killed there in recent years. So one does have to wander if any of the other stuff happens too.

Personally I am quite happy with there being no expo and goodie bag although the socks issued by MTN (when they sponsored the event) over the last few years were better than all the typical samples and the best thing is COMPLETE ROAD CLOSURE.

Edited by ricochet_rabbit

Not privy to any inside information, its all on the website.

Weird. I listened to the founder of pinkdrive on the radio a few days before the amashova, and she didn't mention the race once - even when asked where they get funding from.

Why I say it's weird, is our race is one of the major funders of the RP Foundation, and they promotes the race as it gets them more money, any chance they get. Especially in the weeks leading up to the event.

POLOKWANE

DURBAN

Now show a picture of what Durban main beach looks like Xmas day or New Years day

To help you out

http://www.globalpolitician.com/25471-durban-south-africa

Edited by scotty

The hub is doing a fun ride on the 16th of Dec for charity.

maybe you guys want to join in ?

shaune, will you be at the event ?

or a Pic of Durban that was NOT taken in the 70/80's.... show one from two months ago......

The hub is doing a fun ride on the 16th of Dec for charity.

maybe you guys want to join in ?

shaune, will you be at the event ?

:thumbup:

Now show a picture of what Durban main beach looks like Xmas day or New Years day

To help you out

http://www.globalpolitician.com/25471-durban-south-africa

what a load of bullsh*t. I'm at the beachfront almost every weekend and at least once during the week. Last December I took some tourists from the Roma Revolving Restaurant to their hotel on the beachfront and it was a nice enough night that we walked most of the way. There's a constant police presence and the lighting is excellent.

this "snowy smith" who wrote this trash is a pr*ck who doesn't supply one reference to back up his claims, not even a photo. what a dick.

Durban is still one of the best places to visit and have fun. And New Year's eve friggin' rocks in Durban.

Edited by EigerSA

what a load of bullsh*t. I'm at the beachfront almost every weekend and at least once during the week. Last December I took some tourists from the Roma Revolving Restaurant to their hotel on the beachfront and it was a nice enough night that we walked most of the way. There's a constant police presence and the lighting is excellent.

this "snowy smith" who wrote this trash is a pr*ck who doesn't supply one reference to back up his claims, not even a photo. what a dick.

Durban is still one of the best places to visit and have fun. And New Year's eve friggin' rocks in Durban.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: