Amashova flop

Ringking

That letter was written in 2008/9. Since then the entire beachfront area been overhauled, in line with world cup upgrades. Paved clean area stretches all the way from Moses Mabhida to Ushaka and it's really world class. Any day of the week, you'll find runners walkers bikers pram pushers rollerbladers skateboarders surfskaters cruising up and down, then stopping for a coffee. Granted not on new years day or boxing day, but any other day.

Something special about riding loops along the beachfornt or running as the sun comes up over the sea.

Next time you in Durbs, pm one of us and well take you along.

If you can surfskete, even better. Been riding my sons surfskate at the beach recently and it's sweet. We missed out on those things as lighties. Had a few kids suggest to me that those aren't for old people .

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what a load of bullsh*t. I'm at the beachfront almost every weekend and at least once during the week. Last December I took some tourists from the Roma Revolving Restaurant to their hotel on the beachfront and it was a nice enough night that we walked most of the way. There's a constant police presence and the lighting is excellent.

this "snowy smith" who wrote this trash is a pr*ck who doesn't supply one reference to back up his claims, not even a photo. what a dick.

Durban is still one of the best places to visit and have fun. And New Year's eve friggin' rocks in Durban.

And here ??

http://deathofdurban.blogspot.com/2009/05/durban-is-now-filthy-dirty-squatter_12.html

The point is you can find something bad about where ever you stay, not taking a tourist postcard picture and comparing it to a bland picture of elsewhere. Guaranteed if you do a search you will find much better pictures of Polokwane.

what a load of bullsh*t. I'm at the beachfront almost every weekend and at least once during the week.

to his defense - he probably got to the highway by going down umgeni past the station to the new interchange - which is not the greatest advert for durban - but still on a par with any downtown south african city.

anyway, its not many places where you can leave your keys with the car gaurd - go for a surf/run/ride and then have a mega breakfast at the lifesaving club, whilst taking in the sea sun and beauties :thumbup:

That letter was written in 2008/9. Since then the entire beachfront area been overhauled, in line with world cup upgrades. Paved clean area stretches all the way from Moses Mabhida to Ushaka and it's really world class. Any day of the week, you'll find runners walkers bikers pram pushers rollerbladers skateboarders surfskaters cruising up and down, then stopping for a coffee. Granted not on new years day or boxing day, but any other day.

Something special about riding loops along the beachfornt or running as the sun comes up over the sea.

Next time you in Durbs, pm one of us and well take you along.

If you can surfskete, even better. Been riding my sons surfskate at the beach recently and it's sweet. We missed out on those things as lighties. Had a few kids suggest to me that those aren't for old people .

This is the same at any beach in SA on those days, cleanse the sins by having a dip. The beachfront will be even better when we can cycle from uShaka to Umhlanga on our new cycle paths, bliss.

where is the event

The hub is doing a fun ride on the 16th of Dec for charity.

maybe you guys want to join in ?

shaune, will you be at the event ?

I think Durban is like any other city. There are good times and bad times. You just need to know when to be there and when to stay home. Any day during a normal week/weekend early in the morning is awesome. As the day goes on, the awesomeness drops off a bit... I agree that Christmas day and boxing day are probably not a good time to be there if you have an aversion to crowds and I haven't been there on New Year's eve/day so I can't comment.

We often load the bikes and go for a ride from Suncoast or MM to Ushaka and back and stop at Wimpy for breakfast or a coffee. I have yet to have a bad experience.

Where Shaun Pollock was born.

wrong :thumbdown:

Born July 16, 1973, Port Elizabeth, Cape Province where his father and uncle were playing cricket for Eastern Province

i dont know - i kind of agree with the op. That said I am not familiar with road events so i dont know the cost involved in full road closure etc. I do also understand that MTN pulled out at the last minute (bastards!) and that will always have an impact.

But..... us knobbley tired people are accustomed to getting a nice shirt or at the very least a cap. If you were to make a comparison between hill2hill and the shova - both 100 odd k's. h2h is R250 entry compared to R320. With that we got 5 tables fully stocked with grub and ice cold everything. at the entry we got expo plus eateries plus beer garden. In the goodie bag we got the standard deo, soap, water,sweets,nutrilife, plus we got a nice jeep t-shirt.

so - obviously a main sponsor makes a big deal - but in that comparison h2h offers Way more bang for buck

Here is a response from MTN (RE pulling out at the last minute)

MTN's contract was up for renewal after the race last year and based on the new revised proposal (with serious escalations) MTN received from the organisers, we decided not to renew. The organisers were aware of this from January this year when we met with them directly in Durban so it was definitely not a last minute thing to pull out.

wow this was a lot of complaining i just read. It's about the RIDE friends, the RIDE!!! Goodie bags, food at waterpoints, massages and all of the mentioned stuff are "nice to have's" but they're not what you should be raving / complaining about. How was the route? How was the weather? How did you ride? Aren't these the things that make us go back next time?

food at waterpoints

When the brochure promises that there will be food and you plan accordingly, the ride and enjoying of the ride and the route can be significantly affected by the lack of it. I'd hardly say it was a 'nice-to-have' in this case.

What I could not understand was why we should drive to the stadium to collect a piece of paper that they could have posted to use? Apparently some people paid for theirs to be posted as some ridiculous price.

Besides that I think the ride itself was OK-ish considering the rain.

What I could not understand was why we should drive to the stadium to collect a piece of paper that they could have posted to use? Apparently some people paid for theirs to be posted as some ridiculous price.

Besides that I think the ride itself was OK-ish considering the rain.

I'm not sure about the Shova, but most other races will courier the number for around R70. If you look at Speed Services to-door service cost, this is quite a reasonable amount.

Can you imagine the hassles there'd be with late numbers, non-delivered numbers etc. if they sent them via normal post (especially for races where the seedings come out less than two weeks before race day).

I'm not sure about the Shova, but most other races will courier the number for around R70.

Shova charged only R65 and you could include up to 5 numbers for the same price. I think that is a bargain.