[Event] 24 Hours Of Oak Valley

Dirtopia MTB Events

NOTE TO MYSELF: this is oak valley not oak lane cottages. Was trying to visualise the route at lebanon.

I am seriously keen to do this. (with a team) Have loads of night riding experience and lighting so keen to put something together.(4 man team)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Winning Teams should be very interesting 2012. The past 2 years the Paul Roos Team won, but they have now, for 2012, Split it in a Paul Roos and PRG Old Boys Team, both very strong teams.

Entry in - can't wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

So I understand that this year the route is longer and a little more techy with a stiff little climb included with the boring long climb at the start being omitted.

Advice from a rider was bring your 32x21 setup for a 29'er SS ....

I'll have my 22 x 34 setup on my 3x9 rig :) SS around here = serious kudos.

so you are confirming that the new route will have a little sting in the tail RE some of the climbs?

I can't wait for this event!

Gonna be my last race/ride in SA as my wife and I are moving to the UK for several years.

If I'm not mistaken, this is going to be somewhat tougher and possibly more technical than last year. Looking at the link posted by Tomik, seems like we're heading to the top of the Red Route? Sweet flowing single track down from there - could be very interesting at night!

Last year was 9km and 95m climbing. This year 11km and 250m climbing. eek.gif

Sounds a bit dof to me as the total number of laps for each rider/team will drop drastically, especially for the novice fun teams. I will be doing it solo though, managed 16 laps last year, this year prob only 7-8 laps.

Sounds a bit dof to me as the total number of laps for each rider/team will drop drastically, especially for the novice fun teams. I will be doing it solo though, managed 16 laps last year, this year prob only 7-8 laps.

Our novice fun team of 8 was hoping to each get 4 laps in, including some sleep between midnight and 5 AM, assuming lap times around 30 minutes. Looking at the new distance and profile, lap times will be about 45 - 60 mins on average (correct?). So we'll be lucky to each get in 3 laps each if we go the full 24 hours. Still going to be fun riding, and we're going to be camping with our families.

I am also wondering on why the route change. Many of us would have liked to benchmark against last year's times. I suppose that they need to toughen it up for the race snakes. I think this year the real climbers on the teams will benefit.

Currently I'll be happy with 8 laps (that would equate to the same amount of climbing I did last year on 20 laps)

Our novice fun team of 8 was hoping to each get 4 laps in, including some sleep between midnight and 5 AM, assuming lap times around 30 minutes. Looking at the new distance and profile, lap times will be about 45 - 60 mins on average (correct?). So we'll be lucky to each get in 3 laps each if we go the full 24 hours. Still going to be fun riding, and we're going to be camping with our families.

I also that lap times will increase atleast with 10-15min on average, last years course was very fast. I'm going to try and do 20laps solo, working on 45min a lap, sleeping 00h00 - 5h00.

This event is always fun! :clap:

My Word i cannot Imagine riding the 24hr solo in heat like today. It should be a bit cooler but sheez louise...Good luck guys. Im so unfit after getting married and honeymoon I'll want to burry my bike after this event If I tried.