Packing bike for flying

Active Monkey

Agreed

A cardboard box is fine.TNT1's comment is very true

After a number of trips my sons cardboard box could not be seen anymore there was so much tape.

The Giant boxes seem to be a bit thicker as well.

Giant and Specialized. :thumbup:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done the box route numerous times. Lots and lots of PT, esp getting the bike in a box to and from the airport. A bakkie is a must.

Then I got a bag as a gift and still plenty PT, esp since MTB don’t seem to fit into road bags. Skeptical about the protection of a bag vs a box.

The last 3 odd times that I've flown I've simply wheeled the bike onto the plane. Simply as is. Benefits incl:

1. From what I've seen the guys then treat the bike like a bike (and not the chew toy aforementioned), and the worse that can happen will be damage from dropping the bike over. On a MTB I worry little about damaged pedals/bar ends.

2. Makes transport to/from airport much simpler.

3. They cannot weigh the full bike. My bike normally weighs in between 4-6kgs, when in fact it is 12kg+. This to me makes the biggest difference, they don't nail you for extra baggage as I'm always borderline overweight.

Having said that I always fly Lanseria and I think they handle the baggage a tad bit better there than OR Thambo, and I suspect they’ll give you grief at OR if your bike is not bagged/boxed.

The last 3 odd times that I've flown I've simply wheeled the bike onto the plane. Simply as is. Benefits incl:

1. From what I've seen the guys then treat the bike like a bike (and not the chew toy aforementioned), and the worse that can happen will be damage from dropping the bike over. On a MTB I worry little about damaged pedals/bar ends.

Doesn't it get scratched to **** that way?

I've done the box route numerous times. Lots and lots of PT, esp getting the bike in a box to and from the airport. A bakkie is a must.

Then I got a bag as a gift and still plenty PT, esp since MTB don’t seem to fit into road bags. Skeptical about the protection of a bag vs a box.

2. Makes transport to/from airport much simpler.

3. They cannot weigh the full bike. My bike normally weighs in between 4-6kgs, when in fact it is 12kg+. This to me makes the biggest difference, they don't nail you for extra baggage as I'm always borderline overweight.

Having said that I always fly Lanseria and I think they handle the baggage a tad bit better there than OR Thambo, and I suspect they’ll give you grief at OR if your bike is not bagged/boxed.

Ja, well, Mr Chicken and I had the transport discussion many times. The main difference between us is that he doesn't care about bike scratches in the same way as I do. To put it simply, he doesn't care while I want to scratch my bike myself.

To comment on chicken's comments:

1. Having just wrapped my bike, taken pedals and seat post off and turned the handle bar I was standing at the gate of CPT airport and saw how the packers where pulling my bike across the runway, dropping bags on it and pushing the bike around with their feet. I'd have loved to go down there and do the same to them.

2. I love boxes for their practicallity - the box fits on the back seat of most cars (saying this I've done it with Audi A4's, Golf 3,4, 5 and 6 as well as a Nissan Almera and Mercedes A-Clss). Yes, a complete bike with wheels.

3. SAA transports bikes for free on domestic flights. Using a box you can chuck other stuff in the box as well.

The conclusion is that irrespective of the chosen way of packing the bike you can be lucky or unlucky. Do what you feel more comfortable with, I go the card board box way and will fly up like this to Jozi on Friday. I've never had any issues with this, even on international flights.

Proper bike cases are overprized in my eyes and weigh too much by themselves. Which is a bummer if you are a normal traveller bound to weight limits.

Cheaper bike bags offer less protection than the good cardboard bike box.

Lekker slaap, liefie!

I do a pre-flight on the B737-800 a number of times weekly,I must be honest I see a lot of different goods being loaded...........bags,buggies,wheelchairs,golfbags,pets in there containers(cages)and bicycle and I have never got the impression that the loaders feel nothing with the item they loading(dealing with).............just my observation on what I see.

Nah, not too bad. The MTB is already scratched anyways and if you don't care that much... But the chicken is probably one in a hundred. When you see what fuzz cyclists usually make about their pretty bike the preferred choice would probably be that the bike is in the cockpit behind the pilot.

I do a pre-flight on the B737-800 a number of times weekly,I must be honest I see a lot of different goods being loaded...........bags,buggies,wheelchairs,golfbags,pets in there containers(cages)and bicycle and I have never got the impression that the loaders feel nothing with the item they loading(dealing with).............just my observation on what I see.

You must see very intersting stuff! :lol:

I did an internship with a ground handling company in Belgium once and literally stood next to the planes laughing my ass off about the way the packers handled the luggage without any concerns at all. Very funny.

You must see very intersting stuff! :lol:

I did an internship with a ground handling company in Belgium once and literally stood next to the planes laughing my ass off about the way the packers handled the luggage without any concerns at all. Very funny.

I have seen aircrafts being loaded all over the world,and the AVG(not the isolated case,or shall I say cases)the loaders do take care with visible fragile items.

I'm seeing my industrial design mate tonight, see if we can come up with something. I agree on the cardboard box scenario as well, only had one issue on a plane in a cardboard box, and that was cause I never removed the RD(so more my fault)

Even if its a box with thicker cardboard, and padding already in the box, possibly rubberised around the bottom of the box.

Been there done that. The best and only solution is to get a BikeSafe. Quick and easy to pack, combination locks and much cheaper than fixing your bike or missing a race because your bike cannot be repaired in time

Make sure you have bike insurance. they don't cost the world and most cover the bike while in transit / on airplanes etc. (let me add: if you boxed and padded it correctly)!

Edited by ibruegge

Agreed

A cardboard box is fine.TNT1's comment is very true

After a number of trips my sons cardboard box could not be seen anymore there was so much tape.

The Giant boxes seem to be a bit thicker as well.

We have tried everything, cardboard, nylon bags, even reinforced nylon cases; all useless and the money wasted on repairing precious frames or components would have paid for a BikeSafe in the first place. Still the most affordable case in SA. See www.bikesafe.co.za They deliver anywhere in SA

What did it cost to rent? How do you also go about doing that, I've had a look at their website, Bikesafe and can't find any info on the renting, just the price of a new one @ R2895.

BikeSafe rentals are about R600 per week which usually covers the time you need to go to and return from a race or event

Surely someone on the hub can come up with a bike box that is harder then a cardboard box and a bit more durable, but doesn't cost 4-5K, thats madness. :o

Local is lekker. Get a BikeSafe, SA designed and manufactured and being hardshell, the safest and only way to guarantee your bike is safe