Italian bike with Japanese groupset

Eddie13

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I face the same dilemma with my Merckx, even though the did come with the Japanese groupo (Italian word?). I'll have to live with the shame and embarassment. My theory is that if I rush to the start line at the last minute, and am the last rider out the gate, I should be OK. Unfortunately, I might be the last rider over the finish mats too, but that's hardly unusual.

Well I had the same dilemma - bought a new CIOCC (Italian) Frameset and was trying to decide whether to go Campy or other...... So, due to having to buy new wheels otherwise, I decided to go SRAM Force.

I like my ride looking good, so it was a tough choice. My thought process is - one day when I am big, I will buy a campy groupo and wheelset for my bike.

To answer your question - ride with what you like and are comfortable with. :thumbup:

The rule for an Italian brand frame is as follows:

If you can't afford DI2, it has to have campag.

Shimano Electronic is the only acceptable non campag gruppo allowed on Italian frames.

Got it?

Edited by TNT1

no, must be italian, precisely matched to frameset and wheels by date (year AND month), colour coordinated, white bar tape, shaved legs, arms and chest (for those open jersey mountain climbing days).

do this or take up golf - i have a set of brassies and some chequered plus fours for ya!

I would like to get your guys views on this.

I've always been a cycling traditionalist and a fan of the little unwritten laws of cycling like not riding a non-Italian groupset on an Italian bike. But now I got the opportunity of upgrading my current old Look frame to a new Wilier frame and I've always been using Shimano. I wouldn't mind changing to Campag, but I can't afford a new frame and groupset just now.

What do you other traditionalists think? Should I go for the upgrade or rather look for a different frame?

From Look to Willier....not so sure it's a upgrade ;)

What is the big issue about riding Campag,SRAM or Shimano.Ride what you are happy with and what makes you smile.

I was always under the illusion that in Europe everyone rides Campag with the Italian bikes.

Since living here i have seen more Shimano DA and DI2 than Campag and now Sram Red is starting to be very popular.

Also seen more Scott,Specialized,Trek and Cannondale than the European brands.

Must say that when you see a guy with Campag he is usually dressed in white shoes,white socks,white shorts and white jersey ;) :D

Must say that when you see a guy with Campag he is usually dressed in white shoes,white socks,white shorts and white jersey ;) :D

Paolo Bettini?

By even asking the question you sub-consciously know its wrong. Campy. Keep it real.

DI2. Take a second bond if you have to :thumbup:

Paolo Bettini?

He loved white and the World champ stripes.

Only thing here is if you see a guy in the bunch with the stripes,he might actually have won them at some time.

Only thing here is if you see a guy in the bunch with the stripes,he might actually have won them at some time.

Yeah, must be awesome. :thumbup:

He loved white and the World champ stripes.

I have the stripes on the back of my White SIDI Energy Comp 2's :thumbup: