Smoking and Cycling

Slowbee

Let me chime in here... I used to smoke a pack a day for the last 7 years. Granted it is not like I smoked for 10-20 years like the older chaps here.

Man up and stop smoking... You take your pack and you throw it away. If you really WANT to quit it will be as easy as that.

3 Months clean now

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Smoked for 10 years, started cycling and kept on smoking for 2 months after that. Realised that I had to stop. Champix (it caused a lot of nightmares) and a lot of struggling has kept me clean for 8 months now. Best thing ever.

Hey but they say you've only truly quit after a year, FFS still 4 months to go...

Edited by frederik29er

My problem is I can't do anything in moderation. With me it's all or nothing.

I couldn't smoke say 10 a day, it had to be 2 to 3 packets a day.

I still remember buying my my bike during the week. Had not been on a bike in 20 years. It was susposedly a midlife crisis purchase.

That first Sunday we went off to Hakahana to ride. I remember pulling into the parking area with a smoke in my mouth.

An hour of riding later I did not believe it could be so difficult to breath or cough. At one stage I thought well this is it. I would have even sold my bike on OLX.i made all sorts of promises in those 10 km's.

When we left I remember pulling out the gate and looking down at the box of smokes and covering them with a loose towel. When I looked in the mirror I could swear I was green in colour.

I think I had one smoke on the Monday morning and put it out after 3 puffs. Threw the rest of the packet in the bin and have not thought about it since.

Welcome to the rest of your life. Keep it up!

Well done. I smoke. Not a lot, but I smoke. I should stop, but I don't wanna ;)

i used to say that, been smoke free for just over a year now after smoking 30-40 a day.

everytime i feel like smoking now I just make a quick post on this thread read all the feel good responses and realise why i quit!

anyway - quitting is something only you can decide to do.

• 2 weeks later...

So today, I start the process of quitting smoking. I'm trying out the e-cigarette route, hopefully this time I can knock it on the head once and for all.

Have not had a ciggie as yet today. So the fact I've used the e-ciggie a few times must surely be better then having had at least 2 cigarettes this morning? I've only had about 5 drags of the e-ciggie and got my "fix"

So today, I start the process of quitting smoking. I'm trying out the e-cigarette route, hopefully this time I can knock it on the head once and for all.

Have not had a ciggie as yet today. So the fact I've used the e-ciggie a few times must surely be better then having had at least 2 cigarettes this morning? I've only had about 5 drags of the e-ciggie and got my "fix"

Nice! I've set my stop date as this friday.

good luck :thumbup:

Day 2 for me of no smoking. Its the third time ive quit in 5 years. The first time i lasted over a year and the second time 8 months. It only takes one drunken night and a few drags to get hooked again. Will try avoid the same mistakes this time but you never know.

Nice! I've set my stop date as this friday.

Day 2 for me of no smoking. Its the third time ive quit in 5 years. The first time i lasted over a year and the second time 8 months. It only takes one drunken night and a few drags to get hooked again. Will try avoid the same mistakes this time but you never know.

You CAN do it!!!!! 3 years and 8 months ... and counting for me. Vasbyt.

I tell you what, I still have not had one ciggie or craved a ciggie since I've been using the e-ciggie today. So far so good. I normally would have had about 5/6 by now. Worth a try, and that way if I do get a craving one drunken night you have something to fall back on.

I have an e ciggie . Its how i quit the first time. The second time i went cold turkey and this time too. I am sweating a bit but i think thats just cos its flippin warm in cape town today. So far no cravings , even sitting next to my wife while she is having a smoke

I tell you what, I still have not had one ciggie or craved a ciggie since I've been using the e-ciggie today. So far so good. I normally would have had about 5/6 by now. Worth a try, and that way if I do get a craving one drunken night you have something to fall back on.

I'm going to give nicorettes a bash.

Sorry Caerus don't take this the wrong way but that bold bit is your problem right there. You programming your mind to always have something to go back to. I stopped smoking by reading the book by Alan Carr. I don't know what actually made me stop but whilst reading that book I became pretty excited to stop, and once i did stop all I had to do was keep reminding myself I am now a Non Smoker.