Smoking and Cycling

Slowbee

Can remember the first training ride we did in Stellies just after you quit. Was hard on you. These days it's a lot easier on the bike for you.

yes wannabe it was horrible i remember getting left so far behind i couldn't catch the group at all, even the sweepers couldn't help me keep up. since then i have given up smoking , hit the gym 3-4 times a week and ride atleast 30-50km a week. i might not be a sub three argus rider but cycling and that day in stellies really opened my eyes

KICK THE HABIT AND LIVE BETTER ! NUFF SAID !

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have smoked for 43 years. Have tried to stop a few times over the years but never lasted more than 1 or 2 days. This time I am using the electric cigarette and am now on day 5.

This coming March will be my 1 year anniversary as a non-smoker after having smoked for 11 years.

No matter how fit you get, you'll never beat any non-smoker as oxygen absorption and clearing of carbon dioxide from your blood is negatively affected.

I sleep much better, feel much healthier on the bike and of course don't smell like an ashtray anymore.

Used to have high blood pressure as a result of smoking. My blood pressure now is around 110/70 last I checked.

To all current smokers, just go cold turkey as I did. It's hard in the beginning but gets easier. Remove all things that will cause you to relapse.

I stopped drinking coffee and also VERY RARELY do I drink any booze which removes any excuse I may of had for slipping a cig into my mouth.

Hi. This has been going since 2010 and it's great... Would like to know if any of the guys that started the group are still on the quitters list... I'm also doing my best to be on that list.... But some days more than others I just want one and I dare you to try stop me... How do you get past it...Well done to those who have and good luck to those trying.

• 2 weeks later...

Howzit Fanie,

Still going strong on my side.

Thanks for all the comments and support. I am approaching DAY 70 !! Whoop whoop...I celebrate everyday that I have successfully given up and dont go back stupidly. I gave up for Five years previously and started smoking again by being too KLEVA and having a celebratory cigar... I will not be making that mistake again...

I AM JUST LOVING THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF QUITTING AND WALKING AROUND BUMPING INTO OLD FRIENDS AND NOT THINKING THAT I STINK LIKE AN "ARSETRAY" I MEAN ASHTRAY....

Edited by Ryanie

• 4 weeks later...

been too quiet here.

How's it going quitters?

still smoke free and heading to my first Argus.

I am really starting to see some results and my times for specific races have vastly improved since I quit

been too quiet here.

How's it going quitters?

still smoke free and heading to my first Argus.

I am really starting to see some results and my times for specific races have vastly improved since I quit

Well fresh quitter here. 61 days now. Only 150Km into cycling again but already feeling better and healthier. Some days it's hard but just have to remind myself, not even one puff ever again.

And having R1000 a month to spend on other goodies is pretty awesome.

Rode at Suikers a few weeks back and while we were parking I saw 2 okes having a pre-ride smoke. I shook my head wondering how the hell anyone can breathe properly climbing around that place with that kind of start. A while later we caught them and they had stopped mid ride for another cigarette, in the middle of the road, smoke blowing across the tar for us healthy folk to inhale. (I had to stop myself from pepper spraying, punching, then trying to moer them with my bike). We carried on, then waited for our wimmen to catch up, so the Gunston gang passed us. The next time we caught them they were both now smoking while riding. Does ones body become so dependent on ciggs that they can't ride without a puff...?

Rode at Suikers a few weeks back and while we were parking I saw 2 okes having a pre-ride smoke. I shook my head wondering how the hell anyone can breathe properly climbing around that place with that kind of start. A while later we caught them and they had stopped mid ride for another cigarette, in the middle of the road, smoke blowing across the tar for us healthy folk to inhale. (I had to stop myself from pepper spraying, punching, then trying to moer them with my bike). We carried on, then waited for our wimmen to catch up, so the Gunston gang passed us. The next time we caught them they were both now smoking while riding. Does ones body become so dependent on ciggs that they can't ride without a puff...?

My first ever "long" mtb ride I stopped every 10km to have a smoke, so I can believe this type of behaviour.

p.s. at one stage I smoked almost 60 a day so my "craving" was something else, think chicken licken hotwings advert x 1000

My first ever "long" mtb ride I stopped every 10km to have a smoke, so I can believe this type of behaviour.

p.s. at one stage I smoked almost 60 a day so my "craving" was something else, think chicken licken hotwings advert x 1000

Sheeperz...! Your life must be so much better in so many ways now.

• 2 weeks later...