Smoking and Cycling

Slowbee

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been clean for about 21 years now, but was on 70 a day, if I had a late night. I battled to give up, tried 3 times until the final one.

Some hints which might be useful for some.

I set myself targets... first one to stop for 1 day, then 2, then a week, then 2 weeks, then a month, then 2 months etc.

Also I ate a 3X mint every time I wanted a smoke, it's easier to give up 3X mints than smoking!

Anyway, this worked for me.

Smoking, apart from all it's well known issues is simply a huge nuisance, remembering to buy, cleaning up etc etc, doesn't even make you high... or drunk!

Any idea of what damage smoking has done to your lungs. And will it ever recover. I smoked for 18 years and probably smoked more than 20 a day for at least 10 years.

Saw some graphs off Google that shows I may have lost as much 20 % of lung capacity. Kills me on the hills. Always battling on them

Ive been battling with smoking for years. Mostly because I like smoking!

But since I quite smoking Ive noticed an increase in performance.

The only time I dont miss smoking is when Im riding. So I keep riding :thumbup:

Same here. Going to quit again on monday. I did pretty well before I relapsed. Any how. Well done all of you!!

Same here. Going to quit again on monday. I did pretty well before I relapsed. Any how. Well done all of you!!

Hey no problem, all you have to do is try and quit again.

Last cigarette smoked on 29 November 2013. I celebrated 12 months Nicotene free on 30 November 2014. What an amazing and liberating feeling. My life, decisions, places I eat, people I visit and how I spend my time are no longer ruled by my Nicotene addiction!! I don't have to nervously check my pocket when I leave the house for my Ciggies. I don't have to check my stock driving home late at night or panic when I realise that I may run out..WHOOP WHOOP! I love it!

I had given up and failed before and I have learnt that you should NEVER take the fact that you gave up or have given up for granted. Don't ever dabble in a situation where you suspect that you may relapse, if anything avoid situations like this or temptation like the plague. I struggled with smoking and QUIT a few times. This LAST time I decided to QUIT for good! I realised after reading EASY WAY that we decide the strength of our conviction and in some way that strengthens our initial and subsequent resolve to never go back.

Once again I must mention how inspirational this THREAD and all my fellow QUITTERS were in helping me achieve this goal. You guys rock and have started an amazing chain of events in quite a few peoples lives. I don't take the fact that I managed to kick the dreaded habit lightly and wish all current and future QUITTERS everything of the very best in their QUITTING endeavours.

I recommend reading EASY WAY by Alan Carr. This book was a huge help to me and opened up my mind to the possibility of QUITTING successfully. I also made use of Champix which helped me tremendously also.

All you SMOKERS out there, QUIT while you can, if I could do it so could you!

P.S I quit over the Festive Period and truthfully it was quite easy.. makes you think doesn't it....c'mon you can do it!

Edited by Ryanie

Guest DieBees

So about two months ago I decided to put the E-cig down and see how long I could hold out.Havent had a smoke since.

Cant really say I feel better though,as I have been sick for the past three weeks.Hopefully I will get well soon and be able to enjoy some smoke free cycling.

When I quit years ago I was also sick at first for about three weeks. I guess it is like your body getting rid of all the kakkas.

When I quit years ago I was also sick at first for about three weeks. I guess it is like your body getting rid of all the kakkas.

I am realy hoping this is the case as I am not looking forward to a sickly December Vacation.

• 1 month later...

Howzit quitters?

hope everyone is keeping strong.

any new quitters?

Well I am on my 2nd day... I think I have tried quiting more times than I have had sex. But I'm really sick of the habit and alles. Feeling good about it!

Well I am on my 2nd day... I think I have tried quiting more times than I have had sex. But I'm really sick of the habit and alles. Feeling good about it!

You just have to keep trying! Took me several goes over the years and now its year 5 for me. Just keep busy and stay away from other smokers and the pub!

You just have to keep trying! Took me several goes over the years and now its year 5 for me. Just keep busy and stay away from other smokers and the pub!

Well done!! My wife still smokes but it does not phase me to much but it does make it harder. Leaving beer out of my diet for the time being so hopefully I can lose some og December...

Left the normal ciggies, will do the e-cig for another month or 2.  Still enjoying the smoke!

Left the normal ciggies, will do the e-cig for another month or 2. Still enjoying the smoke!

I'm on nicorettes for a bit.