Smoking and Cycling

Slowbee

20 Months

I smoked for 28 years.

I did a test on myself.

Rode the Karkloof 30 km track the day I had my last smoke. Did the same track 6 months later, and then again on 1 year.

My breathing on all the steep hills is so much easier.

But I will never be that "ex smoker holier than thou chop" like so many ex smokers become

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never understood why smokers think it acceptable to drop cigarette buts out of car windows? And these are normally quite socially responsible people that would never consider littering!

Can anyone explain that to me? :wacko:

Lekker guys! My wife still smokes so the first few days are hard but doable. When I quit, a month or so later my strava results are better than when I smoked.

20 Months

I smoked for 28 years.

I did a test on myself.

Rode the Karkloof 30 km track the day I had my last smoke. Did the same track 6 months later, and then again on 1 year.

My breathing on all the steep hills is so much easier.

But I will never be that "ex smoker holier than thou chop" like so many ex smokers become

I agree man live and let live.

coming up on my 2 year anniversary :clap: :clap:

if I can do it anyone can.

stay strong Pieter :thumbup:

Well done Fanie, It's bloody hard, even after 8 1/2 years I still get the urge to have a drag at times, but luckily the oke that I used to bum smokes from has had to give up.

Stuff that, I hate it when people smoke around me, and I'll let them know it.

Edited by deanbean

I've never understood why smokers think it acceptable to drop cigarette buts out of car windows? And these are normally quite socially responsible people that would never consider littering!

Can anyone explain that to me? :wacko:

So true! And no, I cannot explain it to you.

I have been on a E-sigarette for 10 months now,havent touched a normal sigarette in this period,although I still get cravings.

I mix the nicotine level in my E-sig very low and find it to be a good placebo to keep me from smoking.

Now I just have to find something to get me off the E-sig......

I have been on a E-sigarette for 10 months now,havent touched a normal sigarette in this period,although I still get cravings.

I mix the nicotine level in my E-sig very low and find it to be a good placebo to keep me from smoking.

Now I just have to find something to get me off the E-sig......

Also on the ecig for 7 months now. Not had any cravings for normal cigarettes again. It is not the ultimate, but it is cleaner.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, September 13, 2014 at 94.7 Joburg day I partied hard, drank and smoked till my heart was content, but 3 or 4 weeks prior  to Joburg day I kept telling my self I want to quit smoking! Anyhow on way back from Joburg day I smoked my last Cig and decided not to buy another pack, Low and behold September the 13 2014 was the last day I smoked, just over 3 weeks now, I am super proud of myself and look forward to living a healthier lifestyle. I am also a newbie to the whole MTB lifestyle and can also feel that my ride has improved now that I quit smoking!!  

Ps to those who want to quit, your body will tell when its had enough of smoking and that will make it that much easier to quit!!! that's my experience!

Edited by M3NACE

Hi all, September 13, 2014 at 94.7 Joburg day I partied hard, drank and smoked till my heart was content, but 3 or 4 weeks prior  to Joburg day I kept telling my self I want to quit smoking! Anyhow on way back from Joburg day I smoked my last Cig and decided not to buy another pack, Low and behold September the 13 2014 was the last day I smoked, just over 3 weeks now, I am super proud of myself and look forward to living a healthier lifestyle. I am also a newbie to the whole MTB lifestyle and can also feel that my ride has improved now that I quit smoking!!  

Ps to those who want to quit, your body will tell when its had enough of smoking and that will make it that much easier to quit!!! that's my experience!

well done dude....give yourself small goals to achieve because while the nicotine is now out your system, you have not kicked the "habit" yet. Avoid booze as much as possible for the next couple of months and whenver you feel the urge go for a run/walk/ride if possible. Your brain will get the endorphins it craves from exercise as opposed to the cigs...weeks will become months...months will become years and years will become decades.

Remember...a quit smoker thinks less about smoking again than a smoker thinks about quitting....dont even have one puff!

• 2 weeks later...

I may be going off on a tangent here, but from a smokers point of view this is what I did... I read Easy Way and realised that your thinking as a smoker was skewed...

( Alan Carr says that "Smokers are generally more successful and driven individuals"..go figure I RECOMMEND READING THE BOOK)

I decided to HATE smoking and everything that it stood for and was about.. I effectively turned my mind against anything smoking related.. Grew to despise SMOKING with all that I had.

Today I believe wholeheartedly that SMOKING is DUMB!! It is not just a Social Peculiarity..it is a KILLER...a delayed form of suicide with a tragic twist in that when you realize that you have killed yourself, it is almost always too late, and often only then does one SEE the TRUTH from the marketing rubbish.

I don't miss smoking..

I don't feel a nostalgic craving every now and then

I don't feel all whimsical when I see someone smoking or lighting up

I see smokers as the deluded and sad individuals that they and indeed I once was

I see SMOKING for what it truly is..

A cloak and dagger industry trading in CANCER, MISERY and DEATH..cleverly discussed in a Tailored Suit of coolness and blind indifference

A VULGAR and dim witted 'flipping of "the Bird" at the Creator and Life itself 

A runaway train with the GRIM REAPER as the conductor reminding you with a psychotic grin at every clickety clack.. ''"Next Stop ....your funeral Pal!"

And I sat in a FIRST CLASS seat for too many years..

So I am "OVER IT..." one would say

And hopefully I can salvage the health that I have left and what ever precious time that has slipped through the Reapers bony fingers...

And perhaps my desperate attempts to save a few others can wipe that smug grin off Mr Reaper (AKA BIG TOBACCO's) gaunt shadowy facade...

Ja I know OVER THE TOP..but I don't care..keep your COOL POINTS.. I choose life for myself, my loved ones, my family, my friends and anyone else that will lend an ear...

DONT WAIT QUIT NOW!!

Edited by Ryanie

• 1 month later...

Ive been battling with smoking for years. Mostly because I like smoking!

But since I quite smoking Ive noticed an increase in performance. 

The only time I dont miss smoking is when Im riding. So I keep riding :thumbup:

There is a certain company that manufactures cigarettes that also produces medical gear used mostly in the treatment of terminal/ seriously diseased patients due to tobacco useage. Go google

So about two months ago I decided to put the E-cig down and see how long I could hold out.Havent had a smoke since.

Cant really say I feel better though,as I have been sick for the past three weeks.Hopefully I will get well soon and be able to enjoy some smoke free cycling.